Thread: Vending machines gone in schools?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Vending machines gone in schools?

It's seems the First Lady is pushing to remove vending machines with unhealthy food from schools across the country.

Definitely goes too far, IMO. It's one thing to make people aware of a healthy lifestyle. It's another to take away the options. Seems like this will be supported fully by Obamacare as a way to reduce health costs. This will be the start of something much larger in the government telling us what we can and can't do as it relates to our health.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Vending machines gone in schools?

A state judge has knocked down New York City's ban on big, sugary drinks last March of 2013. Same thing, no?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A state judge has knocked down New York City's ban on big, sugary drinks last March of 2013. Same thing, no?
    I think so. Though you know how people get when it comes to "protecting" children from themselves.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't have a problem with taking vending machines out of schools. It is certainly up to the school district to make a decision like that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I don't have a problem with taking vending machines out of schools. It is certainly up to the school district to make a decision like that.
    Yeah, I'm ok with it being left up to the school district, as the community votes for members of the local school boards. Nobody any higher than that level should have a say, though.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's seems the First Lady is pushing to remove vending machines with unhealthy food from schools across the country.

Definitely goes too far, IMO. It's one thing to make people aware of a healthy lifestyle. It's another to take away the options. Seems like this will be supported fully by Obamacare as a way to reduce health costs. This will be the start of something much larger in the government telling us what we can and can't do as it relates to our health.
    It would be one thing if the President himself was pushing for it, because then we'd be looking at an attempt to legislate this. But this is coming from the First Lady. She's trying to influence, not legislate.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    It would be one thing if the President himself was pushing for it, because then we'd be looking at an attempt to legislate this. But this is coming from the First Lady. She's trying to influence, not legislate.
    Yeah, I'm with you here, this is no more offensive to me than say the "Say no to drugs" campaign of yesteryear. The war on drugs is a major quagmire, if we begin arresting parents of obese children or closing schools that offer vending machines with FDA raids I'll grow more concerned!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Thread Information