Thread: Jason Collins signed

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Jason Collins signed

Jason Collins was signed to a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets yesterday. He played for 11 minutes. He makes history by being the first openly gay athlete to play in any of the "big 4" North American sports. Agree, disagree, or other, he has made history. Hopefully the hoopla will die down and it won't have to be a news story each and every time this happens in the future.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Jason Collins signed

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Jason Collins was signed to a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets yesterday. He played for 11 minutes. He makes history by being the first openly gay athlete to play in any of the "big 4" North American sports. Agree, disagree, or other, he has made history. Hopefully the hoopla will die down and it won't have to be a news story each and every time this happens in the future.
    Stuff like this is ridiculous. Jason Collins has been in the league for 12 years. He isn't any different now than he was 12 years ago. I hate how people scream for equality then want to highlight our differences.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Stuff like this is ridiculous. Jason Collins has been in the league for 12 years. He isn't any different now than he was 12 years ago. I hate how people scream for equality then want to highlight our differences.
    Usually I would be the first one to agree with you on this. I'm not big on the whole "celebrating diversity" thing. But I'm ok with this, because it's the first.

I do question the purpose of the signing though. There are several other players out there who are younger, have played more in the last couple years, and could perform just as well or better. It is New York and the media attention is going to be there.

Either way, I hope that the hype doesn't last more than a couple days, then dies down, and we don't have to hear about it with every similar instance, for the reason you stated.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thread Information