Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,743
    Likes (Received)
    155
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    So what do you all think EBT should be like? Since most of those using EBT are those on food stamps/welfare/wic and such, where it is SUPPOSED to be used for food and such, should those who get it be allowed to buy beer, pay ladies at the strip joint and such? Should we get OFF the whole EBT card system, and go back to where food stamps were just that, Cash equivelant vouchers for food only?

    http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/.../?subscriber=1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,270
    Likes (Received)
    264
    Thanks (Received)
    35

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    I think the WIC system is on point. Each WIC coupon lists items and quantity. The coupons are exchanged for those items only. Too easy. A similar system for food stamps, or nothing at all. Under no circumstances should "food stamps" or any other tax-payer funded assistance be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or other "wants". They are for "needs".
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    551
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Received)
    19

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    WiC is good and the EBT should be following suit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,512
    Likes (Received)
    179
    Thanks (Received)
    39

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    In the state of Ohio, only food can be purchased with an EBT card. No alcohol, no tobacco, no paper products (paper towels, toilet tissue, etc.,) no cleaning gear. Food, and food only. If someone is caught letting another use the card, and the second party is not listed on the paperwork, the card holder's privileges are revoked.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,743
    Likes (Received)
    155
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I think the WIC system is on point. Each WIC coupon lists items and quantity. The coupons are exchanged for those items only. Too easy. A similar system for food stamps, or nothing at all. Under no circumstances should "food stamps" or any other tax-payer funded assistance be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or other "wants". They are for "needs".
    One thing i have always wondered about WIC is are Guys who have newborns (say mom dies in child birth) eligible for it, or is it only for women?


    In the state of Ohio, only food can be purchased with an EBT card. No alcohol, no tobacco, no paper products (paper towels, toilet tissue, etc.,) no cleaning gear. Food, and food only. If someone is caught letting another use the card, and the second party is not listed on the paperwork, the card holder's privileges are revoked.
    I have heard of that revoking of "use of it" before, but how often is it enforced?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,029
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Thanks (Received)
    46

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    I think what you can use the EBT for varies from state to state, as does what the EBT accounts serve. For instance, in my state, all state benefits are distro'd through EBT, whether it's a "cash" benefit or something else (like SNAP) with a specific intent. I can't remember exactly, but there was a big stink about this a couple years ago locally. Some idiot was using his EBT card to get cash from an ATM in a strip club. Anyway, it was a big fuss and an investigation followed. Turns out it was a mole hill/mountain situation...something like 99% of the uses of EBT were for exactly what was intended.

    Is there some misuse and fraud? Yes. But any system will have some. EBT as a method of distributing benefits has it's flaws, but it has many more positives. At least in my opinion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,270
    Likes (Received)
    264
    Thanks (Received)
    35

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    One thing i have always wondered about WIC is are Guys who have newborns (say mom dies in child birth) eligible for it, or is it only for women?
    Depending on the state, the child should still get vouchers. Nothing would be in Dad's name. The mother also gets vouchers if breast feeding (again - depnding on the state). Should the mom not breast feed, or the mom is not present, the vouchers for the child are modified to account for this. I can only speak for the states in which I witnessed the process: Texas & Maine. Makes sense, however, that this would be the case across the board.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,993
    Likes (Received)
    166
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So what do you all think EBT should be like? Since most of those using EBT are those on food stamps/welfare/wic and such, where it is SUPPOSED to be used for food and such, should those who get it be allowed to buy beer, pay ladies at the strip joint and such? Should we get OFF the whole EBT card system, and go back to where food stamps were just that, Cash equivelant vouchers for food only?

    http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/.../?subscriber=1
    Glad it can be used for pot now in CO. Since, you know, baked brownies is actually foor, and EBT is for food type items.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,993
    Likes (Received)
    166
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I think the WIC system is on point. Each WIC coupon lists items and quantity. The coupons are exchanged for those items only. Too easy. A similar system for food stamps, or nothing at all. Under no circumstances should "food stamps" or any other tax-payer funded assistance be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or other "wants". They are for "needs".
    I think WIC is sexist. Why cant single fathers with kids under 5 recieve WIC?
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,993
    Likes (Received)
    166
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    I think what you can use the EBT for varies from state to state, as does what the EBT accounts serve. For instance, in my state, all state benefits are distro'd through EBT, whether it's a "cash" benefit or something else (like SNAP) with a specific intent. I can't remember exactly, but there was a big stink about this a couple years ago locally. Some idiot was using his EBT card to get cash from an ATM in a strip club. Anyway, it was a big fuss and an investigation followed. Turns out it was a mole hill/mountain situation...something like 99% of the uses of EBT were for exactly what was intended.

    Is there some misuse and fraud? Yes. But any system will have some. EBT as a method of distributing benefits has it's flaws, but it has many more positives. At least in my opinion.
    True, but if the private charity is misused, say a church food pantry, there is no more help for people, or that person who misused it. But the government can keep plugging along as people who abuse the system keep abusing the system.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •