Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No babies allowed? What's your thoughts>

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default No babies allowed? What's your thoughts>

So. With the recent issue in Chicago about the 8 month old at Alinea, a fine dining (meaning pricy as heck!) restaurant disrupting all the other patrons dinners, is bringing up the chatter about making no baby zones, or having restaurants go babyless (since there are enough "Family restaurants for those who want to bring their kids to)..

So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: No babies allowed? What's your thoughts>

It's a free country. Entrepreneurs should be allowed to allow and prohibit whomever they so choose from patronizing their establishment. If you think it's a valid business model and/or your convictions run that deeply, knock yourself out. If you don't want "my kind" (whatever that may be), then I sure as hell don't see why I need to pay you for that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    If the AF is going to treat us like we're in Kindergarten - I wish they'd start up "nap time" after lunch...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post
    It's a free country. Entrepreneurs should be allowed to allow and prohibit whomever they so choose from patronizing their establishment. If you think it's a valid business model and/or your convictions run that deeply, knock yourself out. If you don't want "my kind" (whatever that may be), then I sure as hell don't see why I need to pay you for that attitude.
    1. I agree.

2. However, a few years ago Rand Paul found himself answering accusations of racism because of this issue. His view is that a private business owner should have the right to serve/not serve anyone without having to justify his decision. This, rightly so, raised the specter of a return to whites-only establishments should this become policy. So I agree with some misgivings.

3. Regarding this specific issue; I don't think kids should be in upscale locales until they can reliably behave properly. FYI, I'm not a big fan of kids in general. I'm so glad mine are adults now.

4. We had a thread about this sometime in 2013. It began with a post about a restaurant (here in FL, I think) that refused to allow children.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It is sad that a restaurant would chose to do this.
    It is more sad that parents would take a baby to such a place. They probably made reservations a year or more ago...
    If your child starts acting up/crying (whether 8 months or 8 years of age), time to excuse yourself and take child outside. If can't be resolved (more than likely it won't), get your dinner in a to-go box.
    Same thing for church, concert, what ever...(except for the to-go box...haven't seen a take out communion, yet)
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    It is sad that a restaurant would chose to do this.
    It is more sad that parents would take a baby to such a place. They probably made reservations a year or more ago...
    If your child starts acting up/crying (whether 8 months or 8 years of age), time to excuse yourself and take child outside. If can't be resolved (more than likely it won't), get your dinner in a to-go box.
    Same thing for church, concert, what ever...(except for the to-go box...haven't seen a take out communion, yet)

Spot on !! This (bolded) is where the selfishness of some parents become apparent. Neither of my boys was always an angel and could raise a ruckus from time to time, even in public. Never lasted more than 5 seconds without either me or their mother taking them out of whatever public venue we happened to be in.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It's pathetic that each public event or movie starts with the "silence your phone" message and that many businesses (and doctor's offices) have signs saying not to use your phone.

Just WTF is so important??
    Having heard half of hundreds of cell phone conversations, I know the answer: NOTHING!!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    It's pathetic that each public event or movie starts with the "silence your phone" message and that many businesses (and doctor's offices) have signs saying not to use your phone.
    What's even worse, is there never seems to be any retribution by the facility against those who ignore that message..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Restaurants, and every other business, should be able to limit customers, if they are willing to lose customers. No difference than "No shoes, no shirt, no service". That pretty much keeps have of southerners out of most stores/restaurants.

As others have mentioned, the problem isn't the crying baby. The problem is that parents are not willing to take care of the issue.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This comes up 2 or 3 times a year. Makes the media rounds and the businesses are none the worse for it (if not better off from the free publicity).

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The place in question starts at $210 per person. Not something really suitable for babies or small children. I know if I'd paid that much for a quiet evening out I'd be ticked to have it spoiled by a crying baby. There are just some places where it's not appropriate to bring children. I can't believe the number of parents who bring kids to bars, for example, then get huffy about the language in there. Hello - it's a bar. Your snookums doesn't belong in there until they're 21. You being them in, you accept the atmosphere as it is.

Poor parenting is also a problem. Why on earth do parents think it's ok to let junior scream and subject everyone else to the noise? All we should be hearing is a rapidly diminishing wail towards the exit. And I expect that at "family" restaurants too, such as Ruby Tuesday.

It's gotten so I'd pay more for a childfree evening out and I'm willing to bet the patrons of the expensive restaurant thought that's what they were getting.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Thread Information