Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Vet?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Homeless Vet?

http://m.military.com/daily-news/201...elessness.html
    Curious what everyone's thought are on this one....

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Homeless Vet?

Sad that a retired O-6 can not manage his funds in order to keep things right side up.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

A retired 0-6 makes a bit over 6g a month. extract taxes, SBP, tri-care, and however much his ex's were awarded, he isn't left with much. He apparently has enough to feed himself and put gas in his car. He may need to talk to his sons in school about alternate ways to pay their way. I know times are tough in the job market. It's possible he didn't cast wide enough net. There is work out there, you just have to be creative of mind. I'm not going to beat up on a man that is down on his luck though. A few life changing events, and that could be any one of us.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    A retired 0-6 makes a bit over 6g a month. extract taxes, SBP, tri-care, and however much his ex's were awarded, he isn't left with much. He apparently has enough to feed himself and put gas in his car. He may need to talk to his sons in school about alternate ways to pay their way. I know times are tough in the job market. It's possible he didn't cast wide enough net. There is work out there, you just have to be creative of mind. I'm not going to beat up on a man that is down on his luck though. A few life changing events, and that could be any one of us.
    No pity...Too many factors in his control. Being able to survive and not be homeless on half of what he's making. I'm sure if he was willing to take a job under a CEO position he'd be fine. Probably hard, though, not having a Lt or Captain to run around and take care of everything for him.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can rent the Colonel a van, down by the river.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

From the article I read, he couldn't get a janitorial job. I don't have a lot of pity either. I don't really believe in pity. But, I do understand situations, and how they can quickly change for the worse. It's a tough thing to face, being employed your entire adult life, and then suddenly but not unforeseen, you are out of a job. I've yet to experience the whole divorce thing, and how that affects your bottom line.

I've seen my share of homeless vets on bases. I remember when my unit was move to McGuire in 94. I showed up there and live in billeting for 2 weeks. Every evening when I walked by the day room, there was a retiree sitting, or laying on the couch in there. I realized he was sleeping there, and going to the gym probably to bathe. When I started flying alot of missions from there, we noticed the same group of retirees, flying between McGuire, and Travis. I got to talking to a -141 guy who told me that there were homeless retirees, that would fly coast to coast constantly. I don't know if they were looking for work at the two bases or what. My friend had a storage unit outside the main gate. One night we were moving his stuff in and we noticed the unit right next to his was open and crammed full to the door with stuff, and a bicycle sitting next to it. We realized that it was a guy we saw on base a lot, and figured he was homeless and living in the unit. And then there was the station wagon guy you saw all over base. The car was so full of stuff, he barely had room for himself in the drivers seat. He was living out of the car.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

30 year retired 0-6 pay is about $7500 a month, 90k per year. Assume 35% for taxes (federal, FICA, state) leaves about 50K per year...but let's just go with the 40K the article mentions. 2 ex-wives...probably one of whom gets 1/2 his pension, 2 kids in college...yep, probably doesn't have a lot of money to throw around. Homeless, though? There's a lot the article doesn't tell us, so it's hard to have sympathy for the guy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    30 year retired 0-6 pay is about $7500 a month, 90k per year. Assume 35% for taxes (federal, FICA, state) leaves about 50K per year...but let's just go with the 40K the article mentions. 2 ex-wives...probably one of whom gets 1/2 his pension, 2 kids in college...yep, probably doesn't have a lot of money to throw around. Homeless, though? There's a lot the article doesn't tell us, so it's hard to have sympathy for the guy.
    I'm in agreement with you. I can empathize with the Col but I won't sympathize with him. At least he has income coming in and his medical benefits which makes him better off than most homeless people.

One problem I have with people highlighting the plight of homeless vets is they treat the problem as if every vet is that way is because the military deserted them. The fact is most people who are homeless are so because they can't find a job, lack job skills employers are looking for, lived a life style above their pay, and/or made poor life decisions. Some factors they can't control and that's understandable. The other factors, like their life styles and life decisions, they do have control over.

When people talk of vets they think of people who retired from the military but there are other categories of vets. Those who complete one or two enlistments and then get out are vets as are those who were disabled while in military service. My concern would be more towards those injured while in military because the military has a morale obligation to help them. The one- or two-termers who got out made that decision and received some benefits for their service. Retirees, like myself, get a retirement check as well as medical benefits. If I were to become homeless I wouldn't expect the military or the government to treat me special just because I'm a vet.

What I said above may sound cold but it really isn't. It's a recognition that to a significant degree people have to take control of their lives and the decisions they've made. Governments at all levels have a duty to those who are without resources to help them with only the basics needs (food, shelter, warmth, etc.) and since the military/VA helps disabled vet I see no need to make the rest of the veterans into a special protected class.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    IMO its partly his own fault for marring twice and divorcing both times.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My thoughts on this are pretty simple. He makes more doing "nothing" as a O6 retiree, even when you consider the ex and all, than a lot of poverty level families make actually working. I chalk his issue up to the standard "poor life choices" vs. the typical "homeless vet" who did 1-2 tours and got out without any real benefits and no real marketable skills.

Thread Information