Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,744
    Likes (Received)
    155
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Well in many of the threads we had at the beginning of the year on the DOMA strikedown and other articles of news in relation to the increase in gay rights states many against it said it would lead to more push from Polygamists to recognize and legalize their status..
    Guess they were right.

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,029
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Thanks (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Try reading the actual judges ruling... https://ecf.utd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin...c?211cv0652-78

    And you might want to actually read the article the opinion piece is based on... http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/justic...law/index.html

    Only in the most simple sense is your statement correct... yes, some people meme'd "the fall of DOMA is the rise of [insert cause here]"...and this case is about polygamy, one of the 'evils' that people said would spread far and wide, along with beastiality, child porn, child abuse, Islam, and whatever other bigotry or bias they have. So yea, polygamy is being discussed following the SCOTUS ruling on DOMA. It was being discussed before the ruling, too, whether you were aware of it or not. In point of fact, the very lawsuit in the opinion piece, is from 2 years ago, long before the DOMA ruling.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    172
    Likes (Received)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    They should legalize polygamy. Why not? Who does it hurt any more than legalizing gay marriage. Love is love

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,706
    Likes (Received)
    720
    Thanks (Received)
    75

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid View Post
    They should legalize polygamy. Why not? Who does it hurt any more than legalizing gay marriage. Love is love
    Agree...if all are consenting adults, then who's to say how many people should be involved.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pentagon
    Posts
    42
    Likes (Received)
    19
    Thanks (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    But...it's weird...and I want to legislate my morals upon other people...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,660
    Likes (Received)
    357
    Thanks (Received)
    56

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Try reading the actual judges ruling... https://ecf.utd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin...c?211cv0652-78

    And you might want to actually read the article the opinion piece is based on... http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/justic...law/index.html

    Only in the most simple sense is your statement correct... yes, some people meme'd "the fall of DOMA is the rise of [insert cause here]"...and this case is about polygamy, one of the 'evils' that people said would spread far and wide, along with beastiality, child porn, child abuse, Islam, and whatever other bigotry or bias they have. So yea, polygamy is being discussed following the SCOTUS ruling on DOMA. It was being discussed before the ruling, too, whether you were aware of it or not. In point of fact, the very lawsuit in the opinion piece, is from 2 years ago, long before the DOMA ruling.
    I wouldn't argue there was probably a desire to stir the pot a little but the basis of the prohibition on polygamy is identical to the prohibition on same-sex marriage so it can't be dismissed quite as easily (with any credibility that is) by lumping it into other acts and practices viewed as an anathema in our society.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,029
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Thanks (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I wouldn't argue there was probably a desire to stir the pot a little but the basis of the prohibition on polygamy is identical to the prohibition on same-sex marriage so it can't be dismissed quite as easily (with any credibility that is) by lumping it into other acts and practices viewed as an anathema in our society.
    Exactly, so when it is (lumped together) by opponents, it's fairly difficult to take them seriously.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,744
    Likes (Received)
    155
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    And since people are saying with Gay marriage its no longer Anthema, why should Polygamy still be that way.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,029
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Thanks (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Libby Copeland over at slate.com has a really good article, with referenced links supporting her statements that covers much of the answer to your question:

    http://www.slate.com/articles/double..._polygamy.html

    The "bottom line" at the end of the article:
    Polygamy may actually exacerbate inequities in wealth and gender that hurt societies, even if the institution itself appears neutral.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,671
    Likes (Received)
    232
    Thanks (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Gay equality, now what of Polygamy?

    Simple stance on it, if you like the idea, as do any who choose to congregate in such an arrangement, try it out and see if it actually works. If so, enjoy it as such, if not Goddamn that could be a ridiculous amount of alimony!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •