Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

From the Huffington Post:

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) A North Texas teen from an affluent family was sentenced to probation this week after he killed four pedestrians when he lost control of his speeding pickup truck while driving drunk, a punishment that outraged the victims' families and left prosecutors disappointed.

The 16-year-old boy was sentenced Tuesday in a Fort Worth juvenile court to 10 years of probation after he confessed to intoxication manslaughter in the June 15 crash on a dark rural road.

Prosecutors had sought the maximum 20 years in state custody for the Keller teen, but his attorneys appealed to state District Judge Jean Boyd that the teenager needed rehabilitation not prison, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (http://bit.ly/1f8GnvQ ) reported.

If the boy continues to be cushioned by his family's wealth, another tragedy is inevitable, prosecutor Richard Alpert said in court.

"There can be no doubt that he will be in another courthouse one day blaming the lenient treatment he received here," Alpert said.

Authorities said the teen and friends were seen on surveillance video stealing two cases of beer from a store. He had seven passengers in his Ford F-350, was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, according to testimony during the trial. His pickup truck slammed into the four pedestrians, killing Brian Jennings, a 43-year-old Burleson youth minister; Breanna Mitchell of Lillian, 24; Shelby Boyles, 21; and her 52-year-old mother, Hollie Boyles.

Boyd said the programs available in the Texas juvenile justice system may not provide the kind of intensive therapy the teen could receive at a rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif., that was suggested by his defense attorneys. The parents would pick up the tab for the center, at a cost of more than $450,000 a year for treatment.

Scott Brown, the boy's lead defense attorney, said he could have been freed after two years if he had drawn the 20-year sentence.

But instead, the judge "fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he told the Star-Telegram.

Relatives of those killed in the accident drew little comfort from that assurance.

Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, said the family's wealth helped the teen avoid incarceration.

"Money always seems to keep you out of trouble," Boyles said. "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If you had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."

Shaunna Jennings, the minister's widow, said her family had forgiven the teen but believed a sterner punishment was needed.

"You lived a life of privilege and entitlement, and my prayer is that it does not get you out of this," she said. "My fear is that it will get you out of this."

A psychologist called as an expert defense witness said the boy suffered from "affluenza," growing up in a house where the parents were preoccupied with arguments that led to a divorce.

The father "does not have relationships, he takes hostages," psychologist Gary Miller said, and the mother was indulgent. "Her mantra was that if it feels good, do it," he said.
    WHAT IS THIS CRAP???

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

I have been trying not to read this whole story because the more I read the more pissed I get about it. But I think this kid better watch out because I bet some "good ol boy" will take care of him.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

So many strange things have been coming out of Texas lately. What has happened to that state?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid View Post
    From the Huffington Post:

WHAT IS THIS CRAP???

Well if the kid suffered from being too rich to understand his crimes, all this does is emphasise it. AS a kid his parents never punished him for wrong doing, now the state is doing the same. So he will NEVER learn.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Well if the kid suffered from being too rich to understand his crimes, all this does is emphasise it. AS a kid his parents never punished him for wrong doing, now the state is doing the same. So he will NEVER learn.
    How is sending him to prision for life or 20 years going to teach him a lesson either. He made a mistake and he deserves a second chance. His status as being "rich" doesnt change anything. How many kids grow up being poor and dont learn to be responsible that way? I dont think the kids should be able to walk without something but spending years and years in jail isnt going to help anything.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raider8169 View Post
    How is sending him to prision for life or 20 years going to teach him a lesson either. He made a mistake and he deserves a second chance. His status as being "rich" doesnt change anything. How many kids grow up being poor and dont learn to be responsible that way? I dont think the kids should be able to walk without something but spending years and years in jail isnt going to help anything.
    He acted irresponsibly by stealing beer and stealing a truck, drinking (under age) and driving, kills four people and doesn't deserve jail time? Really?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    He acted irresponsibly by stealing beer and stealing a truck, drinking (under age) and driving, kills four people and doesn't deserve jail time? Really?
    It sounds odd but yes. Hear me out, this guy grew up with the understanding he can do no wrong. Many people grow up like this. He got stupid one night and while he killed people because of his actions it doesnt mean he should go to jail. He should be punished, but how is sending him to jail for the next 20 years going to help? I think if he did go to jail it would be deserving but he still has to live with his actions for the rest of his life. If that isnt punishment I dont know what it. Granted he may think he is invincible now, so another punishment would be in order. Take away his driving until he is 40, make him serve probation for the rest of this life, who cares. Point in the matter is that he needs to face the family of those he killed. He needs to make amends to them, he cant do that in jail.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

but how is sending him to jail for the next 20 years going to help?
    That kid should languish in prison for many years. We need to make an example of that kid. If that kid suffers in prison for many years, then perhaps other kids might decide to behave appropriately.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

He made a mistake and he deserves a second chance..
    "2+2=3" is a mistake. What he did was criminal. There's a difference. Stealing and drunk driving are not "mistakes". They are a crime.
    Last edited by USN - Retired; 12-13-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    That kid should languish in prison for many years. We need to make an example of that kid. If that kid suffers in prison for many years, then perhaps other kids might decide to behave appropriately.
    Really other kids? Do you really think other kids will care? When I see other NCO's get in trouble it doesnt change my way of thinking one bit. I am going to do what I am going to do reguardless of what other people do. Making an example of out him isnt going to help anyone other than people feel he got what was coming to him. That would be best for others not best for this kid. If the punishment for this is standardized and jail time is/has been always included than I would agree with jail time. However, I still dont think it would help the kid learn and be able to move on from his mistake/criminal activity if you will.

I do think he got off easy but I still dont think jail time would help him. Punish him with fines, loss of driving, not allow him to drink, AA classes, anything else to help him but I dont see jail doing that.

Thread Information