Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: College student shot by cops 6 times. Overkill or proper proceedure

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default College student shot by cops 6 times. Overkill or proper proceedure

Yet another school shooting hits the news channels, but this time it was a single student shot by cops, after supposedly wrestling with one cop, taking his night stick and attacking the cop.
    Also supposedly due to the cold, the 'camera' cop cars have to record stuff like this, had 'come unglued' just the day before (which begs the question of why was this cop car allowed out afterwards with a non functional security camera).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ffic-stop.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/texas...fficer-2013-12

So what's everyone's thoughts. Good kill, or overkill?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: College student shot by cops 6 times. Overkill or proper proceedure

I'd say insufficient information presented to determine, I'd have to wait to see what the investigation turns up to even speculate.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Agreed, too many details missing. Here's what we know:

It was 0230, nothing good happens at 0230.
    If you assault a police officer at 0230, it won't end well. Please note the words "if you".
    Nightstick? That could explain the 6 shots, the cop was probably carrying a revolver. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm looking at a GP100 but I'm not a cop.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not sure if 6 shots is overkill or not...did the first 5 stop him? Did the cop know if the first 5 stopped him. If the cop had the ability to shoot him once in the leg and stop him then, yes, it's overkill. If the cop had the alleged attacker at close range and unloaded the weapon with 6 rapid shots then maybe it's not. We all know how inaccurate pistols are. 6 quick shots as a way to ensure the guy stops is a good kill (again, I don't really know ANY of the details). If the cop shot him, walked up to him, and fired again, then it's not good.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Should've escaped in his bullet-proof car.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yay San Antonio, we're always in the news. Since moving here I've seen a ton of these school/college cops. I know absolutely nothing them. Anyone familiar with what authority they have? Jurisdiction etc? Seems a little off to me that a campus cop can shoot someone off campus the guy's apartment complex.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Yet another school shooting hits the news channels, but this time it was a single student shot by cops, after supposedly wrestling with one cop, taking his night stick and attacking the cop.
    Also supposedly due to the cold, the 'camera' cop cars have to record stuff like this, had 'come unglued' just the day before (which begs the question of why was this cop car allowed out afterwards with a non functional security camera).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ffic-stop.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/texas...fficer-2013-12

So what's everyone's thoughts. Good kill, or overkill?
    There's an old saying that goes: "Never bring a knife to a gun fight." In this case, it means that the cops surely had other means to subdue him without taking his life, if for no other reason than we will never know both sides of the story as to what started the confrontation.
    SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"To Serve and Protect" used to mean the community, many cops nowaday have the instict of "To Serve and Protect" ourselves.

One thing it seems for sure by now is that this kid was no troublemaker. I've been reading news report after news report, family, friends and/or neighbors no one has a bad thing to say about him.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    "To Serve and Protect" used to mean the community, many cops nowaday have the instict of "To Serve and Protect" ourselves.
    There is no community involvement nowadays. Cops used to walk beats and get to know the people in the area they SERVED. Now their fat assess spend their days in their cars.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    There's an old saying that goes: "Never bring a knife to a gun fight." In this case, it means that the cops surely had other means to subdue him without taking his life, if for no other reason than we will never know both sides of the story as to what started the confrontation.
    Its also the issue of the reported fallen camera cause of the glue getting too cold to stick to the dash (or window) thing that makes me question it. Had the officer known his camera was still rolling, maybe he would NOT have shot 6 times. OR maybe it might have exonerated him.

Thread Information