Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Complaint against DoD civilian

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Complaint against DoD civilian

Does anyone know how to file an official complaint against a DoD GS civilian? One was so unprofessional to me today I nearly put his teeth down his throat. We're in a class together and he's spent the week arguing with the instructors, making fun of other students, and talking throughout the lectures. Today was my turn, he made a wisecrack about me in front of the whole class and the only thing that stopped me was a very pregnant O-4 putting her hand on my arm as I started to get up. It's probably fortunate she was a woman and pregnant since a man doing the same wouldn't have stopped me.

Luckily this was right before lunch so I had time to cool down before I saw his mug again. The contractor instructor did nothing - what could he do?

Anyway, he can't represent the DoD like this. We have contractors and regular civilians in this class. He's a disgrace to the government and we need to start a paper trail on him to try to get him fired. Out of a cannon would be nice. I know its next to impossible to fire these guys but maybe it will cost him a pay raise or bonus or something.

I've tried my friend google and all I can find is ways for civilians to complain, to to file a complaint against them.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Complaint against DoD civilian

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Does anyone know how to file an official complaint against a DoD GS civilian? One was so unprofessional to me today I nearly put his teeth down his throat. We're in a class together and he's spent the week arguing with the instructors, making fun of other students, and talking throughout the lectures. Today was my turn, he made a wisecrack about me in front of the whole class and the only thing that stopped me was a very pregnant O-4 putting her hand on my arm as I started to get up. It's probably fortunate she was a woman and pregnant since a man doing the same wouldn't have stopped me.

Luckily this was right before lunch so I had time to cool down before I saw his mug again. The contractor instructor did nothing - what could he do?

Anyway, he can't represent the DoD like this. We have contractors and regular civilians in this class. He's a disgrace to the government and we need to start a paper trail on him to try to get him fired. Out of a cannon would be nice. I know its next to impossible to fire these guys but maybe it will cost him a pay raise or bonus or something.

I've tried my friend google and all I can find is ways for civilians to complain, to to file a complaint against them.
    The organization that has ownership of the class would be the logical place to complain about his behavior in class.

Give us a few more details about what he said.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It's not just the wisecrack about me that's the problem. It's the behavior over the entire course, which I've described. Arguing for long periods of time with the instructor over the material presented (which is federally developed, not instructor developed. The instructor didn't make the regs he's teaching). Talking throughout the class over the lecturer and other students. Making fun if other students inputs, mannerisms, speech, or lack of experience. It was pretty obvious from the beginning he didn't want to be there and has proceeded to make everyone miserable as a result. A mature 50 something man is acting like a 12 year old.

Mine was an input he decided to make fun of. I shared a very brief story pertaining to the lecture and he make a crack about testing other students patience in class with personal stories. Yes, guy who spent 40 minutes combined each day arguing points over and over made a crack about a 30 second anecdote. And yes, it was directed squarely at me. Straw + camel = broken back.

He did tip his chair over and fall on his ass right after lunch so that was a bonus. Unfortunately he missed striking his head.

I don't want to get the instructor in the soup because he's not a professional instructor, he's a professional instructing, if that makes any sense. He shouldn't have to put up with this behavior from a DoD employee.

If he was military I'd go to his chain of command, I suppose that's the logical step here too.
    Last edited by technomage1; 11-21-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sadly, those types of personalities are not uncommon in classrooms. I don't think you have to worry about getting the instructor in trouble.

From what you've described, the instructor is probably tired of this guy too. I'm guessing you've tried getting the instructor to clamp down on this guy?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not uncommon in classrooms in middle school, maybe. The instructor has to ask him to quiet down at least twice a day.

Were past the handling it in the classroom stage and this point. There needs to be consequences for his actions. If I'd have pushed the officer aside and decked him - and I was provoked, mind - there would be consequences for that. As there should be.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Technomage1: Contact the civilian personnel/HR function with the individual's organization. There will be a specific term (report of contact in the VA) for going this route. This in combination with an e-mail the this guy's bosses boss would be "the pen is mightier than the sword (or fist)" route.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

@Gonzo432 Thank you, I'll try that. This happened hours ago and I still just want to twist the guys head from his neck.

[UNDERSTATEMENT] It would probably be a better idea to contact HR instead. [/UNDERSTATEMENT]

His bosses boss would likely be his CO, so I'm not sure if I should do that. I don't mind approaching mine on issues but it's usually considered out of line to approach another commander outside of your organization without going to your commander first. To complicate matters he's another service's employee.

I didn't ask for this fight... but I can't let behavior like this slide.
    Last edited by technomage1; 11-21-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post

Ahh yes, the power of a pregnant woman. It's crazy what they can pull off.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Speak to others in the class to see if they will add their input to the complaint. It will add weight and impartiality. I would suggest forwarding the complaint to the tool's unit of assignment with a copy to both the Civilian Personnel Office and your own unit. Follow up with the Civilian Personnel Office. If you think they are sandbagging the process, file an IG complaint.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Excuse me for talking while you're interupting". That always makes people pause.

My guess would be that since it's a classroom environment, you (and other students) would need to complain through the org giving the class. If it were work related then you would use his chain of command.
    Getting into a fight with an asshole in class would only make things worse for you.
    Sticks and stones.

Thread Information