Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Airmen and phones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Airmen and phones

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    I can't see what the big deal is about giving your phone number to your unit as it saves you the hassle of hearing BS threats from your leadership. They ask, you give it and go about your business. But nothing says you must have the phone available at all times. Screen your calls and don't answer if you were never told you were on telephone standby. If you give a landline and get a call for a no-notice recall, just show up at work for your next scheduled work period and say you stayed at a friend's house. If you give a cell, just say you left it at home or the battery died. Sure, your leadership may not like it and may think you are lying, but let them prove it.
    I have pulled this move off before. At one unit we always had recalls at like 0530 when we normally would be reporting at 0730. I would normally just sleep through the call. At about 0630 I would respond that I got the message and I was on my way. I would then stroll in at around 0715. One time the commander got pissed at said we would keep having recalls until we could "get it right" thatw as fine with me. I kept doing the same thing anyways. Eventually, we started getting worse instead of better because other people started to catch on to the system. The bottom line is recalls are stupid. In today's world if a major incident happens you are going to hear about it on the news probably long before you get a recall message. Also It is extremely rare for a unit to deploy on less than 24 hours notice. Why do we train like we actually have that capability when in reality we do not?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    I know schools have now stopped teaching cursive, but when did reading comprehension go the way of the dodo?
    It were arount the time they start putting letters in Maff.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    It is extremely rare for a unit to deploy on less than 24 hours notice. Why do we train like we actually have that capability when in reality we do not?
    Rare, yes. I have been in two units where our string was much shorter than that. If you are in one, you know it and if you get the call, (everyone in the command carried pagers) you know you need to get your ass to work and probably wouldn't be home for a good while. Other than that, I never really got the recall thing. My boss asked me to run a com out recall a couple of years ago. Make sure everyone had maps to their houses uploaded, priorities, routes etc. I said, "Really, boss? Let's not." It wasn't that kind of place. In Guam we did it because it was very likely that we would lose power to everything including cell towers. Should be situational. Haven't seen a recall in a few years now.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As demonstrated in this thread...if you give people an inch, they will take a mile. Follow the rules of your applicable unit. I have no problem with occasional recalls.
    Last edited by KnuckleDragger; 11-12-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: EAD
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkile View Post
    Right, but then he cross-trained out of maintenance. Right?
    He was a tech school rope his entire career. The only career rope the Air Force ever had for that matter. I'm not talking about those blue rope STAs either, he was a yellow rope his entire career, impressive when you think about it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I have pulled this move off before. At one unit we always had recalls at like 0530 when we normally would be reporting at 0730. I would normally just sleep through the call. At about 0630 I would respond that I got the message and I was on my way. I would then stroll in at around 0715. One time the commander got pissed at said we would keep having recalls until we could "get it right" thatw as fine with me. I kept doing the same thing anyways. Eventually, we started getting worse instead of better because other people started to catch on to the system. The bottom line is recalls are stupid. In today's world if a major incident happens you are going to hear about it on the news probably long before you get a recall message. Also It is extremely rare for a unit to deploy on less than 24 hours notice. Why do we train like we actually have that capability when in reality we do not?
    Deploy maybe. But recalls are often used for more than just 'deploying'.
    When i worked with Naval Support activity Bahrain, recalls were used to alert everyone when the command shifted to FPCON charlie or delta, especially the latter as it prompted a recall of everyone that was needed back to base. When i worked in the Seabees or was stationed overseas in guam, they were used when "Nasty weather" had just passed to check on everyone.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Maintenance always had a good policy on this issue. For weekend standby, if you had a phone and there was no immediate work you were on telephone standby for the rest of the weekend. If you didn't have a phone you came into work until the maintenance control released you. You came in both Saturday and Sunday...there was no comp time for it either. Needless to say...maintenance guys all had telephones.
    This is the main reason why I hated working in the fighter world. Weekend standby. When I worked for Mother MAC or AMC we had the manning for a 24 hour 365 day a year schedule. How many of my maintenance brothers and sister worked all weekend 12 hour shifts just so planning did not have to change a schedule. It looks bad for stats. In the fighter world it was all about the stats how many sorties you can fly does not matter if you broke the enlisted force to do it just how many did training sorties did you fly so the wing King could get promoted. My answer to the 12 hour shifts on the weekend was change the Dam schedule. Ok Rant over but I do believe you should have a cell phone. To this day I am one of the few you will see who stills use a flip phone. If were you work does weekend standby and you are too cheap to buy a cell phone I agree bring your ASS to work until realised. Even then you have to go sit home or in the Barracks all weekend. T-Mobile will sell you a phone with no contract and 1500 minutes a month for 30 bucks a month. Shit I use to spend that much and more in the Bar on Fridays

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RetC141BFCC View Post
    To this day I am one of the few you will see who stills use a flip phone.
    I had a smart phone, but turned it off and went back to a flip phone...I love it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I had a smart phone, but turned it off and went back to a flip phone...I love it.
    I don't think I could ever go back to a dumb phone...
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglÚs con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en Úl reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    You should try the Jitterbug :-)

It doesn't have all those confusing functions and has big easy to read numbers; also, if you fall in the shower and break your hip, all you have to do is start screaming, "I've fallen and can't get up!" and it will call the fire department for you.

Thread Information