Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "God Bless America" Singer Not Actually A Retired USMC Sergeant

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default "God Bless America" Singer Not Actually A Retired USMC Sergeant

From Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/god-bless-americ...smc-1451218077

I thought this guy rocked the song. I'm not in a position to scrutinize his uniform, but apparently it didn't pass the notice of other Marines.

Someone in MLB publicity put the word retired in the wrong context here. It's kind of a bummer for him. He should have worn the uniform he actually retired in, a Mass State Trooper uniform.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: "God Bless America" Singer Not Actually A Retired USMC Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    From Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/god-bless-americ...smc-1451218077

I thought this guy rocked the song. I'm not in a position to scrutinize his uniform, but apparently it didn't pass the notice of other Marines.

Someone in MLB publicity put the word retired in the wrong context here. It's kind of a bummer for him. He should have worn the uniform he actually retired in, a Mass State Trooper uniform.
    I for one will give the guy a pass on this. Apparently he didn't put forth that he was a retired Marine, the MLB (or network) folks did that. He also was not apparently wearing awards and decorations he is not entitled to.

On to the next 'story'

(as if that will be the end of it............)

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The news (not surprisingly) messes up a lot with military issues.

The recent story about the Army Soldier whose family wanted the Sponge Bob monuments at the grave had talked about the deceased Sgt's twin sister was a Navy Officer, when she is an E-5 (Petty Officer).

The article in the OP states "When you see the word "Retired" after a Marine's rank, it means they served for at least 20 years before being granted retirement benefits." which does not account for those who are medically retired, who technically could use "Retired" as well.

The former GySgt in me is less bothered over a former Marine Sgt being given permission to wear the uniform to sing the national anthem than I am that he needs to pick up that elbow to 90 degrees from the deck when executing a hand salute.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I could care less about the "retired" part, more upset about having two hash marks, and a horrendous salute that he must have learned as a trooper. I am glad he at least had a fresh cut and shave...I have seen far to many vets putting on a uniform and looking like a piece of crap, and it irks me big time. Maybe it's just me, but if you want to put on the uniform to draw attention to yourself as a "Marine", at least take the time to not look like a bag of ass.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Who gives a shit...I don't care if someone gets into an Obama costume and sings it...the same people complaining about it disgracing the uniform are the same ones who will fail to comply with regs on a daily basis.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Who gives a shit...I don't care if someone gets into an Obama costume and sings it...the same people complaining about it disgracing the uniform are the same ones who will fail to comply with regs on a daily basis.
    That's an awfully broad brush you are wielding. Perhaps since you aren't part of the Marine community, you may not understand the significance we place in things that may be insignificant from your viewpoint.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
    That's an awfully broad brush you are wielding. Perhaps since you aren't part of the Marine community, you may not understand the significance we place in things that may be insignificant from your viewpoint.
    As long as you leave the Marine viewpoint out of your comments in the AF thread then I will agree to do the same here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I believe I try my best not to comment on how the Air Force should conduct their business, and do not tell you how things should be done in your world. I am not saying you can't have a viewpoint here, you are bsolutely allowed to comment on anything you wish, but to claim this:
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    the same people complaining about it disgracing the uniform are the same ones who will fail to comply with regs on a daily basis.
    Is nota viewpoint, it is an accusation.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This guy is singing Saturday at the opening of game 3.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  60.1 KB

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Oh, MGySgt Bagodonuts ... good to see he is still running around on the internet.

I would like your post @Absinthe Anecdote since I LOL'd, but this guy is the poster child for something I really just hate. Good one though.

Thread Information