Thread: Global Slavery stats

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Global Slavery stats

Well, after 10 years, the Global Slavery Index is out... Not sure that forced marriage/child labor really fits everyone's definition of slavery but it sure raises the # of slaves (last year the International Labor Org calculated 20.9)...to 30 million. It does make one wonder if that is the reason India tops the list....(14 million "slaves"). I wasn't surprised to see so many Asian and African countries at the top of all the lists but I WAS a bit surprised that Haiti was #2 on % of population in slavery....

Report; http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Global Slavery stats

Probably the major issue with these countries is that they were decolonized too quickly. Belgium packed up quickly and left, and Congo went to shit ten days later. The countries that colonized them did nothing to prepare them for independence; though some countries did do more than others.

Notice, for example; the countries that were colonized by the French are in far worse shape than countries that were colonized by the British.

When they say "forced" marriage, do they mean - or does that include - arranged marriages?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it if the culture allows for it. I mean, there are benefits to that. For example... I don't think dudes engage in self-destructive behavior in pursuit of poon, because a man's "status" among his peers wouldn't be based on how many chicks he can lay.

In my opinion, sex is overrated (I like it as much as the next guy; but it's not the end all be all that society makes it out to be).
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    When they say "forced" marriage, do they mean - or does that include - arranged marriages?
    Yep....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Probably the major issue with these countries is that they were decolonized too quickly. Belgium packed up quickly and left, and Congo went to shit ten days later. The countries that colonized them did nothing to prepare them for independence; though some countries did do more than others.

Notice, for example; the countries that were colonized by the French are in far worse shape than countries that were colonized by the British.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it if the culture allows for it. I mean, there are benefits to that. For example... I don't think dudes engage in self-destructive behavior in pursuit of poon, because a man's "status" among his peers wouldn't be based on how many chicks he can lay.

In my opinion, sex is overrated (I like it as much as the next guy; but it's not the end all be all that society makes it out to be).
    Rusty, you understand, don't you that in the former colonies of the European nations the native population demanded independence and the schedule was hardly up to the colonial power?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Thread Information