Thread: CIA Assisting Syrian Rebels To Get Weapons of Mass Destruction

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default CIA Assisting Syrian Rebels To Get Weapons of Mass Destruction

Now before anyone goes off the deep-end, check out the details, because in a weird twisted way it is true.

Part I: CIA Delivering Arms to Syria Rebels (CBSNews)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-syria-rebels/

The CIA has been delivering light machine guns and other small arms to Syrian rebels for several weeks, following President Barack Obama's decision to arm the rebels.
    The agency has also arranged for the Syrian opposition to receive anti-tank weaponry like rocket-propelled grenades through a third party, presumably one of the Gulf countries that has been arming the rebels, a senior U.S. intelligence official and two former intelligence officials said Thursday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the classified program publicly.
    Part II: Army Veteran Charged with Conspiring to Use a Weapon of Mass Destruction (HuffPost)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2973674.html

Eric Harroun, a 30-year-old former U.S. soldier, has been charged by federal authorities in Virginia with conspiring to use a rocket propelled grenade while fighting with the al-Nusrah Front in Syria. Harroun has posted YouTube videos and Facebook posts that showed him working alongside the group, which is commonly referred to as "al Qaeda in Iraq."
    As a result, Harroun was charged with conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction (a copy of the charge is in the HuffPost article).

So... if a RPG is classified as a WMD for the purposes of criminal activity, why would our government act to send more of the WMDs to the same rebels?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: CIA Assisting Syrian Rebels To Get Weapons of Mass Destruction

Ha ha ha....that is kinda funny. I wonder if they even care about their hipocracy? Kinda doubt it.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Now before anyone goes off the deep-end, check out the details, because in a weird twisted way it is true.

Part I: CIA Delivering Arms to Syria Rebels (CBSNews)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-syria-rebels/

Part II: Army Veteran Charged with Conspiring to Use a Weapon of Mass Destruction (HuffPost)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2973674.html

As a result, Harroun was charged with conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction (a copy of the charge is in the HuffPost article).

So... if a RPG is classified as a WMD for the purposes of criminal activity, why would our government act to send more of the WMDs to the same rebels?
    His job was to deliver RPGs to the Opposition, NOT fight along side of them. He could even train them how to use the RPGs, but NOT fight along side them. Finally, he unfortunately had the bad luck to have his picture taken with the group while holding a RPG, and he was unlucky that the photo ended up in US Government hands.

All he had to do was deliver the RPGs, maybe give them some training in the use of the RPGs, and then turn and LEAVE!!!

He probably meant well, but he is in the soup nonetheless.
    SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    His job was to deliver RPGs to the Opposition, NOT fight along side of them. He could even train them how to use the RPGs, but NOT fight along side them. Finally, he unfortunately had the bad luck to have his picture taken with the group while holding a RPG, and he was unlucky that the photo ended up in US Government hands.

All he had to do was deliver the RPGs, maybe give them some training in the use of the RPGs, and then turn and LEAVE!!!

He probably meant well, but he is in the soup nonetheless.
    Way to completely miss the point....the U.S. is providing RPGs to the rebels AND charging someone with use of WMDs for using one.... That means we are providing what we consider WMDs to the rebel....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Hell, if we have crossed that line, I say we arm them with a nuke. That conflict would be over before our delivery guy could probably get back on the plane.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Way to completely miss the point....the U.S. is providing RPGs to the rebels AND charging someone with use of WMDs for using one.... That means we are providing what we consider WMDs to the rebel....

No, I got your point, but the fact is that we have done that many times in the past, either gratis, or on a cash and carry basis. In most cases, the ethics involved go under the heading of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Cornelius

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The CIA program is classified as covert, NOT ANY MORE!

Is an RPG a WMD? Explosive, yes. WMD?? WTF??
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Harroun's charge was reduced and he was given credit for time-served. From Fox News:

Ex-U.S. soldier Eric Harroun, who allegedly fought alongside an Al Qaeda affiliate against the forces of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge Thursday and was sentenced to time served, The Military Times reported.
    Harroun, a Phoenix native, was charged in June with conspiracy to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization and conspiracy to use destructive devices overseas, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement.
    Those charges, one of which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment if convicted, were reduced to a charge of conspiring to violate arms-control laws, the report said. U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton accepted the plea on the lesser charge.
    The case posed a political dilemma for the Justice Department. Harroun was fighting for the Syrian rebels, who are supported by the Obama State Department.
    According to court documents, Harroun allegedly participated in multiple attacks with Jabhat al-Nusra -- an affiliate of Al Qaeda in Iraq -- and was alleged to have “carried and used various firearms, including a sniper rifle, an AK-47 style machine gun, and a rocket propelled grenade (RPG) weapon” during his time fighting with al-Nusra.
    Foxnews.com in March broke the story of Harroun’s alleged participation with the Al Qaeda affiliate. “I was separated in a battle and most of my [Free Syrian Army] group was K.I.A. and al-Nusra picked me up,” Harroun told FoxNews.com during one of several brief interviews conducted via Skype.
    Harroun, who at the time spoke to Foxnews.com from Turkey before flying to the U.S., where he was taken into custody, dismissed a question about fighting alongside al Qaeda terrorists who have saturated the ranks of Syrian rebels in the fight against Assad. He charged that "the U.S. plays both sides, too," and that the Al Qaeda splinter group welcomed him with open arms.
    “Getting into al-Nusra is not rocket science," he said. "It just takes balls and brains.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/20...#ixzz2fU6HFUPU

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If an RPG is now a WMD, then so is a Claymore Mine!!!

H.L. Mencken

Thread Information