Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Photographer forced to photograph Gay Marriage

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Photographer forced to photograph Gay Marriage

Fairly self-explanatory, thoughts?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...iage-case.html

>>If our infinitely more assertive mods could move this thread to whatever you have for a DADT/LGBT section of late I would appreciate it, I apologize for the laziness, but your new setup confuses me!!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Photographer forced to photograph Gay Marriage

"The court said a business could declare in its advertising that it opposes same-sex marriage but it has to comply with the anti-discrimination law"

I wonder if a same-sex couple would inquire about the photographer's services anyways?

Would it be too transparent if the business quoted a ridiculously high price for their services?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

""The idea that free people can be 'compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives' as the 'price of citizenship' is a chilling and unprecedented attack on freedom."

The government now dictates how PRIVATE busineses must conduct business? Hello, Lenin!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Da Tavorich. IMO this should fall under the old school heading of "The owner reserves the right to refuse service" way we used to opperate by.
    And the "Anti discrimination laws iirc only apply to getting work, housing etc.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Finally got time to look at the article. The court took an interesting stance, that "soliciting customers with an offered service" requires compliance with the New Mexico Human Rights [something] law. That suggests that an advertised service is presumed to be offered in compliance with the law, and refusal of service based on personal beliefs, is discrimination under the law. I'm going to have to think about that one for a while.

Does anyone have a link to the judges written ruling?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So if they didn't solicit customers by advertizing, they would have been ok?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

sounds weird doesn't it...there must be more to it than just advertising.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

By the way, here is a link to the decision. http://www.nmcompcomm.us/nmcases/nmc...s/CA30,203.pdf

It's a little more convoluted than I thought, but I got the basic idea. The photo business that is a commercial business that offers it services broadly to the public on websites and the yellow pages. The business makes no effort to limit advertisement, it's website access, or to state the limits of it's services.

Also, this case goes back to 2006 and is on it's 3rd appeal. If the ACLU and Alliance Defense Fund weren't paying all the cost, this would have been over in 2008 on the first appeal. The lady should have just paid the court judgement against her ($7000) and chalked it up.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    What do you mean now? This has been going on for a long time....the government dictates that if you operate a hotel you may not turn away people on the basis of their race, for example. Nor can you operate a "whites only" restaurant...or refuse to sell home to Jews, etc.

Not all states protect sexual orientation, and the federal govt. does not.

This is the same deal...the "people" of New Mexico have enacted into law that businesses operating in their state may not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
    Cool. The next time I go back to New Mexico (my folks lived there) I will ignore any sign that says "No shirts, No shoes, No service." It will be MY RIGHT to go in barefooted and bareshirted, and maybe I'll just take a crap on the floor while I'm at it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    Cool. The next time I go back to New Mexico (my folks lived there) I will ignore any sign that says "No shirts, No shoes, No service." It will be MY RIGHT to go in barefooted and bareshirted, and maybe I'll just take a crap on the floor while I'm at it.
    I doubt shirtlessness or defecation is a protected category.

Thread Information