Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Abolish the Selective Service

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Abolish the Selective Service

Is it time (or past time) to abolish the Selective Service (draft registration).
    1. We've been an all voluteer force since 1973 (hey, that's 40 years!)
    2. Annual budget (FY13): $24M
    3. Only requires males to register (failure to register prevents males from federal student aid programs (loans & grants)
    4. Since females will soon be eligible to be in most (all) combat positions, should they not also have to register?
    5. With the repeal of DADT, is homosexuality still a way to not be drafted?

I honestly see no reason why SS needs to continue on like it is, especially at that cost!

Thoughts????
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Abolish the Selective Service

All males 18 -25 must register (or will not be eligible for financial aid, and I think a few more things). I just wonder if homosexuality would be like college deferrment or conscientious objector status, something that would result in a high draft number (like during the Vietnam days).
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

regarding females and the draft (From the SS web page)

"Women Aren't Required to Register
    Here's why:
    THE LAW
    Selective Service law as it's written now refers specifically to "male persons" in stating who must register and who would be drafted. For women to be required to register with Selective Service, Congress would have to amend the law.

THE SUPREME COURT
    The constitutionality of excluding women was tested in the courts. A Supreme Court decision in 1981, Rostker v. Goldberg, held that registering only men did not violate the due process clause of the Constitution.

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
    At President Clinton's request, the Department of Defense reviewed this issue in 1994. DoD noted that America's prior drafts were used to supply adequate numbers of Army ground combat troops. Because women are excluded by policy from front line combat positions, excluding them from the draft process remains justifiable in DoD's view. Although no conclusions were reached, DoD recognized that policies regarding women need to be reviewed periodically because the role of women in the military continues to expand.

The Selective Service System, if given the mission and additional funding, is capable of registering and drafting women with its existing infrastructure."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

regarding classifications (categories) again from the ss web site:

"Classifications
    Men are not classified now. Classification is the process of determining who is available for military service and who is deferred or exempted. Classifications are based on each individual registrant's circumstances and beliefs. A classification program would go into effect when Congress and the President decide to resume a draft. Then, men who are qualified for induction would have the opportunity to file a claim for exemptions, deferments, and postponements from military service. Here is a list of some, though not all, classifications and what they mean:

1-A - available immediately for military service.
    1-O Conscientious Objector- conscientiously opposed to both types (combatant and non-combatant) of military training and service - fulfills his service obligation as a civilian alternative service worker.
    1-A-O Conscientious Objector - conscientiously opposed to training and military service requiring the use of arms - fulfills his service obligation in a noncombatant position within the military.
    2-D Ministerial Students - deferred from military service.
    3-A Hardship Deferment - deferred from military service because service would cause hardship upon his family.
    4-C Alien or Dual National - sometimes exempt from military service.
    4-D Ministers of Religion - exempted from military service.
    Student Postponements - a college student may have his induction postponed until he finishes the current semester or, if a senior, the end of the academic year. A high school student may have his induction postponed until he graduates or until he reaches age 20. Appealing a Classification - A man may appeal his classification to a Selective Service Appeal Board."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So to answer a couple of my points, the SS could include females if funding is increased and homosexuality is not a classification that would defer someone from being drafted into military service.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think they should abolish it, I don't forsee needing it in the future unless there are severe cuts and reductions to pay in the future which would lead to undermanned units.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thinking about Sel. Ser. from a national defense/strategic mindset, I don't think it should be abolished. Because we haven't had a draft doesn't mean we won't need one at some point in the future. What would cause the nation to use a draft? I don't know. My point is, looking at it from a "worst case scenario" mindset, we MIGHT need it.

At the individual level, the above raises the question of whether the cost is balanced by the actual risk or need? I mean, what is the risk of there being a world war, or CONUS being invaded or something at that level that might cause a draft to happen? Again, I don't know, but knowing some about history, politics and the causes of previous wars...I can't picture those types of things happening. The global conditions/politics/economics/events that starts WW1 and WW2 no longer exist. Even the Pentagon doesn't seem recently concerned with this sort of massive land war that would require tens of millions of troops. I'm sure there is a scenario or plan in a file cabinet somewhere, or a war gaming think tank thinking about it. But is it a real and immediate concern? My gut says no.

If the cost is $24 million per year...that's pretty cheap "insurance" against the catastrophic.

---
    The question of whether the program needs to be changed is somewhat of a different question than whether we need it at all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Thinking about Sel. Ser. from a national defense/strategic mindset, I don't think it should be abolished. Because we haven't had a draft doesn't mean we won't need one at some point in the future. What would cause the nation to use a draft? I don't know. My point is, looking at it from a "worst case scenario" mindset, we MIGHT need it.

At the individual level, the above raises the question of whether the cost is balanced by the actual risk or need? I mean, what is the risk of there being a world war, or CONUS being invaded or something at that level that might cause a draft to happen? Again, I don't know, but knowing some about history, politics and the causes of previous wars...I can't picture those types of things happening. The global conditions/politics/economics/events that starts WW1 and WW2 no longer exist. Even the Pentagon doesn't seem recently concerned with this sort of massive land war that would require tens of millions of troops. I'm sure there is a scenario or plan in a file cabinet somewhere, or a war gaming think tank thinking about it. But is it a real and immediate concern? My gut says no.

If the cost is $24 million per year...that's pretty cheap "insurance" against the catastrophic.

---
    The question of whether the program needs to be changed is somewhat of a different question than whether we need it at all.
    In our nation's early history, we got by fine without a Selective Service. They merely went into towns and mustered up conscripts in those days. Particularly during the Civil War. I have no doubt "Big Brother" could go out and round up conscripts if the need arose; he knows where you live. I would hope true Americans would step up too like they did during WWII if we were facing a grave national threat. 24 million dollars is 24 million dollars. I think this idea would have been a perfect suggestion for those White House idea campaigns they've had lately. Even if they had a draft, 80% of them would probably be ineligible for various reasons or run to Mexico; or be perfectly happy speaking Chinese.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Because forced conscription is better? No thanks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Because forced conscription is better? No thanks.
    Isn't a draft basically forced conscription? Go to Vietnam or go to jail?

Thread Information