Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moderated Debates?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Moderated Debates?

Last week I jokingly posted a comment about having a moderated monthly debate but the idea stuck in my head and I am wondering if there is enough interest to see if it’s feasible.

A rough idea would be to have polls for debate topics then solicit volunteer participants for each side of the question.

Would it be possible to have a thread that was password protected to allow only that month’s participants have access?

We could have an open sub-thread for the other forum members to comment into.

We could figure out a set number of posts for each side to present their cases and then have a poll to determine the winner.

I’m sure there are plenty of debate rules and procedures out there on the internet that could be used as a model for our particular style of debate.

I realize that this would take some effort on the part of the moderators and it might prove too much to pull off on a monthly basis, perhaps quarterly?

I don’t know if this would flop or not but it might be fun to try.

I thought I would toss this idea out as serious question for the mods and others to consider.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Moderated Debates?

AbsintheAnecdote,

I will pass this on to others. I like the your ideas, and I do think that is worth looking at. Be patient!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't forget rule #1 for internet debates: The debate ends when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I don't get it.

If I'm interested in a debate, I want to join in not just read two random posters missing the point. :-)

The only way I think this would be interesting is if the debaters were guest experts in the topic from opposing viewpoints...you know, policymakers from the PT office, or uniform board, etc...but, anyone in an official position would have to be supporting the official message, so not much debate would be happening.

but, to have two of our regular members debating on a topic with everyone else locked out to only commenting on a side thread...I don't get it.
    It would be a structured and limited exchange with the goal of winning support for your argument.

You'd have to bring your "A game" and support your position with facts to win.

Different than our normal free for all, locking other posters out of the debate prevents it from going off on a tangent.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I don't get it.

If I'm interested in a debate, I want to join in not just read two random posters missing the point. :-)

The only way I think this would be interesting is if the debaters were guest experts in the topic from opposing viewpoints...you know, policymakers from the PT office, or uniform board, etc...but, anyone in an official position would have to be supporting the official message, so not much debate would be happening.

but, to have two of our regular members debating on a topic with everyone else locked out to only commenting on a side thread...I don't get it.
    I don't agree with that.......let's debate

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    Don't forget rule #1 for internet debates: The debate ends when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument.
    Well, true. The alternative is when some homoerotic taunt is thrown.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I don't agree with that.......let's debate
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Well, true. The alternative is when some homoerotic taunt is thrown.

I will play!! What are you wearing?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    I will play!! What are you wearing?
    It has to be offensive not humorous, homoerotic humorous dialogue is better at taking conversations off topic in my experience. I had this down to a science for quite a while.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What are you..? Some kind of Nazi or somethin'?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    It has to be offensive not humorous, homoerotic humorous dialogue is better at taking conversations off topic in my experience. I had this down to a science for quite a while.
    Dang I had my nipple tassels and banana hammock on waiting for your response.

I got nothing I'm out...

Thread Information