Thread: Shirt Candy at Six Flags

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Shirt Candy at Six Flags

Just saw this and laughed. Thoughts?

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/battl...ards-uniforms/

“I saw a 23- or 24-year-old wearing a Combat Action Ribbon with two gold stars,” Smith told Marine Corps Times. “Another guy had four rows of three ribbons. I know gunnery sergeants or staff sergeants when I was in that didn’t even have that many.”
    He obviously hasn't seen an Air Force member lately.

Smith said he asked the security guard wearing the Combat Action Ribbon what the stars stood for, and he said they represented reuniting lost children with their parents. All day at the park, Smith said he was offended every time he saw another security guard’s ribbon rack.
    Oh the lulz!
    Last edited by CJSmith; 08-21-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Shirt Candy at Six Flags

That did make me laugh!

I'm imagining John Candy saying, "The Park is closed, Moose out front should have told you so."

I can see the Marine being pissed though. I'm just glad they didn't sully any prestigious USAF ribbons like the BMT Honor Grad or the PME ribbon.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I wouldn’t exactly call it funny, he is proud of his Combat Action Ribbon and I am proud of the ones I have. I would not be as offended as the former Marine in the story.

The Combat Action Ribbon / CAR (the award that got him spun up) is awarded for actual combat with a ground or surface force (what in some cases has been defined as combat is another debate). In the Marine Corps (the stingiest service for awards) the CAR is the only award many Desert Storm, OEF, OIF Marines earned for their time in combat. In the infantry, there are not many ‘end of tour’ awards or ‘deployment’ awards for unless you do something heroic in theater or really ‘above and beyond' in garrison. Being in Afghanistan or Iraq, or even just being in combat would not get an infantryman a medal – combat IS their job.

Whether it is the Air Force BMT ribbon, the Army AIT ribbon, an achievement medal, the Combat Action Ribbon or the Medal of Honor, the ribbon is just a piece of cloth but what went into earning it is different.
    Last edited by Stalwart; 08-21-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Just as a personal note: by the time I retired, I had like 6 or 7 rows of ribbons. Only 8 of them actually meant something, the rest I could have done without wearing. But big blue, in her wisdoms, said I had to wear them all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Just as a personal note: by the time I retired, I had like 6 or 7 rows of ribbons. Only 8 of them actually meant something, the rest I could have done without wearing. But big blue, in her wisdoms, said I had to wear them all.
    Same here. I needed a continuation sheet for my DD214 because of the ribbons. I call those the "get on the truck" ribbons. Just for doing what I already said I would do when I took the oath I was awarded a ribbon. As these conflicts wind down, we have a generation of troops with enough ribbons and badges to make them the envy of all the third-world dictators. Walk around a place like Fort Bragg... every soldier there is decorated like Patton.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The park and police department mentioned in the article could repurpose Civil Air Patrol or ROTC ribbons. Still saves them money from having to create and order their own (at such small numbers the costs would be prohibitive), and I don't think anyone in CAP or JROTC would be offended.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

@Stalwart

You certainly make a valid point but if you look at it from the perspective of what that Marine's facial expression must have been when Officer Friendly explained that each Combat Action Star stood for reuniting a lost child with their parents, well there is an element of hilarity there.

As this story was described it wasn't an intentional insult but one done because of ignorance.

Somehow I found myself feeling sorry for both Officer Friendly and the Marine.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    @Stalwart

You certainly make a valid point but if you look at it from the perspective of what that Marine's facial expression must have been when Officer Friendly explained that each Combat Action Star stood for reuniting a lost child with their parents, well there is an element of hilarity there.
    I can see where dealing with a mother who has lost her child may be like getting shot at.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Employee of the month = Good Conduct Medal.

No accidents in the park for a month = Outstanding Unit Award.

Woman falls out of rollercoaster = Air Medal. Too soon?
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    Employee of the month = Good Conduct Medal.

No accidents in the park for a month = Outstanding Unit Award.

Woman falls out of rollercoaster = Air Medal. Too soon?
    Ouch! That did make me winch and I'm probably one of the more irreverent posters in here.

Did you read much about that story? That poor woman tried to tell the kids operating the ride that she wasn't hooked in properly and they didn't believe her.

Anyway, I forgive you.

Thread Information