Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: waist stays and....

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default waist stays and....

Thats about it, no pullups nothing really "new" that I can see, from the "PT review" by the CSAF:

But, in the future, if an Airman fails the AC portion of the test, and passes each of the other three components, we’ll measure that Airman using the Body Mass Index (BMI) taping guidance in DoD instructions. If the Airman meets the DoD BMI standard, they pass the PFT.

We’re making three other modifications designed to improve the program. First, we’re realigning the fitness appeal process back to Wing Commanders. Second, passing standards are being adjusted for Airmen who can only test on one component of the Fitness Assessment, and third, we’re changing and simplifying the walk test.

All these changes will be effective 1 October 2013, and the A1 will send detailed implementation guidance to the field shortly.

The second comment Chief Cody and I hear most frequently is that we need to rethink how we document fitness performance in performance reports. We are doing that as part of a larger effort to examine the performance report itself, along with the promotion system it supports. We’ll give you the results of that study in the near future.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: waist stays and....

Fellow Airmen:

Chief Cody and I get a lot of questions about the physical fitness test (PFT). To ensure we fully understood the issues folks were concerned about, we conducted a comprehensive review of the Fitness Program. The one thing that was crystal clear to both of us when we finished is that we have a tremendous program that has fundamentally changed the AF’s overall fitness level over the past few years. So I’ll tell you right up front that the PFT itself is not going to change. But even the best program can be improved upon, so we are making changes in four different areas to enhance the overall program.

The first change involves the abdominal circumference (AC) portion of the test. We use the AC measurement to assess an Airman’s body composition, which is a key component of fitness. Because the AC measurement is integrated into our fitness test, DoD approved a permanent waiver to the DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat Program, making us the only service not required to have a separate weight management program requiring annual body mass index measurements and assessments for every Airman.

One of the two concerns Chief Cody and I hear most is that there are Airmen who pass every component of the PFT except the AC, but fail the AC because they have a very large, thick body type or are very muscular. To put this in perspective, since we implemented the PFT, only 348 of ~1.3 million Airmen tested resulted in an Airman failing the AC portion and passing all the others with a passing composite score of 75 or higher. That’s 0.03%...so this is an unusual occurrence. But, in the future, if an Airman fails the AC portion of the test, and passes each of the other three components, we’ll measure that Airman using the Body Mass Index (BMI) taping guidance in DoD instructions. If the Airman meets the DoD BMI standard, they pass the PFT.

Chief Cody and I also hear about the “many” Airmen who have been kicked out of the Air Force for AC-only failures. The fact is that since we started the new Fitness Program, only 76 airmen have been separated from the Air Force for failing only the AC portion of the test multiple times. That equates to 0.006% of the Airmen tested. It’s certainly difficult for the airmen involved, but it really doesn’t happen that often.

We’re making three other modifications designed to improve the program. First, we’re realigning the fitness appeal process back to Wing Commanders. Second, passing standards are being adjusted for Airmen who can only test on one component of the Fitness Assessment, and third, we’re changing and simplifying the walk test.

All these changes will be effective 1 October 2013, and the A1 will send detailed implementation guidance to the field shortly.

The second comment Chief Cody and I hear most frequently is that we need to rethink how we document fitness performance in performance reports. We are doing that as part of a larger effort to examine the performance report itself, along with the promotion system it supports. We’ll give you the results of that study in the near future.

I believe we have DoD’s best designed, best run Fitness Program, and as a result, we have a force ready for any mission our nation asks us to execute. I’m extremely proud of how far we’ve come with our fitness culture! Thanks for your personal commitment to staying in shape!

As always, thanks for all you do! See you in the gym!
    The entire email....

This actually gives people that fail the waist a reason to give a shit on the rest of the test.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Ahh, I can't wait for the "I failed the waist measurement and BMI test....this PT program is bullshit" thread.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You guys got it too? I thought I was on his personal distro list.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

No changes, but I was interested to learn that the WC is the reason the Air Force has a waiver to not have a weight management program. Not sure which is better/worse.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

They just made it easier to pass.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    They just made it easier to pass.
    I don't really see it that way, as far as BMI. I'm one of those guys that is usually close to going over the 39 inch measurement. I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I'm sure the vast majority of personnel who bust the AC are still going to fail the BMI. I know I certainly would. Hell, I was at 37 this last test but according to the BMI charts I'm still considered obese. For the other parts, I agree with you but don't feel that is a bad thing. Simplifying the walk test, I'm ok with that because it's the one test you really don't have much control over while performing. On the run you can keep pushing until you're about to throw up to get under a time that you know you need to get. For the walk test, you need to acheive an unknown time, while being at an unknown heart rate, while also including a known age and a known weight and subtracting one from the calculation because you're a male. You tell me I have to walk a mile in under 12:30 and now Ii know what I need to do. The "fear of the unknown" is no longer in place. As for adjusting passing standards for people only testing in one component, if the max allowable AC is 39 when testing all four components, it just makes sense that should be passing for one component.
    Last edited by UncommonSense; 08-21-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Words and stuff

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

CMSAF I hate to tell you that we don't have a physical fitness program! We have a physical fitness testing program, that is all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TREYSLEDGE View Post
    No changes, but I was interested to learn that the WC is the reason the Air Force has a waiver to not have a weight management program. Not sure which is better/worse.
    According to the experts, neither of them is very good. They ranked the DoD program as a "D" because of the large variance in taping - the same thing the AF has been complaining about.

http://airforcetimes.com/article/201...e-margin-error
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This email went to my junk folder. Wonder if Outlook is trying to tell me something...

Thread Information