Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moderation Nation.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Moderation Nation.

Hi all,

I've had to take a few days away from (the frontend of) the forum, but came back to lots of dissenting views.

I took a look through what's been going and I have to say, some things could've been handled better, some were handled better than I would've, and still others are behind the scenes that you guys are unaware of.

Biggest thing I want to say is:
    Most of this is my fault. Our moderators have a lot to do, I've been in and out. While I have been sending PMs at random times in response to the moderator questions, often times my responses came LONG after they've been forced to take corrective actions on uncertain cases.

The mods have had to make snap decisions, going on either no input from me, or very partial information which was relayed hastily. Unfortunately, not all of those decisions have been met with the highest satisfaction publicly, and sometimes were not the exact decision I would necessarily make given the goals and hopes I have in mind for the forum.

This is not the moderators' faults, it's mine, for not prepping them properly for what we truly wish for the forum.
    Mods make their own choices, yes, but they are working not just to please you, but to also meet my expectations. It is a tough spot, and I have not done my part.

I apologize to you all for that. I stand behind the moderators, but I can admit I have not guided them well in all situations.

So I want to get a couple things on the table.
    I don't really want this entire place to digress into a talk about how to moderate with these massive posts and threads about the Mod Squad. I really DO want you all engaging and having fun. So, perhaps this can be our thread about moderation. I am hoping to keep things contained here.

---------------
    1. Censorship.
    ---------------
    My thoughts:
    Trust me, it is a PITA to censor this place! I swear, every soldier, airman/woman, marine, has "sailor's mouth." I mean, @Rusty Jones has about 127 different ways to type the letter "U."
    Secondly, the truth of the matter is, we really don't mind this language, on a personal level. We use those words ourselves. However, some uses are reported for their comments, some are laughed about, some are ignored.

How we'll deal with this:
    We MUST respond when there are reports, and if the complaint is genuine and contains swearing, it will get moderated.
    We all know the difference between general cussing about the "f*ckin politicians in Washington" and "You f*ckin sh*twad idiot, [Insert Member Name]."
    I will disable the auto-censor on curse words. But I'd like a gentleman's agreement to be judicious when using curse words directed at other members.
    If you direct foul language at a person in an offensive way, expect that comment to be subject to moderation. You've been warned, so there really is no need to cry foul.

---------------
    2. Editing Posts
    ---------------
    My thoughts:
    Per some comments made previously, I thought the moderators should give the post editing a try. I see now, that is worse than just straight deleting the comment.

OK. No more editing of posts. However, if you do have a violating statement in your post. Your post will be "Soft Deleted" indicating that the post was deleted by a mod, and a reason will be given. If your post is spam (this is for the bots), or otherwise completely egregious, it will be flat out deleted. No more of this 1984 editing the truth stuff, but be aware that this means your posts are subject to deletion. We will loosen our criteria for what gets moderated, but we cannot allow an "anything goes" environment here.

--------------------------------------
    3. Problems with the way we moderate and other things.
    --------------------------------------
    My thoughts:
    We welcome your input. We try to incorporate it where we can. Some of you have mentioned ideas for threads and their parent locations, topic names, etc, and we have listened.
    Even now, amid all the arguments against us, we are still here, listening, responding, and trying to incorporate suggestions.
    Be vocal, but in the end, we want you guys to have fun. Making this place dull is the opposite of what we want.

How we'll handle this:
    You guys are always welcome to voice your opinions. However, these views should not bleed into other areas of the site, as we saw with the religion forum. We DO want to have those conversations, but they should be in this forum, and only this forum.
    We will not engage threads like the Tak thread. If you have a legitimate concern, something you want an answer to, please post it in this forum, or PM one of us.
    What has happened when we engage those comments in the original thread is people have started arguing with US, instead of one another. The net-net result of which, is everybody is still arguing!

Last words:

I will reinstate the "I'm surprised" thread about Tak, as that was genuinely a valuable and worthy thread. Moving forward, a thread like that may get a moderator statement about redirecting actual requests/questions to PM or this forum, and depending on how far it has strayed, could be moved here.

I will also reinstate a Religion forum somewhere, in some form.
    I also plan to update the user title with the help of the mods.

You DO have input here. You DO have freedom to speak here. We will do a better job of letting you have that freedom, while keeping out the 'riff-raff' and ACs as we so affectionately call them.

I hope you all can continue to enjoy the forums. I hope you have not lost all faith and trust in me or the mods.

If you feel a specific thread was deleted yet still had value - it is entirely possible this was not intentional, so please let us know - as you know the system upgrade had the inverse effect of making this place a bucket of hot shit on a cold day.
    Last edited by Bourne; 08-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    - ForumAdmin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Moderation Nation.

My 2 cents and suggestions...

User titles: Scrap what you have and start something new. It's a military forum so go with military ranks starting at E-1, E-2 all the way up to O-9. Set the post count to reach O-9 to the current highest post count (which is Shrike with 11,070 right now). Then take the remaining ranks and divide 11,070 by that number. Then you'll have the post count increment to obtain those ranks.

This idea will most certainly piss some people off so if that idea is a bust go with generic ones like: Newbie, Junior member, Average Member, Senior Member, Master in Training, and Master of the Forum. Google theadminzone for ideas on user titles. They have a ton of them.

If none of that works, get rid of user titles all together and go with bar ranks like this: http://mods.mybb.com/uploads/preview...67-screeny.jpg

Whatever is done, I'd sticky a thread in this section of the forum so everyone knows about them.

Moderation: It needs done and nobody will ever be fully happy with it. Every board handles it differently and this board is finally allowing them. If I'm not mistaken, the discussion that was agreed on (or implied) was the moderators would be trusted regular members but would have an alt account so other members wouldn't know who they were. If this is the case, then they shouldn't be taking on a second identity with clever handle names, avatars, and signature quotes. They should strictly be using that account to close, move, sticky threads. Take the character out of them and you might find less trouble down the line.

Moderators are needed to help keep your sanity. Just make sure they don't crush the conversation, instead just moderate it.

Finally, please fix the like, dislike thanks buttons to allow us to undo an accident. It can be done in the admin settings of the mod. I believe it's DBT's mod that you are using.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

- ForumAdmin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

User title breakdowns are a slippery slope.

We want users who engage a lot to have a sense that they earn something for this engagement. We also don't want a situation where titles and ranks become yet one more thing to fight over.
    The biggest vote was simply to remove all ranks.

I personally do not like this, so I've done a hybrid. A hybrid method reduces the number of ranks a user can climb, while increasing the difficulty of attaining the higher ranks. The higher ranks are still attainable by the elite few who contribute to genuine conversation - currently there are 8 active "Brass" members.

Recruit 0
    Junior Member 50
    Member 500
    Senior Member 1000
    Brass 5000

It's a tall order for a troll to get to Brass, but when a user does attain Brass, s/he has contributed to MTF in a way that is beyond measure.

This is one more secret level, which you'll have to find for yourselves.
    - ForumAdmin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    ---------------
    2. Editing Posts
    ---------------
    My thoughts:
    Per some comments made previously, I thought the moderators should give the post editing a try. I see now, that is worse than just straight deleting the comment.

OK. No more editing of posts. However, if you do have a violating statement in your post. Your post will be "Soft Deleted" indicating that the post was deleted by a mod, and a reason will be given. If your post is spam (this is for the bots), or otherwise completely egregious, it will be flat out deleted. No more of this 1984 editing the truth stuff, but be aware that this means your posts are subject to deletion. We will loosen our criteria for what gets moderated, but we cannot allow an "anything goes" environment here.
    Well...that sure didn't last long... The title of a year old thread was editied to change "Wook" to "Female."

http://forums.militarytimes.com/show...ut-of-the-USMC

IMO, you changed the thread title from what amounts to dirtbag females will be kicked out to now read that all females are dirtbags that will be kicked out.. WAY to go!!! Calling all female Marines "Wooks" is much more offensive that just the hairy fat ones....
    Last edited by Pullinteeth; 08-23-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Well...that sure didn't last long...
    I had edited the title of the thread on 09 Aug, 11 days before the update on moderation.

Thank you for pointing out that it needed to be deleted.
    In Norse mythology, Mjölnir is the hammer of Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Mjölnir is depicted in Norse mythology as one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of leveling mountains. In old Norse, Mjölnir is usually interpreted as meaning "crusher." Its power has no equal as a weapon to destroy or as a tool to build.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    User title breakdowns are a slippery slope.

We want users who engage a lot to have a sense that they earn something for this engagement. We also don't want a situation where titles and ranks become yet one more thing to fight over.
    The biggest vote was simply to remove all ranks.

I personally do not like this, so I've done a hybrid. A hybrid method reduces the number of ranks a user can climb, while increasing the difficulty of attaining the higher ranks. The higher ranks are still attainable by the elite few who contribute to genuine conversation - currently there are 8 active "Brass" members.

Recruit 0
    Junior Member 50
    Member 500
    Senior Member 1000
    Brass 5000

It's a tall order for a troll to get to Brass, but when a user does attain Brass, s/he has contributed to MTF in a way that is beyond measure.

This is one more secret level, which you'll have to find for yourselves.
    I bet Tak could find your super secret awesome rank within a week...just sayin
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I had edited the title of the thread on 09 Aug, 11 days before the update on moderation.

Thank you for pointing out that it needed to be deleted.
    UncaRastus.......this is what I was referring to btw

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So riddle me this Batman, ya'll DECIMATED the Forums by deleting whole sections and are now starting some of them over. WTH? We had about 30 pages of recipes-DELETED...now a new thread for what? recipies. There was an entertainment section-books/movies/sports-DELETED...now a thread for what? Movies.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    So riddle me this Batman, ya'll DECIMATED the Forums by deleting whole sections and are now starting some of them over. WTH? We had about 30 pages of recipes-DELETED...now a new thread for what? recipies. There was an entertainment section-books/movies/sports-DELETED...now a thread for what? Movies.
    Wait for it... Games/gamers thread(s) will probably make a comeback too.
    Rear Admiral Yancy Graham: You watch yourself, Dodge. You are addressing a superior officer!
    Lt. Comd. Dodge: No, merely a higher ranking one.

Thread Information