Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: B-1 crash in Montana

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default B-1 crash in Montana

Wasn't sure whether to post here or "in the news"...but since it's an AF aircraft:

B-1B crashed during a routine training mission in Montana, all four crew ejected, lived.

Link to local story. http://www.ktvq.com/news/ellsworth-a...omber-crash/#_

This just happened yesterday morning, doesn't seem to be a lot of details in the press yet.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: B-1 crash in Montana

AP has a story up, with a few more details about the crash site, location, and some aerial pics of the crash site:

http://news.yahoo.com/b-1b-bomber-cr...210005183.html

The crew were taken by ambulance to hospital, no life threatening injuries.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Another 4 satisfied Aces II customers

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

How much you want to bet it was a mx issue? If they had time to eject I'm guessing it wasn't pilot error. Speculation on my part, admittedly.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Serious question from a nonner here: Why does it seem like there is a disproportionate number of military aircraft mishaps compared to civilian aircraft (talking about commercial airliners here)? I realize the requirements for the aircraft are vastly different. Are commercial airliners that much better at maintaining their aircraft? It seems like we hear about at least 3-4 crashes every year whereas it is very rare to hear about a civilian airliner crashing. When you factor in the number of civilian flights versus military flights it seems like we crash a lot more than they do. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Serious question from a nonner here: Why does it seem like there is a disproportionate number of military aircraft mishaps compared to civilian aircraft (talking about commercial airliners here)? I realize the requirements for the aircraft are vastly different. Are commercial airliners that much better at maintaining their aircraft? It seems like we hear about at least 3-4 crashes every year whereas it is very rare to hear about a civilian airliner crashing. When you factor in the number of civilian flights versus military flights it seems like we crash a lot more than they do. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I am much more inclined to blame this on CE because those guys have a reputation of going out to the ramp late at night to drink beer on the aircraft after they have been tossed out of the bars.

I bet the investigation finds a Miller Lite can jammed into the avionics.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Maybe partly our perception, Guy. I think we pay more attention to the military crashes. Civilian airliner crashes happen several times a year. I guess we'd have to look at stats to really answer your question. Something like accidents/miles (or hours)? I don't know where to find them, though.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

There is a big difference between a 737 taking off, leveling off at cruise and then descending to land than a B-1 (insert military a/c) going through its flight profile.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    There is a big difference between a 737 taking off, leveling off at cruise and then descending to land than a B-1 (insert military a/c) going through its flight profile.
    I was going to mention this also, the "yank and bank" cycles on military ac have to stress the airframe a lot more than civ acft.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    So the answer to my question is that we place much more stress on our aircraft? I assumed that was the case but kind of wanted to confirm.

Thread Information