Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Moderation on moderation

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Moderation on moderation

It appears that far too many threads are being closed/ locked.

I understand shutting down the threads that that have caused heated debates. However, a heated debate has not happen in months. I wonder if the recent moderation has caused a chilling effect that is de facto censorship?

Another thing that is explicit censorship is shutting down threads that make the mods uncomfortable, I.E. Otis's thread about Tak. Granted you may not like the topic, but the discussions on that thread and on others were civil.

Yes Garrett is a private company, but that private business is based on journalism and the military. Two notions that invoke freedom of speech: one that protects it and one that relies on it.

So I challenge the mods to avoid the censorship ..... De facto and explicit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    Not to stick my oar in to deep because I bet I am missing a nice twist by Greg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    You can keep forcing people to walk between the lines, but the organic nature of this community will result in water finding its level, irrespective of artificial constrictions. I don't know why you guys keep trying to force things. It's not really working, from what I can tell and just annoys loyal posters. But, as has been shown, you can take your ball and go home, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Moderation on moderation

I'm with her, I detest censorship.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am wondering why heated debates are even considered for censorship. I have seen a lot of trolls come and go on this forum. Until recently not one left due to any act by any moderator or admin. They finally go tired of being called on their constant and inane bullshit.

I am with Greg on this topic. Censorship above all else is to be disdained. Eliminating personal attack is fine.....until you lose track of what is and is not a personal attack and eliminate valid ideas along the way. The fact that we can't dicsuss the moderation efforts is a perfect case in point.

“Free societies...are societies in motion, and with motion comes tension, dissent, friction. Free people strike sparks, and those sparks are the best evidence of freedom's existence.”

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have only edited a few posts that had personal attacks.

I know a few threads were closed by one moderator or another, I have said to someone recently that we are still in the process of figuring out thread moderation.

EDIT: I have moved quite a few that were not in the right thread based on the subject matter. EDIT

Personally, I like the heated/spirited debate. I would offer that just because you disagree however, you don't have to be disagreeable. I once had a pretty good back and forth with someone on a forum. We totally disagreed, but never attacked each other.

I have been in the military way to long to get offended by almost anything someone may say, someone is much more likely to violate the community guidelines before offending me.
    In Norse mythology, Mjölnir is the hammer of Thor, the Norse god of thunder. Mjölnir is depicted in Norse mythology as one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of leveling mountains. In old Norse, Mjölnir is usually interpreted as meaning "crusher." Its power has no equal as a weapon to destroy or as a tool to build.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

For a couple of years, this place had no moderation at all. It worked fairly well but things out of hand and some supervision was needed.

Now, this place has too much moderation but no one in charge who is known to participants. It is no longer functioning at all. There is no longer any useful debate going on.

In the past, the deal was that if something was of interest to people in the Air Force (i.e., an airman expressing an opinion about Trayvon Martin) it belonged on the Air Force forum. That worked perfectly and didn't need to be changed. But it's a minor point.

I joined in October 2011 with a very specific understanding with senior leadership at Gannett Government Media. The purpose was to enable me to inter-act with those who'd created threads about me. The latest version of that thread was shut down (but not deleted) because I expressed my opinion that forum participants are entitled to know the name of the Gannett Government Media employee who moderates these forums. I decided to leave the forums over this issue and have done so but cannot go away without expressing agreement with the very reasoned and sensible comments made by RS6405, above. The recent changes may have wrought some improvements (together with a significant drop in page view; no matter what the mods say, the numbers are there for everyone to see) but many users and former users believe they're entitled to a better understanding of what the rules are and who is enforcing them. I was invited to participate in these forums because they were in small part about me and because I bring a different point of view and have something to offer. It will be a loss for everyone if I have to stay away. I'm not "soliciting peoples' names" as charged in another post. I'm asking for one name. My purpose in posting my contact information is simply this: I want anyone who wishes to reach me to know how to do so. I've made many friends here and will gladly continue those friendships with those who want to.

Robert F. Dorr
    3411 Valewood Drive
    Oakton VA 22124
    robert.f.dorr@cox.net
    (703) 264-8950

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Now, this place has too much moderation but no one in charge who is known to participants.
    I'm not "soliciting peoples' names" as charged in another post. I'm asking for one name.
    You have their screen name though. I guess I also don't understand why you want (not need) to have their real name? What would that do for you that a screen name does not?

In the past, the deal was that if something was of interest to people in the Air Force (i.e., an airman expressing an opinion about Trayvon Martin) it belonged on the Air Force forum. That worked perfectly and didn't need to be changed. But it's a minor point.
    I see your point, but think it also creates duplicative effort as opposed to if someone had an opinion about Trayvon Martin having to look in the In the News, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps forums (Coast Guard too I guess.)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It will be a loss for everyone if I have to stay away.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

For a couple of years, this place had no moderation at all. It worked fairly well but things out of hand and some supervision was needed.
    "out of hand" is putting it mildly.

It is no longer functioning at all. There is no longer any useful debate going on.
    Your opinion. Of course, you seem to think "useful debate" includes whether or not people use too many spaces after punctuation, so I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt.

I joined in October 2011 with a very specific understanding with senior leadership at Gannett Government Media.
    Great, let's see the written agreement that exempts you from the terms of service, community guidelines, etc.

The purpose was to enable me to inter-act with those who'd created threads about me.
    Your stated purpose was to bury a thread about your opinion columns that you didn't like. Oops, did you forget to delete those posts?

I decided to leave the forums over this issue
    You keep saying that. "i do not think it means what you think it means"...

I was invited to participate in these forums because they were in small part about me and because I bring a different point of view and have something to offer.
    You were invited? As I recall you just showed up. Everyone has a point of view and has something to offer, Bob. But most of those voices were being silenced by the "sith lord" gang, of which you are a member. So again, grains of salt.

My purpose in posting my contact information is...
    ...Self promotion. There, fixed it for you.

Seriously, Bob. Do you not realize that there are people here that watched during the whole thing? Feel free to spin a new reality however you want, but don't expect people to believe it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I could not care less if the moderators shared names, or brought personality to the board while overseeing the members. And if they did? I'm for that also.

There was quite a bit of butt hurt during the rep-wars, and it continued with the religious threads. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Everything is cyclical.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't care if they share names. I would like to know who their alts are...we all know they are using other names when conversing on normal topics while having an alt (not allowed) mod account.

Thread Information