Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Civilians Wearing Military Style Uniforms

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Civilians Wearing Military Style Uniforms

An old friend of mine seems to be upset that certain singers and actors wear military style uniforms in public. I don't know if he's talking about utilities or service uniforms but my guess is utilities. I mean, I can't see people sporting the AF Blues on a trip to the club but you never know. His line of thought is "If you want to wear the uniform, then join." So, I'm wondering. Does it bother anyone out there that people do this? Me...nope, not one bit. They're just clothes and there are no laws on the book that I know of that states people can't buy ABU, BDU or ACU knock-offs. The only issue that may arise is if some people adorn them to look just like military uniforms and then get caught doing something illegal. The initial media reports may identify a Marine, soldier, airman or sailor getting caught in uniform. However, once the dust settles and people realize that person wasn't in the military, it would be cleared up. Anyway, what say you?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Civilians Wearing Military Style Uniforms

eh, not a big deal. There is a pretty long tradition of "stars" wearing military uniform items. Though at least they used to be from thrift stores or whatever. Now you can go into any police uniform store and buy new tactical uniforms and gear off the shelf. hell, you can buy them online and never leave your house. It's so common that it isn't even a "statement" anymore.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Could care less as long as they are not trying to convince people they are veterans when they are not.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
    Could care less as long as they are not trying to convince people they are veterans when they are not.
    Concur... Very few if any f*#ks should be given.
    Don't thank me... Thank my recruiter!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I went into a club in Tokyo last summer and all the hostesses where wearing Air Force uniforms, well just the blues shirts, one was wearing a service dress jacket and nothing else.

It didn’t bother me at all!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It bothers me more when I see actual service members out in their utilities after hours or on the weekends at shopping centers or eating establishments. Especially when they look like a frumpy bag of ass, it just gives off a bad impression (although civilians probably don't think twice when seeing them, but I look at them as turds). Granted there may be a reason, but 9 out 10 times I would be willing to bet not.

Anyone else bothered by this, or us it unique to me?

BTW, I do hold my tongue, as I don't believe it is something to cause undue attention too, but it just irritates the shit out of me.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
    It bothers me more when I see actual service members out in their utilities after hours or on the weekends at shopping centers or eating establishments. Especially when they look like a frumpy bag of ass, it just gives off a bad impression (although civilians probably don't think twice when seeing them, but I look at them as turds). Granted there may be a reason, but 9 out 10 times I would be willing to bet not.

Anyone else bothered by this, or us it unique to me?

BTW, I do hold my tongue, as I don't believe it is something to cause undue attention too, but it just irritates the shit out of me.
    I believe in the Navy and Marines, you can't go into public restaurants in utilities. I don't know about the Army but in the AF, you can visit a restaurant while in ABUs as long as the primary purpose of the place is not selling alcohol. You can also make short stops (like grocery store) but I have seen dudes in the mall wandering around while in ABUs. I have corrected a few in the day if they were doing something really embarrassing like acting like clowns.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't like the fact that certain celebrities wear the uniform. If they wear it fine, but if they wear it and it looks like crap. Then there is a problem right there.

I am a Former Marine myself and I used to hate going to Fayetteville NC to see my Army gf and we would go out to eat and there would be a soldier wearing his ACU. It just seems so unprofessional to me when I see soldiers wearing their ACU's out everywhere. Don't you guys have a dress uniform to wear out in town?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    I don't like the fact that certain celebrities wear the uniform. If they wear it fine, but if they wear it and it looks like crap. Then there is a problem right there.

I am a Former Marine myself and I used to hate going to Fayetteville NC to see my Army gf and we would go out to eat and there would be a soldier wearing his ACU. It just seems so unprofessional to me when I see soldiers wearing their ACU's out everywhere. Don't you guys have a dress uniform to wear out in town?
    I guess that is an instance of a divergence in military culture; it isn’t a taboo for us to go to a fast food restaurant in our utility uniform. We aren’t supposed to go to a sit down restaurant where the civilian equivalent attire would not include “workers clothes”.

I know what you mean about wearing a dress uniform out on the town and I have to hand it to you Marines for looking sharp. Take Gomer Pyle for instance, he always cut an impressive image in his khakis and I always thought he was in the vanguard of the Marines when it came to hair styles. None of that”high & tight” business for PFC Pyle, no sir! He just applied a big old glob of Brylcreem or Dapper Dan pomade to his hair.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Every few years military uniform items become a popular fashion item. As long as they're not wearing a complete uniform or trying to pass themselves off as a military member, it doesn't bother me. A civilian friend of mine working across base had a civilian in his shop that liked to wear BDUs. They worked outdoors a lot and got dirty and the BDUs handled the work fairly well. The BDUs had no rank, name tag, patches, etc. to identify they as being military. His bosses, civilian and military, had no problem with him wearing the BDUs.

Thread Information