Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Things that should go away...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp Buehring, Kuwait
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Received)
    29
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Things that should go away...

    I don't post on here often, but with the sequestration, drawdowns, and fiscal irresponsibility I hereby move that the following should be suspended/terminated
    - The Thunderbirds (The Blue Angels are better anyway)
    - The USAF Drill Team (C'mon, we all know the Marines have us smoked in this category)
    - Tops in Blue (Does anyone actually go to those shows that don't have to?)
    - All Bands (Or at least just have one joint band, each service doesn't need it's own and the USAF certainly doesn't need 12 Active and 11 ANG Bands)
    - All of the extra crap you see in AF Times every week: Airman climb Mt. Everest, EOD hikes from Texas to Florida, etc... (Really, you know they're not doing on leave)
    - Tuition Assistance (I know I'll get beat up for this one) Everyone else in the world pays for college somehow, you should too

    This is just me venting, but there's a lot of NCO's, SNCO's and O's in those programs that could be contibuting to the mission so maybe we don't have to deploy once a year anymore. And all of that funding could be better used somewhere else.

    Any other ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Highlands
    Posts
    797
    Likes (Received)
    519
    Thanks (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Quote Originally Posted by AERYCK13 View Post
    I don't post on here often, but with the sequestration, drawdowns, and fiscal irresponsibility I hereby move that the following should be suspended/terminated
    - The Thunderbirds (The Blue Angels are better anyway)
    - The USAF Drill Team (C'mon, we all know the Marines have us smoked in this category)
    - Tops in Blue (Does anyone actually go to those shows that don't have to?)
    - All Bands (Or at least just have one joint band, each service doesn't need it's own and the USAF certainly doesn't need 12 Active and 11 ANG Bands)
    - All of the extra crap you see in AF Times every week: Airman climb Mt. Everest, EOD hikes from Texas to Florida, etc... (Really, you know they're not doing on leave)
    - Tuition Assistance (I know I'll get beat up for this one) Everyone else in the world pays for college somehow, you should too

    This is just me venting, but there's a lot of NCO's, SNCO's and O's in those programs that could be contibuting to the mission so maybe we don't have to deploy once a year anymore. And all of that funding could be better used somewhere else.

    Any other ideas?
    Why would you list a lot of organizational excesses and then end it with a silly idea to wholly-cut a personnel benefit? By your logic of "everyone else pays so you should too" (I do find your use of "you" instead of "us" in this sentence interesting as it shows a shift based upon personal bias), then we should be paying 100% for health care and retirement...yet you've excluded those.

    There is a laundry list of Air Force expenses that can and should be cut first, starting with the waste and excess that is nakedly-present in the military industrial complex. Axing first the benefits of the rank & file is a poor course of action.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Likes (Received)
    19
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Quote Originally Posted by AERYCK13 View Post
    I don't post on here often, but with the sequestration, drawdowns, and fiscal irresponsibility I hereby move that the following should be suspended/terminated
    - The Thunderbirds (The Blue Angels are better anyway)
    - The USAF Drill Team (C'mon, we all know the Marines have us smoked in this category)
    - Tops in Blue (Does anyone actually go to those shows that don't have to?)
    - All Bands (Or at least just have one joint band, each service doesn't need it's own and the USAF certainly doesn't need 12 Active and 11 ANG Bands)
    - All of the extra crap you see in AF Times every week: Airman climb Mt. Everest, EOD hikes from Texas to Florida, etc... (Really, you know they're not doing on leave)
    - Tuition Assistance (I know I'll get beat up for this one) Everyone else in the world pays for college somehow, you should too

    This is just me venting, but there's a lot of NCO's, SNCO's and O's in those programs that could be contibuting to the mission so maybe we don't have to deploy once a year anymore. And all of that funding could be better used somewhere else.

    Any other ideas?
    Not a bad start but I would leave TA alone. I also would never go after memorial type events such as;

    http://www.aetc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123225931

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lunar Rim
    Posts
    713
    Likes (Received)
    83
    Thanks (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    With such new bold eye opening ideas, I think you're destined for greatness.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp Buehring, Kuwait
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Received)
    29
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    Why would you list a lot of organizational excesses and then end it with a silly idea to wholly-cut a personnel benefit? By your logic of "everyone else pays so you should too" (I do find your use of "you" instead of "us" in this sentence interesting as it shows a shift based upon personal bias), then we should be paying 100% for health care and retirement...yet you've excluded those.

    There is a laundry list of Air Force expenses that can and should be cut first, starting with the waste and excess that is nakedly-present in the military industrial complex. Axing first the benefits of the rank & file is a poor course of action.
    Fair enough... WE should pay for our own college. However, many companies and corporations pay for their employee's health care and/or retirement benefits, just like the military does for US

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp Buehring, Kuwait
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Received)
    29
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    With such new bold eye opening ideas, I think you're destined for greatness.
    Thank you for your sarcasm...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,028
    Likes (Received)
    262
    Thanks (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    I think our creative genius would be better utilized looking for ways to cut needless additional duties and ancillary training from our days, things we can actually push up that we control. The things addressed in the op have been whined about several dozen times in the past year. No one will ever listen to us if we ever grabbed the ear of the SecAF or CSAF. If we can get a solid list of add'l duties and training that we due on a day to day or annual basis that make no sense (or no more sense), or a better way to do it...then we can possibly push that up, or get the editors of AF Times to front page it (like they did a few yrs back with the open letter to Chief Roy) and give it another shot.

    CSAF Welsh said he wanted to give us our time back. So far, I haven't seen it. All I've seen are the careerists trying to find ways to cram more crap to make themselves look better then ever. Anyways, if Gen Welsh is serious...let's get him a list of "boots on the ground" ideas. BL: We don't want his clueless and out of touch aides giving him the ideas. That's just shooting ourselves in our collective rears.

    I'll start.

    Revamp Ancillary Training again. Eliminate the requirement to take Self Aid/Buddy Care and Chem/Bio/Nuclear computer courses prior to taking a classroom course. Eliminate taking any type of deployment course unless you have a hard tasking to deploy. Eliminate the need for mob folders unless you have a hard tasking to deploy (obviously exemptions for enabler units, etc). Same with M16/M4/M9 quals.

    Additional Duties:

    We have Benchstock, Supply Monitors, Reusable Containers, Precious Metals, DIFM, and a dedicated Supply person in our unit. Ummm, why does every shop have all those monitors and a dedicated supply person and an entire LRS unit on base? The supply person doesn't even do anything except make a phone case if something isn't moving, because LRS won't talk to our appointed monitors. They literally do nothing but go to the gym and surf web sites all day. Either make that dedicated person the single point and eliminate all the duties, or send them back to LRS and combine all those duties into a single duty, and make LRS talk to the monitor.

    Brain is dying, will think of more later. Feel free to add.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    retired usa
    Posts
    859
    Likes (Received)
    56
    Thanks (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Quote Originally Posted by AERYCK13 View Post
    I don't post on here often, but with the sequestration, drawdowns, and fiscal irresponsibility I hereby move that the following should be suspended/terminated
    - The Thunderbirds (The Blue Angels are better anyway)
    - The USAF Drill Team (C'mon, we all know the Marines have us smoked in this category)
    - Tops in Blue (Does anyone actually go to those shows that don't have to?)
    - All Bands (Or at least just have one joint band, each service doesn't need it's own and the USAF certainly doesn't need 12 Active and 11 ANG Bands)
    - All of the extra crap you see in AF Times every week: Airman climb Mt. Everest, EOD hikes from Texas to Florida, etc... (Really, you know they're not doing on leave)
    - Tuition Assistance (I know I'll get beat up for this one) Everyone else in the world pays for college somehow, you should too

    This is just me venting, but there's a lot of NCO's, SNCO's and O's in those programs that could be contibuting to the mission so maybe we don't have to deploy once a year anymore. And all of that funding could be better used somewhere else.

    Any other ideas?
    CCAF; is the lowest hanging fruit.
    Wing historians

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    862
    Likes (Received)
    565
    Thanks (Received)
    59

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Some shop additional duties are self-imposed. Unless directly required by T.O. or AFI, bold leadership should put the end to them. Example, the tired old requirement that each workcenter needs to have it's own "safety bulletin board". One centrally located board (accessible by many shops, like in a central hallway) meets the AFI requirement. It's time for those boards to go virtual, have a sharepoint site that "posts" all the various letters, etc. Does the new wing commander's policy on safety, sexual assault, DUI, etc. really say anything of value or is it simply a CYA requirement. It is possible that additional duties could be shared between sister shops...if the unit is hell-bent on supply/PMEL/DIFM liaisons, combine them into a single duty with 1 rep from each workcenter rather than each workcenter having 2-3 doing the duty. There are ways to be smart, but it requires bold leadership (or is it management?) willing to think smart vice thinking "that's the way it was when I was a SSgt..."
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    862
    Likes (Received)
    565
    Thanks (Received)
    59

    Default Re: Things that should go away...

    Many (most) companies offer Tuition Assistance along with healthcare & retirement benefits. The very last thing any Enlisted member should support is the cutback of any of our benefits. There is waste and inefficiency, but benefits are not the place to look.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •