Thread: Money saving idea

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Money saving idea

I'm probably going to be hated for suggesting this idea, but here goes.
    In a time where the Government is looking for ways to cut spending and save money, I thought of this...

The DoD should stop paying for dependent's visas. If a servicemember is going to be stationed overseas and if a visa is required for their dependents in the country they're going to be stationed at, then the servicemember should be fully responsible for paying the visa fees. If a servicemember cannot afford the visa fees, then they should NOT be assigned overseas OR they should be sent unaccompanied.

If you look around and see all the dependents overseas, there's literally tens of millions of dollars spent on visas alone.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Money saving idea

There are many who are selected for overseas assignments even though it was not on their dream sheet. I do not agree making dependents pay for visas. By that logic, make people pay for their PCS. There are other ways to cut the budget. How about stop constructing new buildings when the old buildings can be used for a couple of more years? Cut down on the amount of F35s purchased. Or, stop giving money to other countries, when that money can be used here. Anyway, there are tons of other things that can be cut.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think that no one should be allowed to get married until they have done at least 20 years. Yeah, and no money to foreign countries, either.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

With dependent rate BAH--cut it. Having a dependent is a personal choice, but shouldn't be another government liability!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Here's my reasoning for this idea...
    First off, not every country requires dependents to have a visa. Germany was one country. Yet, there are other countries that do require a visa for dependents, such as Turkey and the UK.
    In the UK, the AF use to reimburse the TV tax (about 145 GBP yearly) and the road tax(only one vehicle at 210 GBP). However, AF had decided to stop reimbursing these expenses in order to save money. The Wing/CC (when the decision was made in Jan 2013) told a group of us "These are just the expenses we must now endure if we decide to live overseas."
    So, if we want to live overseas and have dependents, we should all endure the expense of the dependent visas.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
    I'm probably going to be hated for suggesting this idea, but here goes.
    In a time where the Government is looking for ways to cut spending and save money, I thought of this...

The DoD should stop paying for dependent's visas. If a servicemember is going to be stationed overseas and if a visa is required for their dependents in the country they're going to be stationed at, then the servicemember should be fully responsible for paying the visa fees. If a servicemember cannot afford the visa fees, then they should NOT be assigned overseas OR they should be sent unaccompanied.

If you look around and see all the dependents overseas, there's literally tens of millions of dollars spent on visas alone.
    Damn good idea. Also i suggest if someone "High up" wants to take a tour overseas for "Morale checking (or what ever) THEY pay out of their own pocket for all their staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    There are many who are selected for overseas assignments even though it was not on their dream sheet. I do not agree making dependents pay for visas. By that logic, make people pay for their PCS. There are other ways to cut the budget. How about stop constructing new buildings when the old buildings can be used for a couple of more years? Cut down on the amount of F35s purchased. Or, stop giving money to other countries, when that money can be used here. Anyway, there are tons of other things that can be cut.
    Especially when those countries hate our guts.

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    With dependent rate BAH--cut it. Having a dependent is a personal choice, but shouldn't be another government liability!
    While i agree with that (heck i would go so far to remove all the dependent benefits, other than them getting id cards and being able to use base facilities), too many will feel this is 'slaming on families'..

Thread Information