Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Air Force reviewing booking policy after complaints about comedian

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force reviewing booking policy after complaints about comedian

I think the Colonel is being a little hard on himself.

==========================
    Air Force reviewing booking policy after complaints about comedian

By Adam L. Mathis
    Stars and Stripes
    Published: August 16, 2013

RAF MILDENHALL, England — A comedian’s on-base performance at RAF Lakenheath, in which he joked about spiking a woman’s drink to obtain sex, has prompted Air Force officials to review procedures regarding entertainment provided to troops.

Comedian Mitch Fatel’s act last weekend in England caught the attention of Air Force officials, including Col. Mark K. Ciero, the 48th Wing vice commander, who was in the audience for the Aug. 10 performance.
    In a commentary posted on the RAF Lakenheath website, Ciero described Fatel’s act as “crude.”

At the start of the routine, the comedian came close, but did not cross the line on being overly inappropriate, Ciero wrote.
    But, then Fatel “insulted women’s anatomies, added a punch line about spiking drinks to facilitate sex, described repeatedly removing undergarments while whispering ‘she was asleep,’ ” Ciero wrote in his commentary. “Then in his coup de grace, demonstrated how to physically push a lady into oral sex and remove the evidence. The headliner hit the line obliquely, kept assaulting, and crossed headstrong.”

The performance comes at a time when the U.S. military is reeling from a number of sex assault scandals that have prompted top military and civilian leadership to stress a zero-tolerance policy toward such incidents.
    Recently, the Air Force came out with a tough new policy that says airmen who commit any type of sexual misconduct, whether groping a co-worker or rape, face dismissal from the service.
    The Pentagon says there were more than 3,000 cases of sexual assault reported in the military last year and almost 800 of those were in the Air Force.

Additionally, Gen. Mark Welsh III, Air Force chief of staff, has repeatedly called on all airmen to help stop sexual assault in the service.
    “Everybody in our Air Force needs to think that way and every commander, every supervisor who isn’t actively engaged in being part of the solution of this is part of the problem,” Welsh said just prior to taking over his post in August 2012.

In his commentary on the Lakenheath website, Ciero criticized his own lack of action during the show, calling it an example of what airmen should not do.
    “I left the show. I could have taken charge, upheld the line of our new military culture of professionalism and respect, and interrupted the comedian,” Ciero wrote. “As Airmen and leaders, we are taught to intervene ... On all accounts, I failed to stand up and take the sword from the attacker, the microphone from the comedian. Instead, I departed and reported.“For those I left behind in the Liberty Club still under assault by the headliner, sorry. No airman, no human, deserves the depravity shrouded in comedy associated with our military,” he said.

In a telephone interview Friday, Ciero said his commander and officials at 3rd Air Force and U.S. Air Forces in Europe were aware of the issues with the performance. He said he was told “that we’re going to go back and re-evaluate the processes and procedures we put in place to make sure that entertainers follow the guidelines that they’re given.”
    Fatel’s tour schedule on the Armed Forces Entertainment website shows he visited bases in Germany and England before ending at Lakenheath. An official with USAFE said complaints were lodged after an earlier performance at RAF Croughton, England.

Attempts to reach Fatel’s media agent and representatives of Armed Forces Entertainment, which booked the act, were unsuccessful before deadline Friday

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Air Force reviewing booking policy after complaints about comedian

Really, the booked a comedian with a routine consisting almost completely about sex, not getting laid, and obsession with "woman parts" and then wonder how it went wrong?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

People are pussy's. If you don't want to hear stuff like that then don't go.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AFKILO7 View Post
    People are pussy's. If you don't want to hear stuff like that then don't go.
    I agree, but this does not fit into the current theme regarding this topic. You see, there is no personal responsibility for anything anymore. There is always something or someone to blame for the actions of people. In this case, the next person that commits a sexual assault at that base can now say they were influenced by the comedy routine that the chain of command allowed to happen. Even this Colonel was shocked and questioned the wisdom of having this comedy routine exposed to the troops. After all, the troops of course have no ability to think for themselves. The troops are so easily influenced by something like a comedy routine that the troops must be protected from such exposure at all costs.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

yea, or if you don't like it leave.

I do think USO should probably do a little better research on who they ask to do their shows. Given the recent news and congressional attention to sexual assault, this guy was a poor choice, if you see what I'm sayin'

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    yea, or if you don't like it leave.

I do think USO should probably do a little better research on who they ask to do their shows. Given the recent news and congressional attention to sexual assault, this guy was a poor choice, if you see what I'm sayin'
    Yes it was a very poor choice. It would require minimal research to get an idea of Mitch Fatel's act. I would hope that even those in the position to book the act would realize that they should know the difference between Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The comedian is an asshole to joke about drugging a woman. It's just not a laughing matter, period.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I went to the show and I didn't think it was that bad. I've seen worse comedians than him on USO tours, but a lot of the people were laughing at his jokes.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    The comedian is an asshole to joke about drugging a woman. It's just not a laughing matter, period.
    So where do you draw the line? Can a comedian joke about murder? Abortion? 9/11? Smoking weed? Or should we just all go watch Gallagher (sp?)?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I guess my stance is if you are offended easily...don't go. with that in mind whenever someone came during a USO tour I tried to research the acts to see if it was worth my time. I was deployed (I use the term liberally when at Ali Al Salem) and Carlos Mencia came to visit with his midget friend. The duo managed to sucessfully rag on Officers and the reflective belt. They used foul language and I'm sure people were offended. The military isn't a faqing daycare and I don't need my hand held. If you want to turn it into that then you have absolutely no business leading men (and women) into any form of combat. Period.

Thread Information