Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New AF Times Cartoon...offensive?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default New AF Times Cartoon...offensive?

Did anyone else find the newest AF Times Cartoon in the back of the newspaper a little offensive? I personally did mostly because I know that the situation like that in the cartonn actually happens in many offices/work centers in the AF.

I don't have a copy of it but here's the basics of it (it might not be the exact wording, but it's close. Maybe others can clear it up or find it)

Square one
    Sgt: Airman, is that a Bible on your desk
    Airman: Yes sir, it is, I read it during lunch breaks

Square two
    Airman: Its taught me to treat others with respect and treat others as you wanted to be treated

Square three
    Sgt: You're one reason why moral cohesion has decreased.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: New AF Times Cartoon...offensive?

I don't understand the punch line.

What the heck are you doing reading cartoons in the first place?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It made me angry. Way to twist everything around so its the mean atheist vs. the poor Christian. Sheesh.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The Family Circus usually pisses me off. Of all the newspaper comics that one has to be the worst of all time. How that guy makes a living off that comic baffles me.

I also never understood who reads comics like Mary Worth! WTF?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The Family Circus usually pisses me off. Of all the newspaper comics that one has to be the worst of all time. How that guy makes a living off that comic baffles me.

I also never understood who reads comics like Mary Worth! WTF?

I taught myself how to read using the comic strips of the local newspapers in New Orleans. My sisters helped me with words that I could not guess the meaning of. I was reading newspapers and books prior to starting Kindergarten. Reading comics started for me in 1944 and continues to this day. I read Dick Tracy, Smiling Jack, The Phantom, Mandrake The Magician, Gasoline Alley, Jim Thorpe and many others. My favorite of all comics was one named "Rick O'Shay, drawn by a real cowboy from Montana, who passed away just last week. I encouraged my kids and now my grandkids to read comic strips. Some they like and some they don't, but it is a great way to get kids into reading! I now read online editions of electronic newspapers and I still read most comic strips on a daily basis. With the news of the world around us, reading comics helps maintain our sense of humor and our sanity.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not sure what the punch line means either. Probably what the cartoonist intended. I'm wondering if it might be in reference to the inspections for objectionable materials in the workplace. I thought I saw where some folks had to remove some religious items. I'll just say that I don't see a problem with someone having a Bible on their desk.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Personally, I don't think religion of any kind should be in the work place, civilian, or military. Seems with so many different gods and religious beliefs in this world it all should be kept private. If everyone in an office was of a different religion and brought their religious objects for display I don't think it would be a comfortable work place. Religion should be kept private and not put on display. Just look at what's going on around the world because of religion.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyoldawg View Post
    Personally, I don't think religion of any kind should be in the work place, civilian, or military. Seems with so many different gods and religious beliefs in this world it all should be kept private. If everyone in an office was of a different religion and brought their religious objects for display I don't think it would be a comfortable work place. Religion should be kept private and not put on display. Just look at what's going on around the world because of religion.
    "As experienced in 'MTF' recently is a great example of it."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyoldawg View Post
    As someone who grew up in church I agree with you. If everyone brought their religious symbol things would get a bit awkward. Its like with the rules on how to fly the US flag. According to law US should be highest but what if a Mexican wants to fly his above? That would start a problem. Then imagine a Cuban also thought his flag should be on top. That would just create problems. I have no problem with anyone worshipping the god of their choice. I just don't think there is a place for them to advocate their god above all the others. As far as Im concerned do what you want but keep it at home

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    It made me angry. Way to twist everything around so its the mean atheist vs. the poor Christian. Sheesh.
    Sarcasm?

I've been looking for the cartoon he is talking about and can't find it.

Thread Information