Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Combat Dining In Stories

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Combat Dining In Stories

I don't have any good stories about Combat Dining Ins.

I only went to two of them in my entire career; the last one was a couple of months before I retired and was fun.

The best story I've heard was from a C-141 loadmaster who said that he went to one at Shaw AFB and saw a Brigadier General punch a TSgt in the mouth because the TSgt threw water on him.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Combat Dining In Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The best story I've heard was from a C-141 loadmaster who said that he went to one at Shaw AFB and saw a Brigadier General punch a TSgt in the mouth because the TSgt threw water on him.
    This is exactly why I felt tense during some of these. I was always worried one of my troops would take things too far and an officer would end up butt hurt.

Is it me or have Combat Dining-Ins have fallen by the way side these last 5 or so years?
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We had a Combat Dining-In at DLI, maybe 1997. Place: lawn of the CC's house. We were a small element and the lawn was pretty good-sized. We had a great time. Plenty of water around. Only had one officer in the element who was despised and I don't think anyone watered her. But everyone else got wet. I certainly got wet, and I wetted people.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

All things considered, I'd have to say they are dumb events.

If you happen to be in one of those rare units that have camaraderie they can be fun but there is always a chance of things going to far.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    This is exactly why I felt tense during some of these. I was always worried one of my troops would take things too far and an officer would end up butt hurt.

Is it me or have Combat Dining-Ins have fallen by the way side these last 5 or so years?
    They have fallen victim to the AF getting overly but hurt by all things fun. Unless of course it's mandatory fun.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    All things considered, I'd have to say they are dumb events.

If you happen to be in one of those rare units that have camaraderie they can be fun but there is always a chance of things going to far.
    Yeah, we were lucky in that respect. Our little element's level of camaraderie was pretty high. Our CC for most of my time there did a lot to foster it, too. One of my favorite pictures is the one of the Element, in dress blues, taken at the Sloat Monument on the Presidio of Monterey for the AF's 50th birthday in 1997. There was only one person in the Element I didn't like, and she was basically despised by all. Otherwise, it was always a pleasure to see fellow Element members, and you knew if you needed something an Element member would help.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I heard a story of two LTs at McGuire who got an ART 15s for running through the mess with blow up dolls in flight suits.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I went to one in 09 and both the MC’s got smashed before the thing even started. They were slurring, swaying, and could barely read the script. It got so bad that the Col just told them to go away and we just winged it the rest of the time.
    Same dining in, our “guest” speaker was another Col from across the base. He was saying how great our unit was and all that stuff, but the day prior he did a brief for all the newcomers and totally forgot to mention us as part of the base…so I guess we were only important and special if he got invited to our events. Some SrA tried to call him out and make him do the grog bowl, everyone in attendance agreed, but of course the Col said no and kind of ruined the moment and everyone just started doing their own thing and blocked him out for the rest of his speech since he didn’t want to follow the rules.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have only been to a Dining Out. It was fairly crazy. One spouse went nuts on her hubbys supervisor. She seemed to hold a grudge.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Went to a good one on Guam back in 00-01 timeframe. Someone's wife had to pee and kept messing up the routine, so she kept having to go back up to the grog bowl and get soaked on the way up and back. I think she finally just said "screw it" and wet herself. Went and changed during the next break. That was the one with the godawful quest speaker...some history professor from the University of Guam, who babbled on and on for about 45 minutes. Eventually, the Colonel cut him off, saying everybody was going to piss themselves if he did stop soon.

Thread Information