Thread: The Office Snack Bar

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default The Office Snack Bar

Kind of like a spin off from The Office Fridge.

We had a couple of young airmen in our shop who felt that the snack bar was a charity for them after they had go broke 2 days after receiving their paychecks. We had to resort to put the items under lock and key and whenever someone wanted something they had to pay on the spot. It got a little bit taxing after that and we got rid of it.

What type of snack bar customer are you?:

1. Pay on the spot

2. Leave IOU notes then pay when paycheck arrives

3. Leave IOU notes and don't pay ever

4. Free for me
    Last edited by Bunch; 08-15-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglÚs con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en Úl reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: The Office Snack Bar

Yep, we had one with sticky fingers...later he stole some laptops and pawned them.

Always sucks when someone would steal from their peers. At Keesler AAFES had to remove the vending machines from inside our schoolhouse to make room for some comm equipment (why comm didn't use the comm room was beyond me), but it gave us the opportunity to start a student snack bar. Padlocked with an instructor opening it on each break. Made $ hand over fist. Bought microwaves for the students and instructors, popcorn makers, coffee pots. We even had pizza parties, ice cream for the students. For us we had a steak broil & crawfish boil luncheon...even invited the MTLs over. great times.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I just leave IOU's with my Chief's name on it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I pay as I go. The only time I get hung up is when I don't have any singles to put in the lockbox. I mark the sheet until I get change. We have a long column and mine reads owe 2 bucks then paid next to it. A couple weeks later owe 3 bucks paid. So on so on. We are lucky everyone for the most part seems to be honest and we make enough money to have lunch once or twice a year.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Some friends and I started a snack bar a few years back when I was at Travis. We made a lot of money at first but then snacks and money came up missing. I would also get mad when I saw pennies in the jar and it would not even add up. We had to close it down a few months later because we started to lose money and people were being dishonest. I think it was someone from nightshift taking the food though. We tried to lock it sometimes but it just did not seem to work.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Red face Re: The Office Snack Bar

We rolled bank on a snack-bar for FTAC. Every fundraiser group knew to stop by because we would donate proceeds to each and every one. Also bought some very nice items for the FTAC classroom.

Nowdays, if it is a snackbar outside of my work area, I pay per item of course. If its in my own area, I usually just throw in a 20 every other week. I probably don't use over $10... but I just donate to the cause anyways.
    Last edited by 20+Years; 08-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    Kind of like a spin off from The Office Fridge.

We had a couple of young airmen in our shop who felt that the snack bar was a charity for them after they had go broke 2 days after receiving their paychecks. We had to resort to put the items under lock and key and whenever someone wanted something they had to pay on the spot. It got a little bit taxing after that and we got rid of it.

What type of snack bar customer are you?:

1. Pay on the spot

2. Leave IOU notes then pay when paycheck arrives

3. Leave IOU notes and don't pay ever

4. Free for me
    I pay on the spot. If I don't have the money then I don't get a snack. I usually keep some loose change at my job just for this reason. I don't like IOUs. Still, snack bar boils down to integrity.

Thread Information