Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

When I first saw this headline I was thinking it might be a joke article from duffleblog. Then I opened the link and realized this is actually true. So now the DoD is providing benefits for Gay troops and even giving them entitlements that straight airmen are not eligible for.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...marriage-leave

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

I just read the article. It looks like there are a bunch of rules and conditions. Not all gays will have those free days of leave though. If they are within 100 miles of a state that performs same sex marriage then they do not get the free days of leave. I am more understanding of the overseas policy vs. the stateside policy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not only do they get uncharged leave, they also get retroactive bennies...wonder how much THAT will cost the DoD...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have no problem with same-sex marriages but how is this 'equal treatment'?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Holy nut bags. So if a couple is 120 miles away from a state that has gay marriage, they get 7 days??? Let me restate... drive 2 hours, get married, and recieve 7 days of leave. Oh hell nah. That is plain and simple wrong. These blanket policies are B.S. I am not against giving them leave for a service not in the area they should be all rights be entitled too, but make it reasonable. Within 8 hrs = 3 days, ect. Basically, I see us now advocating honeymoon time for only gay troops.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm filing a mental anguish claim for having to suppress my gayness.

How much money do you think I can get?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

20+Years,

I agree with you. It makes sense for overseas assignments but not for CONUS.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok, after the inital reaction, wouldn't the supreme court ruling ALSO include heterosexual couples? If say you were stationed overseas and wanted to get married, you should be GIVEN 10 days of leave to go home and get hitched right? It does state that the DoD is required to treat all couples who are married under STATE law equally. So if heterosexuals have to take leave to go back to the U.S. to get married, why wouldn't a homosexual? Woudn't a heterosexual that wanted to elope and didn't live within 100 miles of NV be eligible for 7 non-chargable days of leave in Vegas? After all, it is those discrimmanatory state laws that prevent them from getting married TODAY....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Wow, I'm speechless. Let them get married on their own time. That's what we all have to do.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Ok, after the inital reaction, wouldn't the supreme court ruling ALSO include heterosexual couples? If say you were stationed overseas and wanted to get married, you should be GIVEN 10 days of leave to go home and get hitched right? It does state that the DoD is required to treat all couples who are married under STATE law equally. So if heterosexuals have to take leave to go back to the U.S. to get married, why wouldn't a homosexual? Woudn't a heterosexual that wanted to elope and didn't live within 100 miles of NV be eligible for 7 non-chargable days of leave in Vegas? After all, it is those discrimmanatory state laws that prevent them from getting married TODAY....
    No, it won't work both ways, as heterosexual marriage will be offered wherever we are. This only applies to the service not being offered in your location, not just choosing "where" you want to be hitched.

Once all states pass gay marriage (if they ever do), it will kill this policy stateside.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Thread Information