Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unit CC bad decision

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Unit CC bad decision

I've seen this happen a few times at my base:
    A unit commander has recommend an airman to be discharge from the service. The airman goes before an Admin Discharge Board, but the Admin Discharge Board decides to keep the individual in the service.

My question, since the airman was not discharge and allowed to continue to serve, does it look bad on the unit commander for making this recommendaton or is it simply not documented anywhere on his records?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Unit CC bad decision

Are you talking about the CC's records?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

IMO, doesn't make the CC look bad, it was just a recommendation. Probably will not go into any official record for the CC but a lesson learned in his/her future decisions.
    I.M.O.I.H.T.T.T.A.N.B.T.T.T.T.B.O.M.K.I.T.S.H.M.G.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Most CC's won't pursue discharge unless legal thinks there is a case. A discharge board is allot like a courts marshal. The decision is up to the board members who may have seen things differently then the CC did. ADCs are good at there job too so that may have helped allot.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

There is no paper trail (OPR or PRF) that would document something like this. Like said, the CC was making a recommendation based upon the situation and advice from ADC (and hopefully his SNCO leadership CCF/CCM).
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Hmmm. I bet I know what the CCs reccomendation will be when reenlistment comes around.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Most CC's won't pursue discharge unless legal thinks there is a case. A discharge board is allot like a courts marshal. The decision is up to the board members who may have seen things differently then the CC did. ADCs are good at there job too so that may have helped allot.
    They don't have to pursue anything...all they have to do is put not reccomended on the 418...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Very little follows as CC unless it somehow reflects on their OER. Substantiated IG complaints don't even follow them. The situation is just corrected and the CC moves on. How it hurts them is entirely dependent on how the CC's boss decides to handle it. And it was my experience that most bosses give them a free ride on a one off mistake.

However, there is one thing that can really help/hurt a CC...the Unit Climate Assessment. Their bosses are required to read those and if the surveys are consistent across the board this can really give the CC's boss insight into a CC's leadership...whether it be good or bad. For example...if a squadron of 150 has over 100 surveys of questionable actions by a CC...the CCs boss now has a vested interest in fixing the problem because the CC's continued behavior could eventually bite his or her's boss in the ass, especially if it was noted during climate surveys

Don't let your troops blow off Unit Climate Assessment surveys. It's the one time a CC's boss can get a good gauge on CC and senior enlisted leadership. The AF is now beginning to take these more seriously every year. I know it was also a good gauge for me and where I needed to improve. A CC didn't have to let me read those surveys, but fortunately all my CCs wanted me into the loop regardless since it helped them if I had insight into what needed to be looked at. I had only one CC that didn't let me into the loop...and that was because she refused to have a climate assessment done since it wasn't in her best interest to get one done. However, they are required by reg.
    Last edited by BRUWIN; 08-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    They don't have to pursue anything...all they have to do is put not reccomended on the 418...
    Depends on if the CC wants to deal with the person until their enlistment is up or not. If they have a year or two left and the circumstances warrant it a CC may pursure discharge/separation. Crap troops can be a poison pill to a unit.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Very little follows as CC unless it somehow reflects on their OER. Substantiated IG complaints don't even follow them. The situation is just corrected and the CC moves on. How it hurts them is entirely dependent on how the CC's boss decides to handle it. And it was my experience that most bosses give them a free ride on a one off mistake.

However, there is one thing that can really help/hurt a CC...the Unit Climate Assessment. Their bosses are required to read those and if the surveys are consistent across the board this can really give the CC's boss insight into a CC's leadership...whether it be good or bad. For example...if a squadron of 150 has over 100 surveys of questionable actions by a CC...the CCs boss now has a vested interest in fixing the problem because the CC's continued behavior could eventually bite his or her's boss in the ass, especially if it was noted during climate surveys

Don't let your troops blow off Unit Climate Assessment surveys. It's the one time a CC's boss can get a good gauge on CC and senior enlisted leadership. The AF is now beginning to take these more seriously every year. I know it was also a good gauge for me and where I needed to improve. A CC didn't have to let me read those surveys, but fortunately all my CCs wanted me into the loop regardless since it helped them if I had insight into what needed to be looked at. I had only one CC that didn't let me into the loop...and that was because she refused to have a climate assessment done since it wasn't in her best interest to get one done. However, they are required by reg.
    A few years ago on a Unit Climate Assessment our Chief got blasted for several things he had done. Things like having a "fun run" when the CC was on leave because he knew the CC hated them. Tasking airmen with something and not notifying supervisors of the shop, making people doing maintenance change in and out of Blues between jobs, doing open ranks at 0530 when the CC was on leave, blasting individuals in mass emails over something rather trivial, and much more. Anytime you tried to talk to him about an issue such as tasking your airman without letting you know...he said he was a chief and could do what he wanted. It was bad. But everyone blasted him on the UCA. He then called a meeting with all enlisted and chewed us all out. Told us that the UCA was not the place to address issues with him.
    Insert clever quote here...

Thread Information