Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Wing Bites The Dust

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Another Wing Bites The Dust

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...security-test/

An Air Force unit responsible for dozens of nuclear missiles failed a recent safety and security inspection -- a setback that comes just months after the Air Force temporarily sidelined 17 officers in connection with a prior inspection flop.

The latest failure was recorded by the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont. According to Air Force Global Strike Command, the unit received an "unsatisfactory" rating during the inspection in early August after personnel made "tactical-level errors" during an exercise.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2bskFhePb

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Another Wing Bites The Dust

Never seemed to be a problem until we starting focusing on:

PT
    Bake Sales
    Volunteerism
    Square Filling

But, what do I know. I was stationed in Minot (99-05), we performed our mission flawlessly during OEF/OIF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

And here we go again...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kicker47 View Post
    And here we go again...

I am sure we are going to have more nuclear related CBTs now. Who knows, they might start teaching this at basic.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'll be honest...when I read the headline, I thought for sure it was the ol' Minot gang again...

Kinda disappointed that it was Malmstrom, as they had a reputation for being the "quiet" Missile Wing...usually stayed out of trouble...heard only good things from friends stationed there.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Being a 22-year Army guy I'm not sure what would be comparable. Seriously, from a practical no-spin point of view... how big a deal is this?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Being a 22-year Army guy I'm not sure what would be comparable. Seriously, from a practical no-spin point of view... how big a deal is this?
    In the old SAC days, the IG would have brought Rock Hudson along as the Wing Commander in waiting. He would have taken over for the guy who failed, who would take the return flight with the IG to explain to the SAC Commander why he let down the free world.

But then McPeak came along and now when nuclear wings fail, it's another justification for why we need more F-22s and leather jackets for the 'manly men'.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I failed an IG as a commander. It was one policy. Everything else was squared away. I suspect it was more political than functional. So, to me, a failed inspection is not in and of itself a big deal.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Can we get Weird Al Yankovic to do this like Queen's Another One Bites the Dust!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rear view mirror View Post
    I failed an IG as a commander. It was one policy. Everything else was squared away. I suspect it was more political than functional. So, to me, a failed inspection is not in and of itself a big deal.
    Indeed. When I was at Goodfellow saw us fail an ATC inspection, an MEI, if I remember correctly. Goodfellow had, a few years prior, been transferred to ATC from Security Service, and there was a good deal of anti-ATC sentiment still around. Believe that was a "political" failure, too. We passed the re-inspection. Guess Randolph figured we "got our minds right".

As a side note, there was one particular lieutenant colonel on the ATC IG team who had all the clearances and accesses for the secure training facilities, and he was a holy terror. I remember him giving me a bit of a whack. A few years later I'm doing a meet-and-greet at Randolph before my PCS there. Met the new boss...yup, you guessed it. It was HIM. He had to sit me down and detraumatize me. Actually, he was a pretty good guy, just doing his duty at the time.

Thread Information