Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Biggest pet peeve as a supervisor or a troop

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Biggest pet peeve as a supervisor or a troop

My biggest pet peeve as a supervisor is people being late. It really gets under my skin. Then the excuses...there was a line at the gate, traffic, or whatever.

Also lying. Own it if you did something wrong.

As a troop...my supervisor throwing me under the bus for something they told me to do. Crappy feedback. Not having a backbone. I had one who refused to ever let anyone go early because the CC might get mad.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Biggest pet peeve as a supervisor or a troop

I hear you on the being late thing. Though in my case, i wouldn't call it a pet peeve so much as a moral imperative. Being on time, especially in the military, is important. Not showing up on time is disrespectful. But maybe, I'm just a nut about it.

Pet Peeve, for me, was when people didn't return emails or phone calls. I never was one to "spam forward" email, so when I did send one, it was usual something I needed an answer on. In this same category, was the trend before I retired of support service (MPF, Finance, primarily) not answering a customer service phone line. Why bother to have it then?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Being late and showing up with food is one that gets me going as a sup.
    Another one is troops not having a clock and using their phone as an alarm clock. So when they don't charge the phone...no alarm.

As a troop i didn't have many. Wasn't much back and forth discussion when i was an airman. A lot of one way conversations.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

People who have shoddy physical fitness regimens and get crappy scores on the PT test, then complain about the test being unfair.

Also, people who make fun of bake sale divas and PT Gods and claim they are wizards of their AFSCs while they are only mediocre.

Oh, and let's not forget the cynical smoke pit lawyer.

That's about it except for shitty EPR writers and clock watchers and deployment dodgers and appointment moguls and email spammers and break room squatters and constant spouse phone talkers and ABUs shouldn't be ironed preachers...hmmn, that's about it... Except for people who don't know how to use that conveyer belt toaster at the chow hall.

That's pretty much it...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I distinctly remember the conversation during ALS about being late. So many of the other SrA's were like, "just have your people bring in Taco's or doughnuts." I had just left Minot and if you were late and a nuclear missile movement was put on hold because of you...Article 15. Everyone was amazed.

My biggest pet peeve would have to be ass kissing. I believe that if you work your ass off, you will be fine. No need to kiss ass.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    People who have shoddy physical fitness regimens and get crappy scores on the PT test, then complain about the test being unfair.

Also, people who make fun of bake sale divas and PT Gods and claim they are wizards of their AFSCs while they are only mediocre.

Oh, and let's not forget the cynical smoke pit lawyer.

That's about it except for shitty EPR writers and clock watchers and deployment dodgers and appointment moguls and email spammers and break room squatters and constant spouse phone talkers and ABUs shouldn't be ironed preachers...hmmn, that's about it... Except for people who don't know how to use that conveyer belt toaster at the chow hall.

That's pretty much it...
    The smoke pit lawyer...and the person who takes their word for gospel.

SrA Snuffy said you can't write me up the first time I do something wrong.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Biggest pet peeve as a supervisor/NCO: people thinking they can pull rank, or be an asshole to you when you correct an infraction. Apologize, correct, and move on. If I am polite and respectful when I point out the issue, the same in return would be nice.

As a troop: Not having my supervisor set out his/her expectations for me, i.e. no feedbacks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by js7799 View Post
    Biggest pet peeve as a supervisor/NCO: people thinking they can pull rank, or be an asshole to you when you correct an infraction. Apologize, correct, and move on. If I am polite and respectful when I point out the issue, the same in return would be nice.

As a troop: Not having my supervisor set out his/her expectations for me, i.e. no feedbacks.
    A few years ago when I first arrived on Lackland I saw an officer walking across the BX parking. He was on his phone and had his hat in his hand. I simply did the old tap my head and say "Sir cover" and he FLIPPED OUT.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    A few years ago when I first arrived on Lackland I saw an officer walking across the BX parking. He was on his phone and had his hat in his hand. I simply did the old tap my head and say "Sir cover" and he FLIPPED OUT.
    I would have flipped out too! Do you think you are a Marine? Calling a hat, cover, that's just absurd!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I would have flipped out too! Do you think you are a Marine? Calling a hat, cover, that's just absurd!
    LOL. I have always called it cover.

Thread Information