Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CPO sentenced for sexual assault

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default CPO sentenced for sexual assault

I heard about a CPO from the USS Germantown in Yokosuka sentenced to 90 days in the brig, reduction to Seaman Recruit and a Bad Conduct Discharge after being convicted of sexual assault.

Chief had 23 years of service, admitted that sex took place but that it was consensual and that she came on to him. Both sides agree she was drunk ... she says that he forced her to strip and that she complied with sex for about 5 minutes.

Once convicted the defense argued that denying him retirement would be punishing his family (wife and 4 children).

I wasn't in the court, but even if his side is completely true he definitely put himself in a pretty awkward situation (taking her to medical by himself after hours and/or into the Chief's Mess alone -- the story is a bit unclear).
    Last edited by Stalwart; 08-05-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: CPO sentenced for sexual assault

Didn't this Chief know? You've gotta be an officer - O4 or above - to do all that, and still retire!
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I guess it is hard to say based on limited knowledge of the proceedings, but overall do you think it would be appropriate to let someone with 23 years of service retire if convicted of sexual assault, fraternization & adultery?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't have sex with suboridinates. If you're married, only have sex with your spouse.

In an unrelated story, former deputy commander of 101st Airborne found not guilty after all 15 accusers had their careers and lives destroyed by both prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I heard about a CPO from the USS Germantown in Yokuska sentenced to 90 days in the brig, reduction to Seaman Recruit and a Bad Conduct Discharge after being convicted of sexual assault.

Chief had 23 years of service, admitted that sex took place but that it was consensual and that she came on to him. Both sides agree she was drunk ... she says that he forced her to strip and that she complied with sex for about 5 minutes.

Once convicted the defense argued that denying him retirement would be punishing his family (wife and 4 children).

I wasn't in the court, but even if his side is completely true he definitely put himself in a pretty awkward situation (taking her to medical by himself after hours and/or into the Chief's Mess alone -- the story is a bit unclear).
    What is the Chief doing having sex with an intoxicated female? On board ship?

"Defense attorney Lt. Brandon Sargent disputed how much she drank, based on testimony from other sailors. Two medical experts testified they could not conclusively determine she was drunk that night.

Neither side disputed that she shouted loud obscenities when she returned to the barge. She then fell down a ladder, prompting medical attention.

When a doctor tended to her, she told him to back away and asked for Averell, who wasn’t on the ship at the time. She told the court she feared she was in trouble for what she did in her drunken state.

“[Averell] always had my back when other chiefs yelled at me,” she testified.

Averell came to her aid and found no major injuries. She got up, went for a cigarette, and promptly fell down another ladder. After another examination, she returned to her rack, where yet another incident prompted Averell to remove her and take her to the chief’s mess — a place normally off-limits to junior sailors."

http://www.stripes.com/news/uss-germ...sault-1.232848

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I guess it is hard to say based on limited knowledge of the proceedings, but overall do you think it would be appropriate to let someone with 23 years of service retire if convicted of sexual assault, fraternization & adultery?
    I'm actually more concerned with policies being enforced equally more than anything else.

Fraternization and adultery should never keep anyone from retiring, in my opinion. Sexual assault, short of rape... is a bit different. Whatever the punishment, it needs to be the same for both officer and enlisted.

We all know damned well that had a Commander done the same, he'd simply be forced to retire - and he MIGHT be busted to Lieutenant Commander before that.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I'm actually more concerned with policies being enforced equally more than anything else.

Fraternization and adultery should never keep anyone from retiring, in my opinion. Sexual assault, short of rape... is a bit different. Whatever the punishment, it needs to be the same for both officer and enlisted.
    I would agree that not consistently enforcing policy creates a bad climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    We all know damned well that had a Commander done the same, he'd simply be forced to retire - and he MIGHT be busted to Lieutenant Commander before that.
    My experience has really been different. I have not seen a CDR separated for sexual assault, but have seen:

-Commander separated (no retirement) for alcohol related issues.
    -Lieutenant Commander separated for failing to qualify in new designator after redesignating.
    -Lieutenant Commander separated for losing his security clearance (clearance required for designator) -- not allowed to redesignate to a different job.
    -Lieutenant separated for failing to qualify in new designator after redesignating.
    -Lieutenant Junior Grade (12 year prior CPO) separated after Captains Mast for sexual harassment.
    -Ensign not promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade and separated for alcohol related issues.

Now, this has all been in my 10 years in the Navy (as an officer). In the 12 years I was in the Marine Corps I never knew of an officer separated for misconduct, but I was not privy to those circles.
    Last edited by Stalwart; 08-05-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: changed 'enforcing policy uniformly'

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I heard about a CPO from the USS Germantown in Yokuska sentenced to 90 days in the brig, reduction to Seaman Recruit and a Bad Conduct Discharge after being convicted of sexual assault.

"Talk about to cheap to get a room, unless they both had 'Cinderella liberty'; and then coming aboard smashed and with just a nod, forced to strip, and no one on board suspected anything afoul? On ship? The nosiest place at sea? 'Com'on man, don't add up!!"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What I read was that she started drinking at 1PM, that made me think it was likely a weekend or holiday and not a normal duty day. If it was not a duty day, I could see it happening. My last ship was very, very quiet on the weekends if there wasn't scheduled training or drills.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What I read was that she started drinking at 1PM, that made me think it was likely a weekend or holiday and not a normal duty day. If it was not a duty day, I could see it happening. My last ship was very, very quiet on the weekends if there wasn't scheduled training or drills.
    Still don't have all of the facts on this case. I think we all can agree that there is a huge disparity between officer and enlisted when punishment is administered. And back in the day it was fairly common for officer folk to simply walk away from serious transgressions. They were taken care of and looked out for each other. I've seen it before. Enlisted on the other hand were punished most severely in comparison. But back to the issue at hand, we still don't have all the facts. I'd really be interested in hearing the details of the case. There is not enough information to make an informed determination of what really happened. I have to agree that this guy was stupid; I'd never put myself in such a compromising situation to begin with knowing no one had my back.

Thread Information