Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Base housing

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Base housing

How many people have lived in base housing since it went privatized? Do you think service has gotten better or worse? I didn't live on base before it was privatized...but you would think a company would do a bit better taking care of things. My area has had insect infestations to include scorpions. Even found one in my dryer. They have sprayed many times and it seems they move from one house to the other.

Another issue that seems to have to be taken care of time and again is plumbing. It is really getting old.

Anyone else deal with these issues?

Oh..forgot to mention...lots of these houses have mold issues. They move people out of them and then a few months later move someone else in.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Base housing

Who is the company that took over? Balfour Beatty is taking over our housing here and it has me a bit fearful.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    How many people have lived in base housing since it went privatized? Do you think service has gotten better or worse? I didn't live on base before it was privatized...but you would think a company would do a bit better taking care of things. My area has had insect infestations to include scorpions. Even found one in my dryer. They have sprayed many times and it seems they move from one house to the other.

Another issue that seems to have to be taken care of time and again is plumbing. It is really getting old.

Anyone else deal with these issues?

Oh..forgot to mention...lots of these houses have mold issues. They move people out of them and then a few months later move someone else in.
    I only lived in privatized housing once and it was for a very short time. I really did not have many issues with the actual housing (it wasn't the best but I'm not that picky). My main issue is with having everyone in your business. Security Forces has joint jurisdiction in housing and let's be honest they get a little bored sometimes. I hated getting stopped on my street at one of their impromprtu checkpoints all the freaking time. Also I found it a bit ridiculous that if you have any issues in housing you are on the blotter and you have to explain things to your commander. If you live off base and your neighbors call the cops for noise the cops come and warn you and that is the end of it. If you live on base the cops come warn you then you get to work on monday and you get chewed out by your supervisor, flight chief, shirt, then commander. The same goes for lawn violations. If your yard is too tall off base maybe teh landlord or city has something to say about it but it never makes it back to base. If your yard is too tall in housing you get chewed out by supervisor, flight chief, shirt, and commander. Why would anyone willingly subject themelves to living in housing unless it was literally the last avaliable option?

P.S. I didn't even mention all of the nosey neighbors who spy on you and constantly start rumors about you at work. Don't even get me started on that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am getting ready to be back home with my family in base housing. I moved them into it during my mid tour and from what little I have seen everything seemed good. Family has been in there for 6 months and the only real complaints I hear is the ants but I can't blame the housing office for that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It all depends on what base you are at and who is taking over.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not too familiar with how base housing operates, though I should be seeing as I'm CE...

In the UK there is on-base housing (Liberty Village) run by 48th CES Housing Office with contracted maintenance. It is all brand-new and spacious by UK standards; a visiting RAF officer (O-6 equivalent) stated that the houses for Junior NCOs were nicer than RAF housing for their officers.

There is off-base privatized housing (Lord's Walk) that wouldn't be out of place in Detroit, Cleveland, or from the television show "The Wire". I fully-expect the theme music from Law & Order to be on constant repeat in that area . Crap houses. Crap security. Theft from vehicles and property, though it is also the fault of lazy USAF members who do not lock their belongings.

The off-base housing for officers at Mildenhall is gorgeous; huge 1930s-era homes with gated driveways and gated gardens.

At Tyndall AFB, there is housing right on the bay. One could launch a boat or kayak just a short walk from their back door.

At Robins AFB there is some "nice" housing but it looks as though it was built from plywood and plastic; I know it is maintained by contractors.

In fairness, the only "really bad" privatized housing I've seen is Lord's Walk in the UK.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Everybody's complaint here about privatized housing is about accurate. When I was living on base, the agency seemed like they only cared for the newly built houses.

My only real complaint was not being able to do minor maintenance to vehicles without being harrased. The hobby shop has terrible hours. If your a swing shifter..forget about it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

In my experience...when the contractor took over existing base housing, it is what it is, they did an ok job of managing it.

When they built new houses of their own, they built fantastic homes that were the best I'd ever seen.

Langley AFB.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 08-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    In my experience...when the contractor took over existing base housing, it is what it is, they did an ok job of managing it.

When they builty new houses of their own, they built fantastic homes that were the best I'd ever seen.

Langley AFB.
    I would say that Fort Meade mirrors your comment although I never lived in the new stuff. Talking with friends, many seemed to like it.

However, there is no shortage of Fort Meade haters out there and I'm sure that extends to the housing contractor, Piscerne.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When you look at the history of how this privatization came about, I don't think the intent was for the conractor to take over "old" housing. Now, I'm not sure but maybe these agreements require the contractor to build new housing in the future. As to the quality of maintainance, when it was done by maintainance contractors there was a quality assurance evaluator that ensured contract standards were met. The occupant had a button to push if things were not done right. With this new concept, I'm not sure what the complaint procedures are.

Thread Information