Thread: "US natgas boom sucks nuclear power into downdraft"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default "US natgas boom sucks nuclear power into downdraft"

Source: CNBC
    Author: Javier David
    Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100935682

Key statements from the article:
    Cheap and abundant natural gas is eating away at nuclear energy's traditional role in generating electricity in a way that has made the [nuclear] sector's prospects increasingly precarious
    Margaret Hill, co-chair of the environmental practice at law firm Blank Rome...said the long-term prospects of the nuclear industry are uncertain at best, especially in a sector operating in the shadow of Japan's 2011 nuclear disaster. "The economics and the environment are driving development and the use of shale oll and gas to provide power," she said.
    Interesting. I wonder if the impacts of natgas go beyond nuclear though. I know I've read articles about impacts to coal. Obviously natgas isn't going to replace aircraft fuel in the near future but might impact shipping.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: "US natgas boom sucks nuclear power into downdraft"

You mean to be telling me that shovelling coal into my nuclear power plants steam chimneys is no longer needed? Whew! For years I have been doing that, and I am sick and tired of shovelling, expecially when that doesn't seem to really do much, if anything at all.

However, I no longer need a reading lamp, since I glow enough to get by without using it.

Thread Information