Thread: Dog Advice

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Dog Advice

Kind of a dead section of the forum, but in case there is interest or someone needs help, I thought I'd generate a quick post.

I'm a dog person, I have 6 dogs (6 different breeds) and have personal experience with the following breeds:

Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, Basset Hounds, English Coonhounds, Dachshunds, Great Danes, and Border Collies.

If anyone needs help with their dog, I'd be happy to offer whatever help I can.
    Last edited by imnohero; 09-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Dog Advice

I got a Lab this Spring as a puppy (AKC papers included). He is a sweetie, but very hyper at 7 months old. I am trying to be patient with the jumping and chewing issues but it is getting old. He comes when I call, he sits and lays down. I have a huge backyard and he just loves to fetch anything thrown.

Since I have 3 boys ages 8 and younger, the jumping is my biggest concern. Is it just a battle of wills?

I read somewhere that Labs more than anything seek approval. When the dogs jumps, I should turn my back to him saying "OFF" or whatever command I want. By ignoring him, I am sending a louder message than anything else I could do. Is this true?

Thanks!
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We adopted a retired greyhound about 9 years ago. They are sleek mucular beautiful dogs. Our backyard isn't huge, so he runs figure 8s for his exercise, along with chasing after any stray critters that come into the yard. As a breed they are also about the laziest you have ever seen. He sleeps about 18 hours a day. For a military person, I was told and then proved, they do not have much endurance. I was told to only take him on short runs. I didn't heed that advice and was 2.5 into a 5 miler when I noticed that he was running out of gas. It did wonders for my self esteem knowing I out ran a grayhound. But I thought I was going to have to carry his 80 pounds that last 1.5 miles. That was the last time he went for a trot with me.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    We adopted a retired greyhound about 9 years ago. They are sleek mucular beautiful dogs. Our backyard isn't huge, so he runs figure 8s for his exercise, along with chasing after any stray critters that come into the yard. As a breed they are also about the laziest you have ever seen. He sleeps about 18 hours a day. For a military person, I was told and then proved, they do not have much endurance. I was told to only take him on short runs. I didn't heed that advice and was 2.5 into a 5 miler when I noticed that he was running out of gas. It did wonders for my self esteem knowing I out ran a grayhound. But I thought I was going to have to carry his 80 pounds that last 1.5 miles. That was the last time he went for a trot with me.
    You should continue to take him for runs. Just like you, he needs time to build up his endurance. He won't get that by not running.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I got a Lab this Spring as a puppy (AKC papers included). He is a sweetie, but very hyper at 7 months old. I am trying to be patient with the jumping and chewing issues but it is getting old. He comes when I call, he sits and lays down. I have a huge backyard and he just loves to fetch anything thrown.

Since I have 3 boys ages 8 and younger, the jumping is my biggest concern. Is it just a battle of wills?

I read somewhere that Labs more than anything seek approval. When the dogs jumps, I should turn my back to him saying "OFF" or whatever command I want. By ignoring him, I am sending a louder message than anything else I could do. Is this true?

Thanks!
    It's not a "battle of wills", he's just being a dog. Jumping and chewing are natural behaviors. I'll start with the easier thing first, chewing. I'm guessing you care if he chews the wrong thing, shoes, table legs, what have you. For this behavior, it's a matter of redirection. Get him a rawhide, or some other dog chew toy, and when you catch him chewing on the "wrong thing"...call him, give him "sit", and then give him the chew toy. If he has a shoe or something in his mouth, teach him a command like "drop" or "spit" or "trade" to get him to let go of it.

The jumping is a little harder because you will need your boys to do it, too, when he jumps on them. The best method I have found is three step:
    1) Push him off
    2) Give him "sit"
    3) when he sits give him a treat or praise and let him run around and stuff

This teaches him the correct way to great people is to sit and wait for them. You are going to have to get the boys to do it too, so the dog gets consistent commands on this issue from all his "people." Check out your local pet store or the internet for books or articles on how to break dogs of bad habits.

"Ignoring" is a good method of discipline and can vary from no eye contact, to turning your back, or simply walking past him. What doesn't work is "time out" in another room. The forget 10 seconds after you put them in there why they are there.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think my dog is still mad at me for getting his nuts cut. I feel bad.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    It's not a "battle of wills", he's just being a dog. Jumping and chewing are natural behaviors. I'll start with the easier thing first, chewing. I'm guessing you care if he chews the wrong thing, shoes, table legs, what have you. For this behavior, it's a matter of redirection. Get him a rawhide, or some other dog chew toy, and when you catch him chewing on the "wrong thing"...call him, give him "sit", and then give him the chew toy. If he has a shoe or something in his mouth, teach him a command like "drop" or "spit" or "trade" to get him to let go of it.

The jumping is a little harder because you will need your boys to do it, too, when he jumps on them. The best method I have found is three step:
    1) Push him off
    2) Give him "sit"
    3) when he sits give him a treat or praise and let him run around and stuff

This teaches him the correct way to great people is to sit and wait for them. You are going to have to get the boys to do it too, so the dog gets consistent commands on this issue from all his "people." Check out your local pet store or the internet for books or articles on how to break dogs of bad habits.

"Ignoring" is a good method of discipline and can vary from no eye contact, to turning your back, or simply walking past him. What doesn't work is "time out" in another room. The forget 10 seconds after you put them in there why they are there.
    That's better advice than I got from a trainer about a problem jumper.
    She said to either knee him in the chest or step on him feet. Neither worked, ever, and he continued to jump.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

efmbman, how you doing with the dog?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for asking - I should have posted an update. I come to accept that this will take time, so I took the time. While he still acts like a retard puppy, he is doing much better. He is just excitable, which is understandable. I take control and he feeds off of that. He will sit, lay down, and walk with me in the backyard like a normal dog. When he fetches, he will "give" and "sit" and wait for me to throw the ball again. I am letting him know that he is a good boy so he wants that attention.

He is a keeper lol
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Good, I'm glad it working out.

Thread Information