Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cross Fit and Safety

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Cross Fit and Safety

While Cross Fit is an excellent workout it seems like a big safety hazard to me when done in large groups.

At my gym this morning the cross fit group was running around the building carrying 45 lb plates. Some of them were in very close proximity to each other and they were grasping the plates by the edges with one or both hands and constantly shift and adjusting their grip. It is only a matter of time before some drops one of those plates on their foot or the person next to them.

I’ve also seen them working out with the kettle balls and it is nerve wracking to watch them swinging those things around each other.

I go to a civilian gym now but I used to see some crazy things in Air Force gyms. I’ve never seen anyone get hit by a 45 lb plate but did know a guy who had one dropped on his foot. It was a very serious injury and he required surgery and about a year to fully recover.

Has anyone seen this before and are the Cross Fit/P90X/Insanity work out people still clogging up the military gyms?
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 08-03-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Cross Fit and Safety

I don't see too many people at the gyms I use (Pentagon, House & Senate Gym & Fort Meade) doing it any more. It was really, REALLY popular at deployment sites (probably influenced by people having fewer 'personal life' distractions.)

I have done both P90X and Insanity, I like Insanity better since it doesn't require any extra equipment.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Lots of people into these fad workouts where I'm at.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I don't see too many people at the gyms I use (Pentagon, House & Senate Gym & Fort Meade) doing it any more. It was really, REALLY popular at deployment sites (probably influenced by people having fewer 'personal life' distractions.)

I have done both P90X and Insanity, I like Insanity better since it doesn't require any extra equipment.
    I used a modified version of P90X and I think it is a great work out. All that crazy stuff with flinging weights around while other people are in close proximity is just asking for trouble.

I hate the gym I'm currently using not only because of that but because there are too many cute females. While it is always nice to see a cute girl in spandex it is also very distracting! Plus, it causes a chain reaction of posturing and posing amongst the males that invariably pisses me off.

However, the cross fit squad is the worst because I always feel like Iím on the verge of witnessing a horrible accident.

I wish I could find an old fashioned gritty grimy gym like the one Rocky Balboa used in the first movie.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I used a modified version of P90X and I think it is a great work out. All that crazy stuff with flinging weights around while other people are in close proximity is just asking for trouble.

I hate the gym I'm currently using not only because of that but because there are too many cute females.
    While it is always nice to see a cute girl in spandex it is also very distracting! Plus, it causes a chain reaction of posturing and posing amongst the males that invariably pisses me off.

However, the cross fit squad is the worst because I always feel like Iím on the verge of witnessing a horrible accident.

I wish I could find an old fashioned gritty grimy gym like the one Rocky Balboa used in the first movie.
    Rainmaker gets sick of seeing these cross-fit assholes using up half the equipment in the gym at one time to get their workout on. Give me a fucking break. There's a difference between exercise and athletic conditioning. Half these idiots end up in the clinic. and Sleeveless under armor shirt guys looks like pussies lifting weights with gloves on. these the same jerks that shave their pubes. Rainmaker agree. Women don't belong in gyms with men. Women Weaken Legs.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Crossfit works if there's a gym that can support it. However, from what I've seen, there are a lot of gyms in the military that dedicate a small area to Crossfit (or TotalFit for legal purposes) and it usually ends up being way too close to other equipment or workout areas. In fact, we had someone doing kettlebell swings and it slipped and put a hole in our basketball court because the Crossfit area is way too close to the basketball court.

In Kuwait, we actually had two large tents dedicated to Crossfit and I never saw or heard of any injuries there.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have done Crossfit while I was in the Marine Corps. I was trying to get down to a certain waist measurement and it helped a lot. Of course I did it on top of regular PT. But I agree some of the exercises look weird, but they do work the other areas that regular exercise doesn't workout. But now in my civilian life I can't find a good gym that has both. There is a crossfit gym right up the street from me but they are wanting some crazy prices.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Personally i would like to see mil gyms start offering parcour training/work out areas..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Personally i would like to see mil gyms start offering parcour training/work out areas..
    What is that?

Do you mean this stuff?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m68zfdqATk

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Nope. Parkor is also called freerunning. Its what you see lots of guys getting into these days, and is big in the American Ninja competition!

Thread Information