Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What If?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default What If?

While reading the responses to "Advice To New Airmen" thread I began thinking about many of the pivotal decisions I've made throughout my Air Force career.

The process for me to get into the Air Force took the better part of two years. My optic nerve was elliptical in shape and the Dr. Bizer's Value Vision doctor MEPS sent me to said I had to have a brain tumor. So I was denied, I battled with the Surgeon General of the Air Force and ultimately wrote my Congressman. I was in the process of applying to a junior college when I got the call from the recruiter. What would've happened if I said thanks but no thanks?

During Tech Training I was one of four offered to attend CATM school, I declined because I wanted to one day become K9 and went to Minot North Dakota instead. What could've happened?

Years later I put Kunsan ROK on my dream sheat and got orders there, I did this solely to stay overseas and not risk going back to a missile base. Didn't know that three years later I would marry someone I met while working.

My follow on assignment from Korea was Lajes with a follow on to Iceland. During my tour at Lajes, Iceland was closed so I put in for K9 instead of going somewhere else. If I didn't go K9 and head to Hurlburt would I have married the woman mentioned above?

Have any of you thought about how things have panned out during your career? Have any of you thought what if?
    Last edited by AFKILO7; 08-03-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Grammar

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: What If?

I think we wonder at times what would have happened if we did B instead of A. That’s the beauty of hindsight though. You think back, one little decision would have altered everything else. Sounds like the Butterfly Effect.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can say I could have done a lot worse had I made the other decision. Being ready and willing to take an opportunity is key. Going to a bad base (DUIs, etc) made me re-think becoming a 1st Sgt. I ended up cross-training and finding what I really enjoy doing.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Great topic...as Yogi Berra said "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."

Halfway through basic I was told I would be on AFI status for 6 months waiting for my original AFSC tech school, I chose a different AFSC (still in electronics).
    Tried to extend a second time at first assignment to complete more college to apply for ROTC, denied.
    Applied for instructor duty, denied.
    Applied for first term cross-training, got third choice...if cross-training didn't happen I was going to separate.
    Always wanted to go to Europe, got assignment to England...turned it down for a Green Door assignment.
    Offered Green Door extension, turned it down to return to regular AF.
    Applied again for instructor duty...approved this time.
    New MSgt, applied for First Sergeant duty...did not pass the Command Chief's screening panel.
    CMSgt-select..."warm" for assignment as a surplus Chief...volunteered/accepted for less than glamorous location...next cycle had 3 openings where I was before.
    Volunteered/accepted for short-notice overseas accompanied short...to get out of previously noted less than glamorous location.

Life is full of what-ifs, you never know for sure if what you choose (or is chosen for you) is really "the right thing". Talked with a lot of Airmen over the years who were pretty pi$$ed when they didn't get what they wanted...of course sometimes what you wanted may not have been right.

In 20-20 hindsight I would have to say everything worked out pretty darn good.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo432 View Post
    I can say I could have done a lot worse had I made the other decision. Being ready and willing to take an opportunity is key. Going to a bad base (DUIs, etc) made me re-think becoming a 1st Sgt. I ended up cross-training and finding what I really enjoy doing.
    I'm gonna guess gay stripper. If that is way off, my number 2 guess is gay prostitute.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I wanted to be an Enlisted Aerial Gunner but would have had to wait an extra year to go to basic. The guys at the MEPS station were very helpful and told me that since I liked guns I should be a Security Police.
    You wouldn’t believe how many times I cussed those guys out while walking a boundary sentry post.

Anyway, that whole “what if” examination of your life can be kind of unhealthy if you dwell on it too much.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I wanted to be an Enlisted Aerial Gunner but would have had to wait an extra year to go to basic. The guys at the MEPS station were very helpful and told me that since I liked guns I should be a Security Police.
    You wouldn’t believe how many times I cussed those guys out while walking a boundary sentry post.

Anyway, that whole “what if” examination of your life can be kind of unhealthy if you dwell on it too much.
    Oh man I was so happy when I was no longer posted walking the fence line! Months of working my butt off, and destroying my QC was worth it.

I will say that despite the policies and practices I don't agree with, I still love being in the Air Force. The opportunities I have been given have been positive. I'm thankful for the path I've taken in my career and I'm looking forward to what lies ahead.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VCO View Post
    I'm gonna guess gay stripper. If that is way off, my number 2 guess is gay prostitute.
    Everybody funny, now you funny too. (Lonesome George Thorogood)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Great topic...as Yogi Berra said "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."

Halfway through basic I was told I would be on AFI status for 6 months waiting for my original AFSC tech school, I chose a different AFSC (still in electronics).
    Tried to extend a second time at first assignment to complete more college to apply for ROTC, denied.
    Applied for instructor duty, denied.
    Applied for first term cross-training, got third choice...if cross-training didn't happen I was going to separate.
    Always wanted to go to Europe, got assignment to England...turned it down for a Green Door assignment.
    Offered Green Door extension, turned it down to return to regular AF.
    Applied again for instructor duty...approved this time.
    New MSgt, applied for First Sergeant duty...did not pass the Command Chief's screening panel.
    CMSgt-select..."warm" for assignment as a surplus Chief...volunteered/accepted for less than glamorous location...next cycle had 3 openings where I was before.
    Volunteered/accepted for short-notice overseas accompanied short...to get out of previously noted less than glamorous location.

Life is full of what-ifs, you never know for sure if what you choose (or is chosen for you) is really "the right thing". Talked with a lot of Airmen over the years who were pretty pi$$ed when they didn't get what they wanted...of course sometimes what you wanted may not have been right.

In 20-20 hindsight I would have to say everything worked out pretty darn good.
    Yogi Berra is a genius.

Green Door? Haven't heard that in a long time. We had a bunch of those secret squirrels at Eglin.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I was the only person in my tech school class to get an "overseas" assignment (Hickam). I often wonder if I would've gotten that assignment had I not left my stateside dream sheet blank. I literally put bases on my overseas list that I couldn't get.

I don't know if I would have stayed in had I gone to Barksdale or Scott.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Thread Information