Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Air Force fights back with Waist measurement stats

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force fights back with Waist measurement stats

Well, looks like the Air Force is responding to many of our comments. Here's the article published on AF.Mil. Of course, their statistics are total crap and I don't belive them for one second. AFFMS paints a much different picture.

Waist measurement failures non-factor for most Airmen

7/31/2013 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Recent comments on social media sites show there's a rumor among Airmen that the abdominal circumference component of the Fitness Assessment is where the largest majority of failures come from.

This opinion is wrong.

Since the Air Force has adopted the policy, which automatically fails Airmen with a larger than 39 inch waist (males) and 35.5 inch waist (females), the abdominal circumference measurement has led to the second least failures of the four components -- aerobic, push-ups, sit-ups, and abdominal circumference.

The numbers speak for themselves.

According to the Air Force Fitness, Promotion, and Evaluation Policy office:

--Since the implementation of the new PT test in October 2010, 1,277,825 Airmen have been evaluated.

--15,788 Airmen, who completed all four components, failed the waist measurement while also failing another component of the test.

--5,141 Airmen, who completed all four components, failed their waist measurement, while passing the other three components. Of those, 348 failed their waist measurement and passed the other three components with a composite score of 75.

So, what does this all mean? Out of the 30,714 Airmen who failed the waist measurement, 0.4 percent failed only that component.

Of those, 76 have been separated because of that failure, amounting to .006% of the 1,277,825 Airmen who have tested under the new Fitness Assessment.

Bottom line, numbers show that, as a whole, failures are on the decline.

In July 2010, the overall failure rate for the fitness assessment was 22.1 percent. As of June 2013, the failure has decreased to 4.9 percent.

"We've seen a notable increase in passing scores," said Col. Dawn Keasley, who works in the Air Force Military Force Management Division. "Airmen are clearly embracing a culture of fitness and that is a great thing for our Airmen, the Air Force, and the nation we protect and defend."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Air Force fights back with Waist measurement stats

And following that, a bunch of posts explaining the faults in this logic.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would like the stats on those who had to test waist only. Since your waist must be 1.5 inches smaller to pass waist only.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't have a problem with the waist measurement; what I have a problem with is the unscientific way it is measured. We're basing decisions on Airmen's careers based on individual application of the measurement; when 3 different people measure you and come up with 3 different measurements, varying by inches, there is a problem.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    I don't have a problem with the waist measurement; what I have a problem with is the unscientific way it is measured. We're basing decisions on Airmen's careers based on individual application of the measurement; when 3 different people measure you and come up with 3 different measurements, varying by inches, there is a problem.
    I agree. I have had a difference of inches from one day to the next. Another issue I have at least here... There are no courtesy tapes... This tells me there is a problem. The reasoning is they don't want to tape you at a 33.5 one day and then you go in for the test a week later and you get taped at a 36.5 or whatever. They will watch your sit ups or push ups and say they are correct...but they will not give you a courtesy tape. Seems like that in itself says they know there is a problem.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember back in the day there was a couple of special tapes used to try to eliminate differences. One would tear easily if pulled too tight (I think it came from the Navy), the second looked like a tape measure, you hooked the end back to the little plastic case, the spring tension then pulled the tape taught.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Clicked on the story, but no comments? Have they been deleted or am I doing something wrong?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by js7799 View Post
    Clicked on the story, but no comments? Have they been deleted or am I doing something wrong?
    Hit refresh

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

More propaganda from the AF. All complete lies just like most EPR/OPR's.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

No problem with the waist measurement...I just think the standards should be the same for all. Quit being easy on men and make them meet the 35.5 inches standard, just like women.

Thread Information