Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non-concur EPR

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Non-concur EPR

Anyone dealt with this before. Only saw it once in 20 years. On the verge of another one.

Supervisor pushing for a 4, CC wants it to be a 3 (there were some discipline issues, but member has recovered well).

The other incident did not turn out well. Similar scenario. Both rater and cc stuck to their guns. I applaud the rater for sticking but ended up costing his troop. Since the cc non-concurred, he had to comment why, which ended up making it a referral.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Non-concur EPR

Seens it a couple times. Sounds like your situation is a tough one... if the rater "sticks to their guns" they're actually going to "hurt" their troop more if the EPR ends up being a referral. Though it seems like that could be avoided; a statement of fact regarding the CC's assessment of the member's overall performance "only" being a 3 doesn't necessarily have to be a referral comment.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    Anyone dealt with this before. Only saw it once in 20 years. On the verge of another one.

Supervisor pushing for a 4, CC wants it to be a 3 (there were some discipline issues, but member has recovered well).

The other incident did not turn out well. Similar scenario. Both rater and cc stuck to their guns. I applaud the rater for sticking but ended up costing his troop. Since the cc non-concurred, he had to comment why, which ended up making it a referral.
    Rare that this happens, but the process is simple. If the CC non-concurs, he simply initials the Additional Rater's Rating block with a stroke of the pen. That becomes the EPR rating. It does not make it a referral unless the CC decides to include a derogatory comment. If so, then you must revert to the complicated process of using AF Form 77.
    Last edited by StandardsAMust; 08-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Seen probably 3-4. One the CC did not concur and his rating was higher than the raters or first endorser.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I had it happen once...for a higher rating. Ticked me right off. I had a huge trail of paperwork on this individual. Stuff like driving without insurance (x2), late to work, failure of CDCs, not paying bills, and some other stuff. CC threw out some of the paperwork because he didn't like how stern the wording was... SMH.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I worked with a SMSgt who stuck to his guns on a lower rating (for very good reasons), but the CC disagreed. I backed my SMSgt and respectfully told the CC to use the non-concur block. That's why it's there, yet we are many times brainwashed into believing we are not allowed to exercise our other legal, yet unpopular options.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Seens it a couple times. Sounds like your situation is a tough one... if the rater "sticks to their guns" they're actually going to "hurt" their troop more if the EPR ends up being a referral. Though it seems like that could be avoided; a statement of fact regarding the CC's assessment of the member's overall performance "only" being a 3 doesn't necessarily have to be a referral comment.
    I thought it could be avoided to, but AFI says you must be specific. Since the non-concur was mainly due to discipline, CC "had" to specifically say it. I will review again to make sure though.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    I had it happen once...for a higher rating. Ticked me right off. I had a huge trail of paperwork on this individual. Stuff like driving without insurance (x2), late to work, failure of CDCs, not paying bills, and some other stuff. CC threw out some of the paperwork because he didn't like how stern the wording was... SMH.
    Good thing is, I do not have to worry about that with current CC. Not once had he pushed for a higher marking or rating. At least half of the EPRs we question if the markings/ratings are too high. Working hard to minimize over-inflation.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I worked with a SMSgt who stuck to his guns on a lower rating (for very good reasons), but the CC disagreed. I backed my SMSgt and respectfully told the CC to use the non-concur block. That's why it's there, yet we are many times brainwashed into believing we are not allowed to exercise our other legal, yet unpopular options.
    All it takes is one good leader to support the raters right to mark what believes is right. Problem is most people are not willing to deal with the conflict.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    I thought it could be avoided to, but AFI says you must be specific. Since the non-concur was mainly due to discipline, CC "had" to specifically say it. I will review again to make sure though.
    Saying you disgree because the Airman had some challenges that were corrected isn't necessarily a referral statement. You could easily say the member had challenges meeting standards and required mentoring to improve performance and it not be a referral.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Thread Information