Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marriage in the military

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Marriage in the military

I really have to wonder what the divorce rate is in the military. Does it change if it is someone they knew from before they were in the military vs someone met while on AD? What plays a factor?

In my shop alone out of 9 people there are seven divorces. CRAZY
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Marriage in the military

Something like 3.5% for the entire military. Air Force is the highest of all branches with 3.9%. I will go ahead and be the first one to blame it on the PT test.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...1075741&rank=2
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglÚs con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en Úl reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    Something like 3.5% for the entire military. Air Force is the highest of all branches with 3.9%. I will go ahead and be the first one to blame it on the PT test.

Enlisted female soldiers and Marines, however, continue to experience the highest rate of divorce -- 9.4 percent and 9.3 percent respectively. In the Army, the female enlisted divorce rate is more than triple that of enlisted males. Still, those rates are down from the 2011 rates of 9.6 percent in Army and 9.8 percent in the Marine Corps.
    That's interesting.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't have the stats, but based on my own personal experience and observation, I would say the military is somewhat higher than the civilian world. I think one factor especially for younger, people is waving that extra pay/base housing carrot in front of them. That causes people to make bad decisions, like get married before they are ready or even really know each other. If they did away with the extra pay (keep single and married at the same rate) that may reduce marriages, then reduced divorces would surely follow.

Another factor I saw was the looooong (sarcastic) sepration people have from their high school sweethearts during basic training, so the feel they need to marry them to show they really love each other.

Third factor relating to the looooong (sarcasm again) basic training. Chances are half the folks are virgins anyway, and the other half may have been laid only once or twice, but feel they've gone 6-8 whole weeks without "it" so they have to marry the first piece of ass they get after BMT.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This is interesting also:
    Preliminary Results
    Preliminary analyses for all three stages of the project have been completed.
    Linear probability analyses of the entire military population 1995-2002 indicates that
    compared to comparable civilians, military men and women are more likely to get
    married, and that military men are less likely to get divorced while serving in the
    military. Relative to comparable civilians, military women are more likely to get
    divorced. However, upon exiting the military, both veteran men and women have higher
    rates of divorce than comparable civilians
    , as indicted in the NLSY-79 using fixed effects
    models. Taken together, these findings suggest that the military provides incentives to
    marry (for men and women) and remain married (for men), but that once the
    servicemembers return to civilian life and these incentives are absent, they suffer higher
    rates of marital dissolution than comparable civilians. This suggests that the military may
    encourage unions that would not normally be formalized into marriage in a civilian
    context, and are consequently more fragile upon exit from the military.
    http://paa2008.princeton.edu/papers/81696
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglÚs con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en Úl reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I used to be surprised by divorces in the Air Force, but now it is just common-place. I have friends who bring up talks about divorce before their first anniversary. I always tell them the same thing: the first couple of years will be the most trying. My wife and I have been together since 2002, I enlisted in 2006, and we married in 2007. Even with us being together for 5 years, the first year was pretty turbulent. It was a whole new way of life for the both of us. We were both home sick. I wasn't used to being in the Air Force yet. And shift work took its toll. But we stuck it out! We took our oath (to each other) seriously. I think there are way too many people, especially from my generation, that have no goddamn convictions.

Shit happens, I get it. But I see people resorting to divorce at the drop of a hat. I know several females in the military who have been married at least 3 times. Not to single women out, just my observation. In fact, one girl I was in training with in 2010 had been in the Air Force for less than three years and had to change her name 3 separate times (her ex-husband was actually in the course with us, which made it awkward). But less than a year after that, she had re-married and divorced yet again.

Even today, a "co-worker" made a comment about how I shouldn't apply my morals to other people. I had to explain, because it wasn't getting through to him, that I think there is a general responsibility to take your vowels seriously. Not for you, but for your partner. I just don't see why this isn't common perception. And in all honesty, it makes me sad.
    Last edited by jshiver15; 08-01-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: ** Considered editing out "vowels" but it's just too funny to me. So, I bolded it instead. **
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If the military wanted you to have a family, it would have issued it to ya. I almost believe this mentality and I am on my second marriage.

Now that we're attacking religion left and right and homosexuals can join the military, I think it's just time that the government as a whole drops the whole marriage thing. Be together or not...have multiple partners...it's all irrelevant.

Marriage is a religious practice anyways.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    If the military wanted you to have a family, it would have issued it to ya. I almost believe this mentality and I am on my second marriage.

Now that we're attacking religion left and right and homosexuals can join the military, I think it's just time that the government as a whole drops the whole marriage thing. Be together or not...have multiple partners...it's all irrelevant.

Marriage is a religious practice anyways.
    Have to disagree. I'm not at all religious and I believe in marriage. I view it as a legal bond to another person.

Not only that, it helps provide any cushion for her and my son in the event that something happens to me.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post

When I first saw your 3.5% statistic I was like, "No freaking way it's that's low."

After reading the article, I realized that rate is for the number of people that got divorced for just that year . So if you look at it as 3.5% of the military population get divorced each year, and the entire population stays in for an overall average of 10 years (I'm just throwing that number out there), then you're looking at 35% overall # of personnel who have been divorced at some time during their career in the military. No way to hammer down the actual number due to how much turnover there is, but I'd say easily 35% if not closer to 50% (isn't that the statistic you always hear about America? 50% of all marriages end in divorce.)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    Have to disagree. I'm not at all religious and I believe in marriage. I view it as a legal bond to another person.

Not only that, it helps provide any cushion for her and my son in the event that something happens to me.
    I agree, neither my wife or I are religious. I believe in the institution of marriage (and some should be institutionalized), plus it shows my commitment to her.
    I don't know the true origins, but marriage probably stems from religion. We'll have to get Rusty to chime in since he knows something about everything.

Thread Information