Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Advice to new Airmen

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Advice to new Airmen

Often times running around town on weekends or on Thursday and Fridays after work I run into brand new airmen and their families. Normally I just say congrats and move on. A few times I have been asked questions about active duty. This past weekend I was asked by a father what the best advice I had for their son was. I told him....Don't break the law. Know the difference between a crime and a mistake. And last but not least....stay in shape.

What would you add?
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Advice to new Airmen

1. Get your education
    2. Invest/Save some money
    3. Marry wisely

Not necessarily in that order.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can think of some things..
    1. Learn how to manage your time and your money.
    2. Stay away from drugs and watch how much you drink. And NEVER drink and drive.
    3. Always try to do the right thing.
    4. It's a one-mistake Air Force, unfortunately.
    5. Don't be in a hurry to get married. And if you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.
    6. Come with honor, serve with honor. If you find the AF isn't for you, just do your time and leave with honor.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Good stuff
    I always told my Airmen, and my own kids, that those were the 3 most important decisions in their life.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Shut your mouth and open your ears.
    Be humble.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Often times running around town on weekends or on Thursday and Fridays after work I run into brand new airmen and their families. Normally I just say congrats and move on. A few times I have been asked questions about active duty. This past weekend I was asked by a father what the best advice I had for their son was. I told him....Don't break the law. Know the difference between a crime and a mistake. And last but not least....stay in shape.

What would you add?
    Do only four and not a day more.
    Take on no financial obligations you can't pay off by the THREE year point (just in case of a rollback).
    Pick a skill that is marketable in civilian life.
    Take your experience and GI Bill, use your education benefits, don't look back.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My list of things to tell them:

1. Your young but that doesn't mean you have to get married right away. Take time to learn about life.
    2. Don't do stupid things. If you don't know doing something is wrong or right then then answer this question: "If what you did was printed in the paper or on TV, would you be proud or embarrassed of what you did?" If you're embarrassed then chance are it's the wrong thing.
    3. Save your money. You don't have to have the newest items. A new car becomes a used car the second you drive it off the dealer's lot. Early in your career, you'll be moving more often so buy durable items or used items. Save the luxury items for later in life. Don't try to keep up with what your friends have. Buy only what you really need.
    4. Learn to invest. You have decades ahead of yourself to build your wealth and the earlier you start the more you'll likely have when you need it.
    5. Take every opportunity to learn your job. Take advantage of any additional training, schools, etc. to gain experience. Listen and learn from those above you who have learned the jobs that you are now learning.
    6. Promote yourself out of your job. Do an outstanding job so when a better position opens you'll be considered for it.
    7. Learn how the promotion system works. Do wait until a couple of months before testing to start studying. Begin a year before your scheduled test date.
    8. Don't be afraid of being nominated for awards. Winning awards throughout your career will aid you later in consideration for special assignments and promotion to the SNCO ranks later in your career.
    9. Prepare yourself for leaving the military. Take college courses and complete your degree(s) for the career you want in civilian life.
    10. Remember, no matter how bad it may get, there will be more positive memories of your service than negative memories.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

1. Be prepared to become part of a team.
    2. Listen to your trainers and instructors. Whatever career you have will stand on that foundation. Know it, Apply it.
    3. Learn how to do your job before you move on to anything else. College money is great but if you don't pass the CDC's, it won't matter.
    4. Don't blow your credit early. Enjoy the dorm, get a beater if you need a car.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SENDBILLMONEY View Post
    Do only four and not a day more.
    Take on no financial obligations you can't pay off by the THREE year point (just in case of a rollback).
    Pick a skill that is marketable in civilian life.
    Take your experience and GI Bill, use your education benefits, don't look back.
    Do NOT get married, do NOT get a woman pregnant, and if you can... avoid getting into ANY serious relationship.

Contribute a significant amount of money to TSP. Had I not married my first wife, I'd have saved up enough money to buy a mobile home and furnish it - that way, even IF all I could get was a job at McDonald's, I'd still be okay.

Make E5 before you get out. Believe it or not, many employers are aware that this is the paygrade where supervisory experience begins. If you get out without having made E5, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Take all the CLEP/DSST exams that you can while you're in. They take as little as two weeks to study for; and all you need is an old edition of textbook for the subject of the exam that you're studying for. You can get them off of Amazon for as cheap five bucks. CLEP/DSST exams don't count against your TA for the year, and they don't count against your GI Bill.

That said... finish your degree before you get out. If you do your CLEP and DSST exams, you can finish well before your ETS. You've heard it many times before: the bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Do NOT get married to your tech school sweetheart. Knockout your CDC's ASAP, then school. Learn your job and don't take shortcuts.

Thread Information