Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JBER: Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thumbs down JBER: Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website

I am all for neutrally but think this instance is maybe going too far.

If you read the article, it's more of a history point and then mentions various types of faith, religious and secular.

It was the 'Chaplin's corner' of the website at that; it's like driving by the chapel on base...you don't have to go inside. Surfing the website...you don't have to go the Chaplin's corner and read if you don't want to.

It's not like it was a mandatory official function where an atheist or agnostic was forced to listen to a prayer...

So, I wonder if the the 673 ABW Commander will be banning all official function prayers?

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...y-website.html
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: JBER: Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website

Just amazing. Glad I'm long retired. I'm not much for religion but I certainly believe in God. I see no reason outside of "political correctness" to have removed what the chaplain wrote. He wasn't trying to proselytize.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: JBER: Chaplain Ordered to Remove Religious Essay From Military Website

No athiests in foxholes, huh? I have to have "faith", huh?

I'll keep that in mind for my next deployment tasking. I don't think I qualify to go if this is the case.

In all seriousness, when reading the article it was a combination of history lesson and also a bit of prolysetizing too. If he'd said it during a sermon, that's no big deal. But the fact it was on the base's website was the issue, it implies official endorsement. I think it would be acceptable if noted as an opinion column, maybe, but not as a regular article.

Having said that, I'm 1000X more irritated any every official function I attend having a prayer in front of it. It's so much fun standing there, head held high, and then getting the stink eye from your group CC for it. Sigh.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Having said that, I'm 1000X more irritated any every official function I attend having a prayer in front of it. It's so much fun standing there, head held high, and then getting the stink eye from your group CC for it. Sigh.
    He must not be that religious if he's looking around too

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    He must not be that religious if he's looking around too
    I think it was more noticable since I was in the front row. I certianly wasn't making anything of it. But I refuse to bow my head.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

No, no, no...the problem wasn't that the Chaplain wrote a religious article in his corner.

It appears the problem was the title "No atheists in foxholes"...that's not just talking about your religion, but it's a put-down of atheism.

Just like it might be appropriate for someone to pen an article on "The wonders of science"...but might be inapprorpiate to title it "Christianity is useless: The wonders of Science" Or "No Christians in heaven: Allah and the servicemember"...or "Faith isn't real: the convenience of believing in God"

Honestly, this wouldn't bother me much, but the responses from the religiously affiliated groups does tick me off a little.

Like this:

“To say ‘everyone has faith’ is correct,” Crews said. “For Weinstein to say, ‘I do not have faith’ must mean he has never flown because to step in an airplane is to have faith in a pilot’s ability and faith that mechanics have properly maintained the plane.”
    I don't think any atheist claims to not have faith in anything...they just don't believe in God. Why do these clowns think it's some kind of hypocrisy for an atheist to put their trust, and yes faith, in something else...such as the training of a pilot, or the physics of flight that have been proven effective?

and this:

Gen. Jerry Boykin (Ret.) told Fox News the action taken by the Air Force is “discrimination against Christians.”

He said the “climate of intimidation within the Air Force has worsened to such an extend that even chaplains now fear carrying out the most basic duties of their job.”

“In this case, a chaplain has been censored for expressing his beliefs about the role of faith in the lives of service members,” said Boykin, executive vice president of the Family Research Council. “There has to be a recognition that this is discrimination against Christians. Chaplains are placed there for a purpose. Why do we have chaplains if they aren’t allowed to fulfill that purpose? When anti-Christian activists like Mikey Weinstein are dictating the rules for what chaplains are allowed to do, then why we must ask the question why we have chaplains?”
    For some reason, this guy always thinks that not being able to denigrate other beliefs and spout yours as the one true religion is some kind of discrimination.

The chaplain hasn't been censored for expressing his beliefs about the role of faith...he was censored for denigrating the beliefs of servicemembers.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    No, no, no...the problem wasn't that the Chaplain wrote a religious article in his corner.

It appears the problem was the title "No atheists in foxholes"...that's not just talking about your religion, but it's a put-down of atheism.
    So...if you were going to write an essay regarding the historical roots of the saying "Nits make lice" you would be forbidden from using it in the title of your article because it would be offensive?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    So...if you were going to write an essay regarding the historical roots of the saying "Nits make lice" you would be forbidden from using it in the title of your article because it would be offensive?
    If there are any nits in my unit, maybe.

Look, I get the point the chaplain was trying to make...but to say he is being censored for talking about the role of faith is untrue. He was censored for repeating a historical phrase that is inaccurate and somewhat denigrating.

Just because it might be historically accurate and rooted to say "Irish need not apply"...doesn't mean it's appropriate to use today if you want to explain the values and virtues of your English heritage.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I think you are right; it's the title at issue. And it's not a put down - it was a historical reference and in context historically it was not putting down non-believers, which you learn reading the article. I think the people that 'complained' probably never read the article. They saw the headline and went nuts, like most people do with headlines.

I think they removed the entire "Chaplin's Corner" not just the article because I cannot find this 'corner' on the JBER website.
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    I think you are right, it's the title at issue. And it's not a put down - it was a historical reference, which you learn reading the article. I think the people that 'complained' probably never read the article. They saw the headline and went nuts, like most people do with headlines.

I think they removed the entire "Chaplin's Corner" not just the article because I cannot find this 'corner' on the JBER website.
    Yes, his article is actually pretty non-committal in questioning whether it is the faith itself that helps people or the object of their faith...

Thread Information