Thread: No more redundant inspections

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default No more redundant inspections

From AF news: 7/24/2013 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The Air Force recently implemented a new inspection system, aimed at giving more power to wing commanders.

With the signing of Program Action Directive 13-01, Air Force inspection system Implementation Tiger Team transitions from the planning phase to the execution phase.

The program, which was beta tested by United States Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa, aims at empowering wing commanders to run their wing's inspection system. By doing this, each commander will be able to focus on improving mission effectiveness every day, balancing resources and risks without the wasteful peaks and valleys of preparing for inspections. The goal of the new system is to make inspections a nonevent, part of the daily battle rhythm of continuous improvement.

With the new AFIS, it "rebalances authority from functional staffs to commanders," said Col. Robert Hyde, the Air Force Director of Inspections. "(It) enables commanders to focus on mission readiness, not inspection readiness."

As the Air Force continues to be shaped leaner, the importance of eliminating waste, and increasing efficiency is at an all-time high. As the new AFIS is implemented and evolves, senior Air Force leaders are confident the program will reduce manhours significantly.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Thoughts?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: No more redundant inspections

This doesn't get rid of redundant inspections. It, in theory, gets rid of 'inspection prep.'

The same thing that no-notice inspections would have done. And that policy change would not have cost the Air Force millions of dollars the "tiger teams" wasted. But hey, being on a tiger team makes for a good EPR/OPR bullet.

The wing rating itself...like the fox guarding the hen house. Before this program came out; there existed a self-inspection program. We could not even get people to do that honestly, whether due to ignorance or willful lying is debatable.

Compliance is not just an issue of people following AFI's. AFI's are such moving targets now days, one never knows what really is the standard anymore. I recently saw a wing IG team inspect units on a base. They were writing up units for not complying with AFI's that just came out (major changes) a couple weeks prior. Talk about stupidity.

Inspection prep is still happening.
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I believe inspectioin prep actually does make us better.

It prioritizes things you don't have time for day in and day out...so you make time for them once in awhile. If not for inspections, that back closet would never get cleaned out.

That being said...this idea will make my job a LOT easier.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Here we go again...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I predict this being implimented until we see another incident where a B-52 flies across the country without the aircrew realizing they are carrying live nukes, etc.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

oh no, what is the Department of Redundant Inspection Department going to do with all their free time?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Integrity First...guess this will be the test. MAJCOMs, NAFs (talk about redundancy and uselessness), Wing, Group, Squadron COMMANDERS need to have the stones, the backbone to permit, allow, even encourage their Airmen to honestly perform these inspections. Yes, there should be some sort of tracking program, yes units need to have a get-well plan in place, but the downside will be the arbitrary pressure applied to a unit to be 100% compliant. In all honesty, any unit that self reports higher than 80% would be suspect in my mind.

Back in the SAC days, we had a self inspection program. As a new E4 Buck Sergeant I was given the duty of the unit operations analyst. I ran the checklist and identified 2 items that were my responsibility that I was not trained to do (unusual, rare tasks that are only performed when new radars are installed or after overhaul, etc.) Anyway, I wrote myself up. About 2 months later, HQ came out for their annual inspection/visit. Looking over my self-inspection the MSgt noted that I had written myself up...He asked why I would do that...I answered because it was the right thing to do. I had since gotten training on those tasks and was fully qualified. I could have pencil whipped the inspection form, gotten the training and no one would have been the wiser.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I wonder if the recent Malmstrom inspection will make any difference?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Want to get rid of inspection prep and get a better picture of an organization's day to day capability? Just show up. No notice inspections need to return.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Thread Information