Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Awards and Decs

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Awards and Decs

Do you agree with the idea that if an Airman messes up once in their time on station they don't get an award/dec? Now I am not talking about DUI, drugs, or any of that... But one failed room inspection, one failed PT test, one financial irresponsibility issue.. Do you think this should preclude them from an award? Or if they have shown that the issue is never going to happen again and they have learned from their mistake and become stellar...should they still get an award?
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Awards and Decs

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Do you agree with the idea that if an Airman messes up once in their time on station they don't get an award/dec? Now I am not talking about DUI, drugs, or any of that... But one failed room inspection, one failed PT test, one financial irresponsibility issue.. Do you think this should preclude them from an award? Or if they have shown that the issue is never going to happen again and they have learned from their mistake and become stellar...should they still get an award?
    I disagree with the whole concept of getting a dec because you are PCS'ing in the first place.

At the same time, a mishap shouldn't necessarily prevent someone from getting a dec. A dec should be for a specific action...something stellar...not for just doing your job and staying out of trouble. Staying out of trouble is what the Good Conduct Medal is for.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

On the awards.....I went to bat for one of my Airmen for a quarterly award. Her package shined FAR ABOVE the others being considered. She had been kicking some a$$ and without her we wouldn't have been able to pull off some of the miracles at the end of fiscal year that we pulled off. Well, the SQ Supt and CC both said, "You know about the off-base DUI she got a couple years ago, right?" My response was, "WTH does that have to do with her performance THIS QUARTER?!" It's not like it had just happened recently, it was two years before my submission.

Anyway, I fought it and after about 5 minutes they actually weren't able to argue with my logic and agreed. One of the points I made was that we all make mistakes in our life, and the AF at the time decided not to boot her out because of it (it was off base in her home town while on leave and handled by civilian authorities). So since the "powers that be" decided she could stay in and still be a productive member of the AF and our mission, how much longer were they going to hold it against her? I pointed out that we shouldn't keep kicking our troops while they're down. I've seen it happen way too many times in the past and that just leads to them under-performing or, even worse yet, going out and getting in more trouble because they figure, "WTF....not like it's going to make things much worse than they already are."

She got the award. And you know what? She started working even harder after that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Always a case by case situation. Timing is key, if the one incident happened early in tour, member has had time to demonstrate that it was a one-off. Same incident happens two months prior to PCS...it's aw$hit time.
    You will always face a battle, fighting for your Airmen. And as Class5Kayaker demonstrated, sometimes you win. When you do fight for your people, you do run the risk of them stepping on their wanger a second time, now your reputation is $hit. But, that is what being a good supervisor is all about, trying to do the best thing for your Airmen.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD View Post
    You think that because you do not know or understand how Decs work, so allow me to educate you.

Dec's can be given for outstanding achievement or meritorious service. You're welcome.
    No, I just don't buy into/believe in the everyone gets a trophy mindset.

For just doing your job and staying out of trouble you get a paycheck, education benefits, health care benefits, a 5 EPR (you don't even have to do your job to get that), and a good conduct medal.

It's all about feelings today...got to make everyone feel good.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker View Post
    I pointed out that we shouldn't keep kicking our troops while they're down. I've seen it happen way too many times in the past and that just leads to them under-performing or, even worse yet, going out and getting in more trouble because they figure, "WTF....not like it's going to make things much worse than they already are."

She got the award. And you know what? She started working even harder after that.
    Yep. And yet it happens all the time.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD View Post
    You think that because you do not know or understand how Decs work, so allow me to educate you.

Dec's can be given for outstanding achievement or meritorious service. You're welcome.
    No you're the one who doesn't understand how decs work. Look up outstanding & meritorious.

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    No, I just don't buy into/believe in the everyone gets a trophy mindset.

For just doing your job and staying out of trouble you get a paycheck, education benefits, health care benefits, a 5 EPR (you don't even have to do your job to get that), and a good conduct medal.

It's all about feelings today...got to make everyone feel good.
    Amen! Just like firewall 5s, everyone expects them for showing up and punching the clock.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

No one is perfect and each package should be considered on its individual merits. Obviously receny matters; hard to sell a person when they're recently had issues, but if they made a mistake and overcame it and have performed at the level worth of a decoration after that, then their hard work should be recognized.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This is a problem that runs parallel with the EPR issue. Until the command structure is willing to address the unwritten policies and arbitrary rules that accompany the Awards and Decorations program alongside the EPR issue, neither program will ever get fixed. EPRs will stay inflated so the great and above average performers don’t “get screwed” out of decorations or points that the slack asses will be getting.

Everyone talks about EPRs, but no one talks about how Awards and Decs need to be addressed concurrently with them.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My opinion: If the achievements as written on the citation are worthy of a particular decoration, the member should receive that decoration. It's ridiculous to have situations where two airmen might achieve the same things (outstanding achievement, act of heroism, etc), but only Airman A gets a medal because his past is blemish-free and Airman B's isn't.

Ever hear of Staff Sergeant Maynard H. "Snuffy" Smith? He was called from KP duty in order to receive his Medal of Honor. He had been assigned to KP because he arrived late to a briefing that week. To me, THAT is how the "whole person concept" should work. Smith's success and his failure were each given appropriate attention and recognition by leadership. I don't think that happens today. Big Blue will instead recognize a lapse over and over, using it to justify withholding recognition of successes.

Thread Information