Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vot Bars Pentagon from Providing Enlistement Waivers to Rapists

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Vot Bars Pentagon from Providing Enlistement Waivers to Rapists

"The House voted Tuesday to prevent anyone convicted of a sex crime from enlisting in the military, this time by using the power of the purse.

The Defense Department already moved in March to prohibit anyone convicted of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault or incest from entering the military, but Marine Corps veteran Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., convinced the House to go one step further during debate on the $512.4 billion defense appropriations bill for fiscal 2014. Kline’s amendment, passed by voice vote, prohibits any military funds from being spent to waive the restrictions to allow any exceptions to the policy.

House and Senate versions of separate 2014 defense authorization bill, which includes policy matters, contain provisions that would put current Pentagon policy barring enlistment of anyone convicted of sexual crimes into law. Whether any waivers would be possible depends on the legislative language that is signed into law.

“This is a serious issue,” said Kline, whose wife, Vicky, is a retired Army nurse and whose son served three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. “The number of sexual assault victims in the military is unacceptable and I remain committed to preventing potential predators from joining our ranks.”

Before passage of Kline’s amendment, the funding bill already included provisions aimed at improving sexual assault prevention programs. In the report accounting the bill, the House Appropriations Committee says it is “outraged by the pervasive problem of sexual assault in the Armed Forces. Sexual assault is not just an issue in the military; it is an epidemic.”

The committee called for a “culture change at every level of the military, from the most senior leadership to the most junior ranks,” to attack the problem.

While the Obama administration has been at odds with the Republican-controlled House of Representatives on appropriations bills, a July 22 statement of administration policy on the defense funding bill says it “appreciates the support of the committee in working to eliminate the threat that sexual assault in the military presents to our service members and our national security.”

Rep. Eric Paulsen, R-Minn., a copsonsor of Kline’s amendment, called restricting funds to keep convicted rapists out of the military “another step forward in combating assault in the military.”

“It is time to change the military’s culture of inaction when addressing sexual assaults,” Paulsen said."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...aivers-rapists

Okay, I'm all for not letting convicted sexual predators in...but I do wonder if this was really a problem before? How many of these waivers were ever granted to begin with?
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Vot Bars Pentagon from Providing Enlistement Waivers to Rapists

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Okay, I'm all for not letting convicted sexual predators in...but I do wonder if this was really a problem before? How many of these waivers were ever granted to begin with?
    That a vote was required to make this the rule speaks of a deeper problem.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"The House voted Tuesday to prevent anyone convicted of a sex crime from enlisting in the military, this time by using the power of the purse.

The Defense Department already moved in March to prohibit anyone convicted of rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault or incest from entering the military, but Marine Corps veteran Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., convinced the House to go one step further during debate on the $512.4 billion defense appropriations bill for fiscal 2014. Kline’s amendment, passed by voice vote, prohibits any military funds from being spent to waive the restrictions to allow any exceptions to the policy.

House and Senate versions of separate 2014 defense authorization bill, which includes policy matters, contain provisions that would put current Pentagon policy barring enlistment of anyone convicted of sexual crimes into law. Whether any waivers would be possible depends on the legislative language that is signed into law.

“This is a serious issue,” said Kline, whose wife, Vicky, is a retired Army nurse and whose son served three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. “The number of sexual assault victims in the military is unacceptable and I remain committed to preventing potential predators from joining our ranks.”

Before passage of Kline’s amendment, the funding bill already included provisions aimed at improving sexual assault prevention programs. In the report accounting the bill, the House Appropriations Committee says it is “outraged by the pervasive problem of sexual assault in the Armed Forces. Sexual assault is not just an issue in the military; it is an epidemic.”

The committee called for a “culture change at every level of the military, from the most senior leadership to the most junior ranks,” to attack the problem.

While the Obama administration has been at odds with the Republican-controlled House of Representatives on appropriations bills, a July 22 statement of administration policy on the defense funding bill says it “appreciates the support of the committee in working to eliminate the threat that sexual assault in the military presents to our service members and our national security.”

Rep. Eric Paulsen, R-Minn., a copsonsor of Kline’s amendment, called restricting funds to keep convicted rapists out of the military “another step forward in combating assault in the military.”

“It is time to change the military’s culture of inaction when addressing sexual assaults,” Paulsen said."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...aivers-rapists

Enlisting? Is that a blanket that involves "O"s too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The criteria for officer selection is much more strict than for enlisting. I would be extremely shocked if a convicted rapist was ever allowed to commission since 1970.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    The criteria for officer selection is much more strict than for enlisting. I would be extremely shocked if a convicted rapist was ever allowed to commission since 1870.
    Fixed it for you.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Fixed it for you.
    Perhaps... but the Vietnam era was not good for accessions of any kind.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Perhaps... but the Vietnam era was not good for accessions of any kind.
    Fair point. But again, I have to wonder just how many enlisted were allowed in after that time too?
    Last edited by technomage1; 07-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The criteria for officer selection is much more strict than for enlisting. I would be extremely shocked if a convicted rapist was ever allowed to commission since 1970.
    They usually wait a few years before they commit sex crimes.
    Never. Let there be no misunderstanding...I am the master baiter around here. --BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    They usually wait a few years before they commit sex crimes.
    I don't understand. Do you mean that they enter the service and then commit sex crimes?
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Same bullshit overreaction..... What do you expect? What is the result? Now somone that turned 18 and was still bumpin uglies with their 16/17 YO girlfriend will no longer be allowed to join the military.

An honest to goodness rapist? Never heard of one getting in. The only exception that I know of for any sex offender was for a situation similar to the one described above. So in a decade of recruiting, I have heard of such a thing being waived ONCE...

Bullshit. An officer applicant can have snorted Cocaine and still be eligible. That is a PDQ on the E-side.
    Last edited by Pullinteeth; 07-25-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Thread Information