Thread: Trying to figure out life

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Trying to figure out life

I am 24 year old female. I graduated in December with a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and a Bachelors in Spanish. I feel very stuck in life right now. I have been debating joining the Air Force for a few months now. I also have friends who have recommended I join the Air Guard. I know I want to do something better with my life than what I am doing now. I just am so lost on what exactly that should be. I know no one single person can tell me the right answer, just general advice on the Air Force and Guard would be so helpful. Its hard listening to close friends because some are biased as to what I do and where I might go. Which I have no problem leaving the town I am in. I would prefer actually to move. Very much so.
    Any help would be so much appreciated.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Trying to figure out life

If you want to stay in one place, join the guard; doesn't mean you have to join the NV guard and stay there, if there is somewhere else you'd rather be. If you want to travel, join the Air Force.

Been doing this for 28 years and I'd do it all over again. My daughter followed my footsteps and joined the Air Force, so she must have loved the life too.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Join the Reserve instead.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Join the Army, become an MP, and have duty in a couple of third world countries. Put those degrees to good use.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bbyington View Post
    I am 24 year old female. I graduated in December with a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and a Bachelors in Spanish. I feel very stuck in life right now. I have been debating joining the Air Force for a few months now. I also have friends who have recommended I join the Air Guard. I know I want to do something better with my life than what I am doing now. I just am so lost on what exactly that should be. I know no one single person can tell me the right answer, just general advice on the Air Force and Guard would be so helpful. Its hard listening to close friends because some are biased as to what I do and where I might go. Which I have no problem leaving the town I am in. I would prefer actually to move. Very much so.
    You're going to have to sit down and have a good discussion with yourself as to what you want out of life and how you'll achieve it. Assess and evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and what you can offer the Air Force or any potential employer. The military isn't a life for everyone. The military imposes discipline upon the individual and the level of imposed discipline varies in each branch of the military. You'll have to remember, what you want is secondary to what the military wants or needs. If you're unwilling to put your needs aside for the military then I suggest you search for a life outside the military. If you can put the military first and can work as a team member and/or leader then a military career might be a good choice. It's really about what you want to do and what you're willing to do to attain it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bbyington View Post
    Don't get too wrapped around the idea that joining the military is a "whole life" proposition.

It doesn't have to be. So, you join up for 4 or 6 years...get to see some things you never would otherwise, gain some valuable experience, training, etc. It's not the end of your life as you know it. Believe it or not, when you join the AF...you're still you.

And having done your service to your country will be something you can be proud about for the rest of your life...whether you do 4 or 30 years. You can stand when they ask, "Who among us are veterans?"

Good luck.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't join shit if you're nothing but confused. You'll find yourself hating life after joining for the wrong reasons. If you were to join the military, you have to ask yourself what you want out of it. If your only answer is away out, then joining during budget cuts could possibly do you more harm than good (years of hard work only to get the boot type of shit).
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Thread Information