Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vectoring for E-8

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Vectoring for E-8

OK, so does anyone have an AFI reference for vectoring for SMSgts? I know this program was approved back in 2010 under the Enlisted Force Development initiative? I am wondering if it's mandatory for all senior leaders? I was told recently that some other SMSgts at my base (same AFSC but at MAJCOM) were not vectored (is this even a word outside the AF?) but the squadron level SMSgts were.

Now, I am relatively new SMSgt so for those who might wonder what vectoring is, I know the basics. Your Commander with your Chief's and your assistance fill out a sheet that lists you qualifications, special experience identifiers etc. From what I understand, it helps functional mangers rack and stack the right person for the right jobs regardless of time on station. Normally (according to the AFI anyway), taking away vol or non-vol status, the member with the most time on station is the most eligible for a PCS. However with vectoring, if you have certain qualifications but less time on station than another person of the same rank/AFSC, your vector may trump AFI requirements for who should PCS first. The problem I have is what I stated above: if vectoring is not mandatory for ALL personnel, then the results are skewed. All commanders or MAJCOM functional managers have to do if they want to retain one person over another at the base is to not vector the person they want to keep. Kind of like a "Good-ole-Boy" system. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Vectoring for E-8

Every time someone says "vector", God kills a puppy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    OK, so does anyone have an AFI reference for vectoring for SMSgts? I know this program was approved back in 2010 under the Enlisted Force Development initiative? I am wondering if it's mandatory for all senior leaders? I was told recently that some other SMSgts at my base (same AFSC but at MAJCOM) were not vectored (is this even a word outside the AF?) but the squadron level SMSgts were.

Now, I am relatively new SMSgt so for those who might wonder what vectoring is, I know the basics. Your Commander with your Chief's and your assistance fill out a sheet that lists you qualifications, special experience identifiers etc. From what I understand, it helps functional mangers rack and stack the right person for the right jobs regardless of time on station. Normally (according to the AFI anyway), taking away vol or non-vol status, the member with the most time on station is the most eligible for a PCS. However with vectoring, if you have certain qualifications but less time on station than another person of the same rank/AFSC, your vector may trump AFI requirements for who should PCS first. The problem I have is what I stated above: if vectoring is not mandatory for ALL personnel, then the results are skewed. All commanders or MAJCOM functional managers have to do if they want to retain one person over another at the base is to not vector the person they want to keep. Kind of like a "Good-ole-Boy" system. Anyone have thoughts on this?
    I retired just over a year ago and things may have changed but I know TOS trumped everything in my AFSC. If you were there longest you PCS'd and if you didn't like it you dropped paperwork. As I was getting out "Vectoring" was something CMSAF Roy was trying to do but I haven't heard anybody really affected by it and I keep up with many of my old peers. Many have PCS'd due to the simple TOS rule.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The vectors aren't much better at the field-grade level, in my experience. I got vectored to some COCOMs that actually made sense, but did the assignment team send me there? No, they did not, even though it was what I wanted *AND* what the development team thought I should do.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We're one of the career fields doing it... it was opening up to more, but with the budget I think they've scaled back to it only being done for nuc-related AFSCs.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sounds like a forced mentorship but can see how it could be abused. It can help those being groomed for the next stripe or to keep someone from getting the needed experience.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    We're one of the career fields doing it... it was opening up to more, but with the budget I think they've scaled back to it only being done for nuc-related AFSCs.
    2W1's are also doing it, I received an email earlier this year about it. However I refuse to participate in such a dumb sounding program. Also I don't put much stock into what Chief Roy says he's going to do anymore, not after he said he was going to seriously evaluate the PT and EPR programs by July....looks like he only has a week left.
    Last edited by WeaponsTSGT; 07-24-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    Never. Let there be no misunderstanding...I am the master baiter around here. --BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    I don't put much stock into what Chief Roy says he's going to do anymore.
    Nice to see our Weapons Troops are keep abreast of the fast paced changes within the AF. Good work.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

2W1's are also doing it, I received an email earlier this year about it. However I refuse to participate in such a dumb sounding program. Also I don't put much stock into what Chief Roy says he's going to do anymore, not after he said he was going to seriously evaluate the PT and EPR programs by July....looks like he only has a week left.
    I'm pretty sure none of your chiefs give a ____ if you want to participate. Those are the easiest records to do... "needs of the Air Force" and move on to the next one.

And Chief CODY said he was going to take a 6-month look at the programs in Feb, which if you use two hands to count the number of months, you'll that ends in August...

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Nice to see our Weapons Troops are keep abreast of the fast paced changes within the AF. Good work.
    Right
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Also I don't put much stock into what Chief Roy says he's going to do anymore, not after he said he was going to seriously evaluate the PT and EPR programs by July....looks like he only has a week left.
    In other news, CSAF Gen. John Jumper has issued a new policy concerning sexual assault in the Air Force.

SECDEF McNamara has said that civilian furloughs will continue through the end of the year even as the punitive expedition against the Mexican terrorist Pancho Villa intensifies.

Today, SAC commander Curtis LeMay was unavailable for comment in regards to recent Soviet bomber flyovers above Cleveland, though sources within the Clinton administration point to the recent tensions surrounding the shooting of Rodney King by neighborhood watchman Timothy McVeigh in Sanford, FL, as a possible motive. The Clinton administration is seeking a review of the United States' Stand Your Ground Law in regards to nuclear weapons.

Critics have argued that any nuclear attack on Cleveland would be an improvement.
    Last edited by BOSS302; 07-24-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Thread Information