Thread: The Marine E-5

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default The Marine E-5

What does it mean to be a Sergeant of Marines? From what I have seen lately it apparently does not mean that much. There appears to be a gap somewhere in the system. A Marine E-5 can be anywhere from a 2 year Marine to a 13 year Marine. They are considered peers, equals. There are many occupational specialties where it is perfectly normal to never even see E-4 within your first enlistment, or at least until right before you get out, 0351 is an example. How can a 20 year old, fresh out of high school, be a Sergeant of Marines and not just an E-5? The Marine Sergeant has been over-saturated with E-5's. In the current climate for competition, careerism has allowed E-5's to excel beyond the Sergeant without merit. The Marine Corps must implement control measure to prevent the careerist from excelling without merit and/or experience. I could throw out some control measures such as time in service, but that would reduce creativity. What can we do to preserve the Sergeant of Marines? I feel they are the vital link between past and present Marine Corps.
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: The Marine E-5

There are actually a lot of things you can do, Marines would just rather complain. Marines tend to just go through the motions and hope theyre in the zone. They hit all of the wickets but don't actually separate themselves from their peers. Both of my SNCO promotions I was not in any type of zone, but I still managed to get promoted. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK; but rather honestly and brutally all part of that entitlement mentality everyone seems to have these days. "I've been a Sgt for x amount of years, went to Sgt's course and did x amount of deploymets. I deserve to be a SNCO". Well guess what so did every other Sgt. Did you do a B billet, are you engaged with your senior commanders (IE reccomending policy and change), community service, college, holding higher billets of responcibility and most importantly updating your OMPF? When was the last time your Gunny or SgtMaj gave a fitrep class? Ask them to review your fitrep. You have to sell yourself to the board. Save a copy of your fitrep and email it to your RS. Did you know he doesn't get to see the last page of your fitrep when he takes it? The last page doesn't auto populate like the billet discription and acomplishments pages do.If you aren't doing all of those things you will not get promoted.

There are a lot of other things, but what it comes down to is "the whole Marine concept". Why are YOU special and why does the Marine Corps need to promote you?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I see many excellent suggestions and I will add them to the toolbox. This post however is not about being promoted to SNCO but rather getting promoted to Sgt. I see way too many Sgts these days that are being promoted while still in their second year of service. How much personal and professional experience can a Marine possibly have with only about a year of working in your MOS (after MCRD and MOS school). Is that all the experience a Marine needs to become "the backbone of the Marine Corps" as people are calling it?
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Assaultdog0351 View Post
    I see many excellent suggestions and I will add them to the toolbox. This post however is not about being promoted to SNCO but rather getting promoted to Sgt. I see way too many Sgts these days that are being promoted while still in their second year of service. How much personal and professional experience can a Marine possibly have with only about a year of working in your MOS (after MCRD and MOS school). Is that all the experience a Marine needs to become "the backbone of the Marine Corps" as people are calling it?
    Quite frankly I agree with you. By the time I got out in 2009 the Marine Corps was becoming saturated with E-5's. I say that because they sure as hell didn't act like Sergeants at all, sometimes they didn't even act like NCO's to begin with. I was in 8 years and got out as a Corporal, and my platoon literally had 15 Sergeants, 4 Corporals, and 3 LCpl's. Talk about disparity in the ranks. We Corporals and LCpl's had to do all the work, and we had 2 Sergeants per lower enlisted. Talk about confusing, I would get a order from 1 and do it that way, and then another Sergeant would come by and say he/she didn't like it like that.
    Another thing is that these Sergeants are becoming Sergeants so fast that they know next to nothing about how to deal with personnel issues with junior Marines. When I as a Corporal have to actually tell a Sergeant how things are done with a LCpl's paperwork or issue and he/she has no idea. Then there is a problem. Since 2003 all it has become in non-infantry battalions is for people to get promoted is to check off the box. Then these Marines would try and tell me how the Marine Corps really is, all the while I have led Marines in Combat and got a award for it. Then there is a problem.
    But it's not like this Commandant even cares. All he wants to do is interfere in things and try to "crush" Marines.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Assaultdog0351 View Post

I agree with this completely.

This is speculation, but I think this has to do with a lot of SNCO's not grading their Marines properly. Most SNCO's dont know how to correctly use the IRAM, heck I would bet some dont even know what it is. I dont think a lot of leaders are taking into the account of the whole Marine Concept. It has inflated pros and cons. Ive seen Marines with 4.8 pros and cons with a low 1st class pft and sharpshooter on the range. That is not an Excellent Marine, he is average or maybe because of work performance above average. Thats the problem with the manual itsself though. Its left open for Interpretation of wat an excellent Marine really is.

Perhaps another reason was the draw up and now the shrink down. The More Marines you have, the more leaders you need. On the flip side the more leaders that get out (IE early retirement, EAS etc), the more you need. Also with the creation of new MOS's comes new promotion oppertunities and lat moves. Those guys usually get worked out of the system though and dont become carrier Marines.
    Last edited by iluvdrt; 08-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
    I agree with this completely.

This is speculation, but I think this has to do with a lot of SNCO's not grading their Marines properly. Most SNCO's dont know how to correctly use the IRAM, heck I would bet some dont even know what it is. I dont think a lot of leaders are taking into the account of the whole Marine Concept. It has inflated pros and cons. Ive seen Marines with 4.8 pros and cons with a low 1st class pft and sharpshooter on the range. That is not an Excellent Marine, he is average or maybe because of work performance above average. Thats the problem with the manual itsself though. Its left open for Interpretation of wat an excellent Marine really is.

Perhaps another reason was the draw up and now the shrink down. The More Marines you have, the more leaders you need. On the flip side the more leaders that get out (IE early retirement, EAS etc), the more you need. Also with the creation of new MOS's comes new promotion oppertunities and lat moves. Those guys usually get worked out of the system though and dont become carrier Marines.
    I personally believe it is because of NCO's and SNCO's not being able to read the IRAM right. I have been in units where you were SH&T HOT if you had a 4.4/4.4 then I have heard of units where people complain about having 4.7/4.8. Also it's about people knowing their job and the necessities that go along with that. I can't stand board Marines at all, they couldn't lead a horse to water if they tried.

Thread Information