Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transparency in Courts-Martials

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Transparency in Courts-Martials

Bold move...the Navy has published the results of all courts-martials since Jaunary....

http://www.navy.mil/docs/MasterCourt..._01-062013.pdf
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Transparency in Courts-Martials

At a Special Court-Martial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, an O-3 was tried for dereliction of
    duty. The panel of members returned a verdict of guilty to the charge and awarded no
    punishment.

I wouldnt mind hearing the backstory for this one.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raider8169 View Post
    At a Special Court-Martial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, an O-3 was tried for dereliction of
    duty. The panel of members returned a verdict of guilty to the charge and awarded no
    punishment.

I wouldnt mind hearing the backstory for this one.
    Probably was handled administratively (i.e., letter of counseling/caution, LOI or any number of other alternatives) which wouldn't involve having the court formally administer punishment.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    Probably was handled administratively (i.e., letter of counseling/caution, LOI or any number of other alternatives) which wouldn't involve having the court formally administer punishment.
    But on this one, they put the administrative punishment on there too;

At a General Court-Martial in Washington, DC, an O-4 was tried for aggravated sexual assault, fraternization, indecent acts, and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman. The panel of members returned a verdict of not guilty to aggravated sexual assault but guilty to the remaining charges and awarded a letter of reprimand, forfeiture of $2500 per month for 24 months, and 60 days confinement.

I LOVE how they say they were "awarded" their punishment...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    But on this one, they put the administrative punishment on there too;

At a General Court-Martial in Washington, DC, an O-4 was tried for aggravated sexual assault, fraternization, indecent acts, and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman. The panel of members returned a verdict of not guilty to aggravated sexual assault but guilty to the remaining charges and awarded a letter of reprimand, forfeiture of $2500 per month for 24 months, and 60 days confinement.

There's a lot they can do to crush an officer's career that you don't read about.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Mustang View Post
    There's a lot they can do to crush an officer's career that you don't read about.
    I GET that...the point is they published the results and the result was no punishment. True just having the conviction will likely end his career but to say that he probably got some sort of administrative punishment that wasn't listed is highly unlikely since the other case lists the administrative action as part of the punishment.

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I wouldn't go so far as to call 60 days confinement and, assuming it's not a typo, $60,000 in forfeiture "no punishment."
    "I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." -Fox Mulder

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to call 60 days confinement and, assuming it's not a typo, $60,000 in forfeiture "no punishment."
    Not sure where you got that from;

"At a Special Court-Martial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, an O-3 was tried for dereliction of duty. The panel of members returned a verdict of guilty to the charge and awarded no punishment."

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Mustang View Post
    Yep. I knew the Ltjg who was the propulsion plant watch officer of #2 plant, on board the Big E, when she went aground, 600 yards from the home port pier, on the last day of her deployment (1983). He was found to be partially responsible for the grounding, because, even though he'd been told by his watch team, numerous times, to light off the main circ water pump, he failed to order it done, and that main engine's condenser lost vacuum (forcing the shut down of that engine, until vacuum could be re-drawn in the condenser). It was a foolish mistake, done by a jerkwad of a junior officer (who thought his sh*t didn't stink), who allowed himself to become overwhelmed by what was going on, and focused too much on inconsequential matters.

The letter of reprimand he received kept him from being chosen for selection to Lt (O-3), and effectively ended his Naval career. Amazingly, in a gesture of goodwill, the Navy offered him, about 6 months shy of the end of his 5-year service agreement, to give him that rank, basically in exchange for his resignation letter (that way, he'd get out as an O-3, and not have to suffer the embarassment, while searching for future employment of explaining away his lack of rank). After the incident, and prior to this, this officer, who had previously been a real a-hole, had become pretty meek and mild mannered, because he knew that everyone knew it had been HIS screwup, and his alone, that had really caused the casualty to that main engine. But once he put on the "railroad tracks", he turned right back into the same jackass he'd been before!

No one shed a tear when he left, that's for sure!! Strangely enough, last year, when I went to Norfolk to attend the Big E deactivation/retirement ceremony, I actually ran into the officer who had shared a stateroom with this dipstick Lt, and we got to talking. He told me that pretty much every officer in the wardroom felt the same way about him, that all of us lowly enlisted folks had!!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    I was thinking that too...sounds so odd.

Thread Information